Getting my gym to change the music

SimonSage

Jan 6, 2012
Visit site
So, my gym has been using the same damned mix for our kickboxing class for months now, and it's driving me nuts. I'm trying to figure out a reasonable solution to present to them, likely involving smartphones in some way. Here's what I've got so far...

Get them to sign up for an Rdio subscription. Get a Bluetooth adapter for their speaker system, and another for their front-desk PC, in case the instructors don't have an iPhone handy. The big step would be to get those at the gym to use this app called Anthm, where they can vote on which songs make it on the playlist. I don't have high hopes for playlist participation, especially since there's no web component or an Android app, but it would be worth a shot.

Have you guys had any similar situations? Any smart solutions, possibly less complicated than this?

kch50428

Oct 22, 2010
Visit site
Places like Gyms (the ones that care about not getting sued by BMI, ASCAP, etc...) can't just play any music they please... they have to buy licenses to use the music they do use - thus, the stale playlist.

Massie

Feb 9, 2010
Visit site
How about just suggesting they use Pandora? They have business-friendly options and you wouldn't have to get the whole gym membership involved (never going to happen).

ApptivGames

Aug 13, 2012
Visit site
Getting gyms to change their music is more painful than pulling teeth... I've never managed to figure out how to convince them that their endless selection of Brittney Spears techno remixes is NOT "cool."

A pandora subscription sounds like a good idea. It could actually be kind of cool to let your gym members crowdsource the music. Only problem is, you may not like the resulting crowdsourced music any better than the current stuff!

GingerSnapsBack

Oct 18, 2011
Visit site
Places like Gyms (the ones that care about not getting sued by BMI, ASCAP, etc...) can't just play any music they please... they have to buy licenses to use the music they do use - thus, the stale playlist.

For the bicycle and step aerobics classes, YMCA I go to plays music through a local radio station. Guess they don't care about getting sued.

For the Zumba classes, it's preselected tracks included with the Zumba DVDs.

kch50428

Oct 22, 2010
Visit site
For the bicycle and step aerobics classes, YMCA I go to plays music through a local radio station. Guess they don't care about getting sued.

For the Zumba classes, it's preselected tracks included with the Zumba DVDs.

The Zumba DVDs are more than likely properly licensed... playing a radio station over a speaker system is a grey area in the copyright/licensing realm... could the YMCA be challenged on it? Yes, but it's not very likely.

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
smitty22d2