Goodbye Jailbreak :(

bamf-hacker

Apple Watch and AirPod Champion, Ambassador
Champion
Nov 2, 2009
Visit site
Well I am back to stock, well half back to stock. I un jail broke my iPhone 5. My mini is still jail broken though :)

Even with the few tweaks I had, the stability of the phone had diminished. Nothing horrible, or really nothing I couldn't live with, but since I ran stock for so long I was used to a set performance and I no longer had that.

6.1.3 will be out soon and I would have to unjailbreak then anyway so I just took care of that now. :(

Last edited:

prophecyc2

Feb 12, 2011
Visit site
I have a ton of tweaks installed with no performance issuesnni think youre reaching. And don't update to 6.1.3. Easy

fridayxiii

Jul 27, 2009
Visit site
Just curious: what kinda stability issues did you have, and can you list the tweaks you had installed?

I have an iPhone 5 as well, running 6.1 and really haven't had any significant issues. I think that folders are a tad slower opening, but app launching and switching seems to be just as fast for me. I haven't had any crashes, lock-ups, or anything of the like.

I know what you mean, though, about having a certain level of performance that just becomes expected, the norm. One of my concerns was battery life (mine has been great), so I've stayed away from Live Papers, some auto-polling tweaks, apps like Intelliscreen, etc. that are suspected of sucking battery life.

IMHO stock iOS isn't as bad or as boring as some make it out to be. I enjoy the jailbreak but I wouldn't be ill if I had to revert to stock.

bamf-hacker

Apple Watch and AirPod Champion, Ambassador
Champion
Nov 2, 2009
Visit site
Anytime you jailbreak you lose stability. Anyone who says they jailbreak, install tweaks and say they never had a restart, or respring, or freeze on their phone, in my opinion are full of it ;) and just trying to talk up jailbreaking. Don't get me wrong, I am not at all against JB'ng, actually I am all for it. Its been less than 24 hours and I am already missing Messages+ :)

I had a very streamlined tweak install:

Activator
Auxo
CallBar
DietBulletin
FolderCloser
FullForce for iPhone
iFile
Messages+
Mobile Terminal
ShowCase
Zephyr

As for not upgrading to 6.1.3, I manage the mobility division at work. I need to upgrade to test versions of iOS before we allow deployment of the OS to our user base.

Lozi

Oct 13, 2011
Visit site
Well, there sure are restarts and resprings due to new tweaks and incompatibilities, but there is also a developer community working day to day to improve stability, when a tweak has issues I just uninstall and track it til the updated version with the fix is out. As of right now I have an extensive list of tweaks that have not caused resets or forced me into safe mode for a while, and performance is great.

Ipheuria

Jul 21, 2009
Visit site
Anytime you jailbreak you lose stability. Anyone who says they jailbreak, install tweaks and say they never had a restart, or respring, or freeze on their phone, in my opinion are full of it ;) and just trying to talk up jailbreaking. Don't get me wrong, I am not at all against JB'ng, actually I am all for it. Its been less than 24 hours and I am already missing Messages+ :)

I had a very streamlined tweak install:

Activator
Auxo
CallBar
DietBulletin
FolderCloser
FullForce for iPhone
iFile
Messages+
Mobile Terminal
ShowCase
Zephyr

As for not upgrading to 6.1.3, I manage the mobility division at work. I need to upgrade to test versions of iOS before we allow deployment of the OS to our user base.

lol I guess I'm full of it then :0( in the early days when I was running JBen on my 1st gen and iPhone 3G I had the odd reboot but never had lockups or crashing beyond the first month when the JB was new and everything was being updated. On my iPhone 5 however with my usual list of tweaks I haven't had any stability issues, decrease in performance or battery life. I have had stability issues with Bulletin, ISX and previously with LI5 but those are not on my normal list I was just testing them out to see if one of them would do what I wanted. I'm a very functional JB user I use tweaks that enhance the features things that Apple wont give me. I do use themes to customize my phone but I incorporate all the aspects I want and create into one theme I never have multiple themes doing different thiings. I also never leave JB apps running because most of the things I use are just to perform a function and then I close it (Winterboard, iFile, Activator) I open it do what I have to do and then I kill it in the app switcher once I am done. My list as you will see is not very long and maybe it's that with a combination of how I use the JB I don't know

Infinidock
NCSettings
iFile
BiteSMS
NoSpot
Zeppelin
Winterboard
Activator
Showcase

Winterboard has two themes all the default themes I delete the minute after I get it since I never use them anyway. The two themes are my own custom themes and that is all. I switch between the themes and stock whenever I get bored and change my wallpaper and lock screen daily. Recently this is the first time I have used Lockinfo extensively.

natasftw

Sep 13, 2012
Visit site

Anyone who says they never experienced a reboot while stock is equally full of it. Resprings aren't a sign of instability. People that go back to stock purely for "performance" reasons are full of it :p You've given up performance to avoid the 15 second hassle of a reboot followed by clicking "Exit Safe Mode." You've confused performance with stability. Yes, stock is more stable. No, it doesn't perform at a higher level.

As far as managing the mobility division, install a profile on the company phones that requires a passcode to prevent them from jailbreaking. If you manage it, I'm sure you have authority to acquire one of their phones for a bit to test the new iOS versions. Seeing as we've seen a few quick updates, we can reasonably suggest those were used to clean up the bugs in 6.1. The primary focus of 6.1.3 is closing the jailbreak. It's not an update that's a rush, by any means.

There's no need to be overly dramatic about the decision. If you like stock better, it's cool to go back. But, don't try to rationalize it with irrational logic.

3cit

Nov 6, 2011
Visit site
Not to pile on here buy your "streamlined" jailbreak was anything but!
You had three different apps that affected the app switcher, three different status bar tweaks, and a few system wide tweaks that could have different effects on differently written apps!

I think that's where the real instability comes in!
Jailbreak, install bite and nothing else? you might forget your jailbroken after a while!
Jailbreak and install ncsettings and nothin else. Might forget your jailbroken.
Jailbreak and install isx and nothing else, you might forget your?
See where I'm going with all this?
However, jailbreak and install clean status and another status bar tweak and you might get loads of resprings.
I jailbroken a friend of mines phone and my wife's. They have bite, and I don't know what else, but not Alot and neither of them have ever said anything to me about safe mode or reboots.
That being said, I couldn't tell you with any certainty that I've had an entire day with a safe mode or a forced reboot!!
It's possible, maybe even two in a tow! But certainly not the norm!!!
But that's not an issue for me! I think I might even like "fixing" it?

brendu

Dec 8, 2010
Visit site
I also had zephyr and auxo on my iPhone 5 and found that zephyr was causing random resprings at least once a day. I just decided to restore to factory settings last night because stability is more important to me than these tweaks...

iceage2609

Jan 18, 2013
Visit site
I also had zephyr and auxo on my iPhone 5 and found that zephyr was causing random resprings at least once a day. I just decided to restore to factory settings last night because stability is more important to me than these tweaks...

Zephyr or auxo alone cause the same crash results or resprings ? I am talking for a Conflict issue or something like that.

I am not having Auxo and since your post i was guessing that IntelliscreenX was the guilty tweak but now i am afraid that zephyr or the combination with other major tweaks has problems.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

by1333

Oct 12, 2010
Visit site
Thats funny.. I just unjailbroke my self.. for some reason my mic stopped working and no1 on phone could hear me... restored and updated to 6.1.2... thinking of re jailbreaking though.. I miss my Pandora downloader..

nj1266

Jun 24, 2011
Visit site
When I had my iphone 4 and jailbroke it for the first time, I kept adding tweaks until it started crashing and respringing. It became annoying. I have learned my lesson. With the iphone 5 I have kept my tweaks to a minimum:

Activator
SBSettings
Assistant Love
Infinifolders
Springtomize 2
TetherMe
Zepphyr
Forecast
3G Unrestrictor
Sleep Depriver

They are all tweaks that add practicality and functionality to my iphone 5. So far the phone has been rock solid with no re-springs/reboots/crashes. It is the KISS principle :)

Last edited:

anon(4698833)

Banned
Sep 7, 2010
Visit site
I've noticed ZERO performance or stability changes between my stock iOS setup and the recent jailbroken one...and I've tweaked quite a bit all over the map. Like modifying cars, it's all in how you do it and what you do...two people could be an exhaust system on a car and experience totally different results (good and bad) depending on many factors, and to make a blanket statement like above, implying that a jailbreak will reduce stability on the iPhone for all users is simply not true...

patricksmangan

Nov 26, 2010
Visit site
I think I'm having a little more performance issues & safe modes on complete reboot on jailbroken 6.1.2 compared to 5.0.1. But I think all my tweaks either make using the iPhone faster, more intuitive, or just a better looking ui, so I think the benefits of jailbreak outweighs going back to stock.

saichick04

Nov 2, 2011
Visit site
I too am back to stock. Only bc my phone was slow and I mean slow. I even compared opening apps on my friends jailbroken iphone 4s. The only jailbreak app she has is MyWi. The phone responds just like it's stock. Now my phone had glaskart, ios6 colorful status,...alot of stuff on it lol. I decided to just restore as new last night and rejailbreak some time this week for just MyWi. :) I can't stay away from a jailbreak for too long but I had to restore. I would unlock my phone and HALF the apps would be missing. I'd have to do mulitple resprings just for them to appear again. Sometimes I'd click an app and it would just flash and take me back to my springboard. I just have to calm it down on the tweaks. I didn't think I had too many but it looks like I did.

There's nothing wrong with jailbreaking, not liking it and going back to stock. That's the great thing about Apple it's so easy to do it and undo it. Android? No way once you're rooted you're rooted unless you run a long command prompt program and hope it takes you back to where you started. Those phones are getting harder and harder to root. Once rooted you can do alot and it's great but the journey back to stock is often stressful. Of course this is all from my personal experience. Everyone is different.