Optimize Photos still gives me the out of storage message. Why?

I

iMore Question

Optimize Photos still gives me the out of storage message.

I have the optimize storage option turned on. However, my iPhone still gives me out of storage messages when taking photos etc.

1.) Why isn't IOS more aggressive about pushing my photos to iCloud and off of my device?
2.) Is there anyway to just keep all my photos in iCloud and just take minimal room on my phone.

No plug intended, but Google Photos does this, pushing them to Google and then allowing you to delete them on the phone, while still allowing you to browse them when you have an Internet connection.

Just_Me_D

Ambassador Team Leader, Senior Moderator
Jan 8, 2012
Visit site
Re: Optimize Photos still gives me the out of storage message.

Which storage are you running out of? iCloud storage or local storage? If it's iCloud storage, you need to purchase additional iCloud storage or offload the pics, music, videos, etc., to your computer, external drive or other cloud service. If it's your local storage, offload the pics, music, videos, etc., to your computer, an external drive or a different cloud service

TechFranz

Mar 21, 2016
Visit site

It is just the local storage on my iPhone that I am running out of. Since I have purchased 50GB of iCloud storage it seems like my storage issues should be managed automatically without the need for another cloud provider, but they are not.

Just_Me_D

Ambassador Team Leader, Senior Moderator
Jan 8, 2012
Visit site

I agree, and hopefully, iOS 10 will bring better iCloud management. iCloud, at least in my opinion, is more of a sync function than it is a storage solution. Photo Stream allows for up to 1000 pics or 30 days worth of pics (whichever comes first) to be stored without counting against the iCloud storage allotment. For those of you who have purchased additional iCloud storage, those pics should automatically be transferred to your iCloud storage after the 30 days instead of being deleted, and for those of us who still have the allotted 5 GB iCloud storage, those pics should be transferred as well, as long as we haven't exceeded the 5 GB capacity limit.

TechFranz

Mar 21, 2016
Visit site

If "Photo Stream" is the Old School moving system and iCloud is the new one, I would be better off leaving Photo Stream off? What do I lose if I turn Photo Stream off since all my devices are iCloud capable and I don't have any photo stream albums. Perhaps that will solve my out of storage issues.

TechFranz

Mar 21, 2016
Visit site

If Photo Stream and ICloud are two separate different systems then:

Here is what I am trying:
1.) Disable Photo Stream on all devices(Caution: This deletes Photo Stream Photos albums on all devices and on the Web.)
2.) Leave iCloud Photo Library enabled and leave Optimize Photos turned on on my iPhone.

I hope I stop getting the out of storage messages and can continue to backup and share photos.