WWJD (What would Jobs Do)

Jan 20, 2014
Visit site
I also don't think he would have liked the 5c.

I actually disagree with this one. Since it was under Jobs the first colorful iMacs appeared. I think he would've love the 5C colors.

Well, I would of hoped that he'd have liked it. Considering it's my very first iPhone, I'm a better person for it. I think a lot of people who have the 5c enjoy it immensely like I do.

jmr1015

Aug 27, 2013
Visit site
I don't think Jobs would have used a case. He and Jony put a lot of effort in the the physical appearance of the iPhone... and getting a damaged phone replaced wouldn't exactly be an issue.

As for the wider comments on how Jobs would feel about screen size and such: Didn't Steve leave behind like 5 years of plans for the future of Apple? I thought Jony Ive mentioned that the iPad Air was part of that extended plan... I would also assume that he was actively involved in some aspects of the ideas and designs for the iPhone 5, considering it was likely in development before his passing. There is also documented email conversations where Jobs addresses the idea of a lower cost iPhone. Whether or not this directly led to the iPhone 5C, I do not know.

I'm not sure if his future road map was detail oriented on specific features and design decisions, or more of a generalized direction for products and strategy, but I don't feel like Steve would be against much that Apple is doing today. I think the iPhone 6 Plus is the only device really pushing the boundaries of what Steve may or may not have approved of.

Last edited:

jmr1015

Aug 27, 2013
Visit site
This excerpt is from an internal email, from Steve Jobs to Phil Schiller, in October 2010, regarding presentations to be given during their Top 100 meeting early the following year. This section refers to the iPhone specifically, and bullet points the subjects the presentation would cover:

"- 2011 Strategy:
- "plus" iPhone 4 with better antenna, processor, camera & software to stay ahead of competitors until mid 2012
- have LTE version in mid-2012
- create low cost iPhone model based on iPod touch to replace 3GS
- Business & competitive update
- show Droid and RIM ads
- Verizon iPhone
- schedule, marketing, ...
- iPhone 5 hardware
- H4 performance
- new antenna design, etc
- new camera
- schedule
- CONFIDENTIAL
- cost goal
- show model (and/or renderings) - Jony
"

So they were thinking about the iPhone 5 a full year before the iPhone 4S released, and a year before Steve's passing... with Jony having renderings or a physical model of the 5 ready for this presentation in early 2011, which as far as I know, Steve attended.

Steve was a great corporate strategist. He was also well aware of his health. If Steve really did lay out a framework for the next 5 years of Apple, I like to think that he left behind clear guidance for the general spirit of the iPhone 6, and possibly beyond to the 6S or even the 7. Perhaps not specific design plans or feature content, but a strategy of some kind.

bunjy

Apr 5, 2013
Visit site
I actually disagree with this one. Since it was under Jobs the first colorful iMacs appeared. I think he would've love the 5C colors.

To each his own I guess. Unless someone is able to contact Jobs in the afterlife, I guess we'll never know what he thought about what's transpires. Looks like a job for the psychic friends network. 😉

Closingracer

Sep 24, 2014
Visit site
Do you think if he was still the top gun that the iPhone would've gotten larger than 3.5" this soon if at all?

If he didn't It wouldn't even get me to think about getting an iphone period. While I decided to get a note 4 I seriously considered getting a iPhone 6 Plus but a mishap with T-mobile's Website didn't work and needed a new phone and didn't feel like waiting till November so got the Note 4. Might change next year though

Maladroit23

Oct 16, 2014
Visit site
I asked Steve Jobs about this in 2009 at a Halloween party. He said, "Dude. I'm Not. Really. Steve. Jobs."

Last edited:

jdhooghe

Aug 25, 2013
Visit site
While I am not Jobs, I think Jobs wouldn't have been so stupid to forget the lessons of RIM. He would have seen the demand for a larger screen, I would think, just like he saw the need for a smaller iPad for those that needed more portability. Even if he didn't agree with it. I also don't think that since he preferred not using a case, he would not have cared about the protruding camera lens. Like was mentioned before, I think he set out plans for the next couple or so years but that's just what I've heard and have seen no evidence to support it.

Maladroit23

Oct 16, 2014
Visit site
While I am not Jobs, I think Jobs wouldn't have been so stupid to forget the lessons of RIM. He would have seen the demand for a larger screen, I would think, just like he saw the need for a smaller iPad for those that needed more portability. Even if he didn't agree with it. I also don't think that since he preferred not using a case, he would not have cared about the protruding camera lens. Like was mentioned before, I think he set out plans for the next couple or so years but that's just what I've heard and have seen no evidence to support it.

Agreed here.

If anything the thing Jobs wouldn't have allowed for would be iOS8's string of bugs. Unless all OS's have bugs like that. I just got into Apple so I'm not sure.

mumfoau

Ambassador
Nov 6, 2011
Visit site
Agreed here.

If anything the thing Jobs wouldn't have allowed for would be iOS8's string of bugs. Unless all OS's have bugs like that. I just got into Apple so I'm not sure.

I think all software has bugs but Apple is the best at quickly addressing issues!

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
williams77