Will Apple be "forced" to include a file system with its i-Devices in the near future?

BreakingKayfabe

Sep 12, 2008
Visit site
I don't need one.

What files are everyone trying to manage on their phone? There even any files on mine to manage. I don't even want any files on there that I would have to manage...

Excel docs, word docs, spreadsheets, etc. Common files that many people would like to manage without a third party app. Not root access. Just documents. Those are the files. I think it's fine that you don't want files on your phone. It doesn't mean that because you don't want to that there shouldn't be an argument for it to be there. If it was, you simply will have the option not to use it. Lots of people like vegetables. I hate them. With a passion. But I can't go around asking why everyone likes them if I don't. I just don't eat that stuff because I'm not being force-fed it.

mulasien

Feb 28, 2013
Visit site
I think this recent article by Rene highlights exactly *why* some sort of native first party file chooser is needed if iOS devices are going to move beyond the 'consumption device' label and be useful for 'real work'. Note, this isn't the same as a file system, which I don't think most people except for those who care about root access care about. Two completely different things.

And just to throw in a couple pre-emptive strikes:

1. No Sean, I'm not just name dropping Rene Ritchie's name here, I share the same frustrations as him, and it's not just Android fanboys who have a legitimate use for native document management (NOT A FILE SYSTEM - there is a difference!).

2. I know that third party options exist. I'm currently using those third party options you're probably about to refer to. However, those third party options are a poor band-aid and an inferior solution to a native first party option.

Article below:
iOS 8 wants: Better email attachment handling | iMore

mulasien

Feb 28, 2013
Visit site
I don't need one.

What files are everyone trying to manage on their phone? There even any files on mine to manage. I don't even want any files on there that I would have to manage...

You may not have any files to manage, and no one is going to force you at gunpoint to manage files that you don't want to manage if the feature is added. Some of us, however, have a real legitimate need for this.

At the risk of sounding snarky, some of us use our iPad for more than just sharing pictures and watching videos. Trying to incorporate any sort of workflow for 'real work' (as the popular phrase goes), is a nightmare without the use of third party apps, which are a poor band aid and an inferior solution compared to a native model.

Just try to reply to an email, and attach a PDF file from a different email. In the quest to make everything super simple and streamlined, Apple's actually made very simple tasks exceedingly complex.

RavenSword

May 16, 2013
Visit site
It be nice if they would at least let you download a app or something. But that would require apple opening up and changing a fair bit of their philosophies first I think. Very hard to do.

Nemzy

Apr 4, 2014
Visit site
No. Too much issues arise when someone has access to their file system and they have no clue what they're are doing.

That is such a typical comment that Apple themselves will make. Apple do this thing of telling you what you need and don't need. I have an iPad and i want to have a file manager on my tablet. Problems arise when people tamper with system files.

Simple solution: Provide access to areas other than system files and this is what some of the other os's do.

Apple doesn't include it, not because issue will arise but because these things streamline the os. That is what makes things like start up fast and a smoother os but it definitely takes away from core functionality.

Also if apple release file management capabilities, there could be loop holes around iTunes.

DroidArmy

Dec 13, 2013
Visit site
Will Apple be "forced" to include a file system with its i-Devices in the nea...

They'd never allow you to have direct access to the file system on iOS. That's one of the reasons it's so secure. I could definitely see an iCloud app to access everything you have stored on the service though

Sent from my iPhone 5s using Tapatalk

Almeuit

Trusted Member
Apr 14, 2014
Visit site
Re: Will Apple be "forced" to include a file system with its i-Devices in the nea...

They'd never allow you to have direct access to the file system on iOS. That's one of the reasons it's so secure. I could definitely see an iCloud app to access everything you have stored on the service though

Sent from my iPhone 5s using Tapatalk

Dunno if I'd say never. Steve Jobs said his phone was a perfect size.. And look at the rumors now.

Things change.. They have to adapt to customers and if the demand became big enough they'd give in. They could make a file manage system easily by making you have access only to a certain section.. Almost like a playground where you can create folders and manage files.. Stuff like that.. And keep the OS part on lock down.

Sent from my T-Mobile Note 3 using iMore Forums.

mulasien

Feb 28, 2013
Visit site
Re: Will Apple be "forced" to include a file system with its i-Devices in the nea...

Dunno if I'd say never. Steve Jobs said his phone was a perfect size.. And look at the rumors now.

Things change.. They have to adapt to customers and if the demand became big enough they'd give in. They could make a file manage system easily by making you have access only to a certain section.. Almost like a playground where you can create folders and manage files.. Stuff like that.. And keep the OS part on lock down.

So basically a 'document roll', similar to the existing photo roll. A sandboxed container that can store and access documents between apps, but doesn't give access to the core OS files.

I think that outside of the jailbreak/rooting community, this is actually what the majority of people want. Not a file system. Big difference.

Almeuit

Trusted Member
Apr 14, 2014
Visit site

So basically a 'document roll', similar to the existing photo roll. A sandboxed container that can store and access documents between apps, but doesn't give access to the core OS files.

I think that outside of the jailbreak/rooting community, this is actually what the majority of people want. Not a file system. Big difference.

Exactly :).

mulasien

Feb 28, 2013
Visit site

I'm gonna necro bump this in light of the iOS8 announcements.

Looks like we're getting EXACTLY what many of us have been hoping for, and quite frankly I'm pumped.

Most people (outside those who care about jailbreaking and related things) don't actually want or need a full file explorer. They just want to be able to download documents that aren't pictures to their phones, and be able to use those files in other apps.

Not only are we getting that now, but those locally saved documents will also be cloud synced as well. It's like the best of all worlds! :D

Anyways, I'm a happy camper now.

BreakingKayfabe

Sep 12, 2008
Visit site

I'm gonna necro bump this in light of the iOS8 announcements.

Looks like we're getting EXACTLY what many of us have been hoping for, and quite frankly I'm pumped.

Most people (outside those who care about jailbreaking and related things) don't actually want or need a full file explorer. They just want to be able to download documents that aren't pictures to their phones, and be able to use those files in other apps.

Not only are we getting that now, but those locally saved documents will also be cloud synced as well. It's like the best of all worlds! :D

Anyways, I'm a happy camper now.

Exactly. Just eliminates other PITA steps to accomplish it.

Trees

Dec 26, 2012
Visit site

This was long overdue. For those who have the iOS 8 beta and OS X 10.10, how is the experience now?

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
smitty22d2