Puzzling sentiment I've noticed regarding adding new features to iOS (aka, 'change is bad')

mulasien

Feb 28, 2013
Visit site
I've noticed a very puzzling, curious sentiment from several people concerning wish lists of features to iOS7, which has frankly baffled me.

We've all read wish lists of features we'd want to have in iOS7, including several on iMore.com as well, among which are requests such as a file system (or files.api), unified iMessage experience, toggles and widgets and quick actions, oh my!, and etc.

What puzzles me are people who have replied that since they don't have use for such features (which is fine), they don't want to see it included for fear that it will ruin the experience and stability that they enjoy in iOS right now. Almost as if to say "this is a new thing that I don't plan on using, therefore it will negatively impact me", which further compresses down to "I don't want my phone to change, because anything different will only be bad".

However, note that I've never used spotlight search on my phone. Nothing wrong with it, it's just a feature that I don't use. However, I've never once believed that the inclusion of spotlight search has had any negative impact on my device. Rather, it's just been invisible to me with no impact.

For those who have never used the notification drop down, or the multitasking menu, etc., have the inclusion of these features actually caused your phone/tablet to run poorly due to its existence, or have they just been 'invisible' features that have no impact on you one way or another?

Most unfortunately, having spent a considerable amount of time in both the Android and Apple communities I see this happening almost exclusively on the Apple side of the fence which does lend to reinforce existing negative stereotypes about Apple fans being technophobes ('iSheep', etc).

I don't really have a question to pose to the board here, just that I've noticed this sentiment more times than I'd like to admit. And frankly, it bothers me.

What do you think?

kilcher

Jul 11, 2010
Visit site
Plain and simple. People think time spent on features they don't want is time not spent on features they do want.

anon(4698833)

Banned
Sep 7, 2010
Visit site
Having read many of the iOS 7 threads on this forum...I think the more suitable stance many of them have is that they do not wish to chance an unstable environment for new "features" (that many view as gimmicks).

Now I do agree that there are some really hard headed users that complain about any shift in the winds, regardless of what it effects (or doesn't)...but I tend to side with a lot of people who are apprehensive to new functions at the risk of a clumsy iOS, but with the changes happening around the smartphone world, one can only assume that iOS will eventually see some clutter as well...as long as the OS remains relatively clean and polished, I'm not overly concerned with new things, i just don't want to have the same issues you experience and read about across the pond on the Android OS.

I don't think the technophobe stereotype is accurate though...think about this, in the 90's, Honda purely dominated the market with reliable, albeit simple, cars. People loved them, people remained loyal to them...and while they could be found to be a bit boring in the scheme of things, that's what people wanted, a car they could drive without effort for next to nothing to maintain. Then in the 2000's...Honda decided to match rest of the car world with new technology, and that is when the snowball started rolling, and now, only about 10 years later, Honda is struggling to be the #3 or #4 manufacturer, their consumer reviews are so bad at times that they have redesigned a car after only a single year of manufacturing...they are now living in a nightmare of being both undesirable and coming off of 4-5 years of their reliability being questioned (something they held firm as #1 for decades).

Smartphone's arnt cars obviously, and the investment is legitimately lesser so many of the arguments are a bit moot...but I can understand some of it, when people get into an environment they love because of certain reasons, when something comes down the pipe that COULD change that (for better or worse), it can cause some strife.

Ipheuria

Jul 21, 2009
Visit site
My thing is an update to an OS should make things easier, quicker to complete and more efficient for users. So while everyone wants a new look I just want better features. If they can do both that's cool but if they do one(looks) while sacrificing the other that sucks.
I can understand the point of not wanting something you don't use. I don't use spotlight and the first thing I do each time I jailbreak is to install NoSpot. Simply because when I swipe to the right by mistake and get spotlight that wastes my time. It's not something I would belly ache about if there was no jailbreak tweak like you said I just wouldn't do it.
As for the isheep reference I hate that. I'm an iPhone user and I'm not an isheep. There are stereotypes for Android users but I don't use them because they are people and buy whatever they want with their hard earned money. So thinking that because a large number of users you've encountered are one way doesn't mean that all others are or that even if they were that doesn't justify the use of iSheep IMO. The term iSheep to me means that they buy it just because they are told to and the only thing that matters to me is whose choice was it? whose money was it?

BlackBerry Guy

Trusted Member
Mar 4, 2011
Visit site
I've noticed that while iOS has been adding features on with each major update, Apple's done a fairly good job with keeping everything consistent and familiar. They've added things on without ever being in your face about it. You can pick up current a iOS device and use it like a 1st gen device without ever going into the swipe down notification bar, the spot light search, or the app switcher. They enhance the experience of those who want to use it, but do not detract from those who do not. I've watched how my parents use their iPads - tap to go into an app, home button to get out. As for me, I make full use of the gestures and the app switcher..barely touch the home button. The end result is the same. How you get there is up to you.

As for the "change is bad" thing, it's not just with iOS or Android. With the new BlackBerry 10 OS and devices being recently launched, there's been some very vocal members over on CB who are clinging to the past glories of the old BBOS.

cardfan

Oct 26, 2004
Visit site
Change can be bad though. Look at windows 8. It didn't exactly add "invisible" features. It was very visible, in your face, bloat that you have to work at to hide or avoid. Along with getting rid of the visual candy in favor of flat UI.

I think we can all agree that Apple needs a slight refresh to their UI. It doesn't get any simpler than a screen of icons, tap one. What I'd want is an easier way to organize (and quickly get to) the hundreds of apps that can get put on a phone. In safari, we have a list of bookmarks to scroll down. I'd like a version of this for apps.

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
smitty22d2