Upgrade fee question

iLive an iLife

Trusted Member
Feb 27, 2011
Visit site
Hey all,

Quick question for anyone who is knowledgable about Verizon policies. I know they recently raised their upgrade fee in April.

I have a corporate discount on our plan and all activation/upgrade fees have always been waived. I'm looking at getting the iPhone 5 in the next couple of months (transferring an upgrade to my line, getting the iPhone 5 and giving my Dad my 4S). I was wondering if I'd have to pay an upgrade fee, so I just called Verizon. The girl I spoke with told me I would have to pay the upgrade fee and I've never been waived in the past (the only waived fees were for activation). I just accepted that answer, thanked her and hung up. As soon as I clicked end, I realized that wasn't true. We upgraded my Mum to an iPhone in January and the sales rep said the upgrade fee was waived. I would call back, but there was an extremely long wait with all the iPhone 5 preorders. Thoughts anyone?

Sent from my iPhone 4S using Tapatalk

gmonday

Sep 15, 2012
Visit site
I was told the same thing today. I also have an employee discount. I mentioned that when I upgraded my kids phones, there was no fee. Mind you that was before this came into effect in April of this year. I was told the fee couldn't be waived. It really bothered me that my $50 upgrade credit is really only $20 - if you take the $30 upgrade fee into account.

I'm looking into Sprint now. My biggest problem is coverage. I believe Verizon has the best coverage in my area. I was also in a spotty coverage area in NC - and had no problem.

I'm worried about the data plan though. Right now I have unlimited data for my current phone. My kids got their smart phones after unlimited data was abolished.

Now I'm thinking of waiting the two months I have left on my contract - so I can jump ship if I want. Or I may bite the bullet - and pay the phone cost up front - so I'm not tied into a monthly contract.

Fausty82

Jun 23, 2010
Visit site
It's the latest thing in money grabs... All the cool wireless providers are doing it...

But seriously, it is getting out of control. And it will only get worse as time goes by...

iLive an iLife

Trusted Member
Feb 27, 2011
Visit site
Ahhhh, ok. Thanks for the input fellas. I think it's the "after April policy" that's making the difference here. I may call them once the iPhone mania settles down or just stop into a retail store. We've been with Verizon for 7 years maybe I'll get a "loyalty" credit - doubtful but I can dream haha!

Fausty82

Jun 23, 2010
Visit site
Ahhhh, ok. Thanks for the input fellas. I think it's the "after April policy" that's making the difference here. I may call them once the iPhone mania settles down or just stop into a retail store. We've been with Verizon for 7 years maybe I'll get a "loyalty" credit - doubtful but I can dream haha!

I hope you do. After 11 years with AT&T (in all of it's various iterations), I actually LOST ground this time around. Grrrr

iLive an iLife

Trusted Member
Feb 27, 2011
Visit site
My Dad's actually been itching to switch to Sprint. Their coverage in our area isn't that great but I don't think Verizon is interested in hearing about our potential switch. They'd probably help us carry our bags out the door haha!

Last edited:

Trending Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
smitty22d2