"Negotiating" a plan?

devonair

Nov 30, 2008
Visit site
I'm curious: has anyone had any success negotiating the monthly price on a new account? I've starting to be won over by the "device" side of the iPhone equation... but I just can't stomach paying about $20-30 more each month for the same minutes/data/sms that I could get on Sprint (with whom I've actually been a happy customer for over 8 years). I know, I know: some would say that's part of having a "better" phone -- but its tempting to save the monthly money and stick with a Touch Pro or Treo Pro (I'm very comfortable/happy with WinMo) on Sprint.

...but if I could somehow talk a CSR into getting my monthly down to a similar rate, I would switch in a minute.

I ask, because I've had a lot of success talking Sprint rep's into discounts over time, and I've been able to do the same with cable companies... retail stores... but I've never dealt with ATT before, so don't know if the store sales people even have the power (or inclination) to make a deal. Anyone with experience?

cjvitek

Jul 5, 2008
Visit site
If I recall, sprint plans are cheaper because their phones generally cost more. That is probably what a car will tell you.

devonair

Nov 30, 2008
Visit site
Hmm... so I just found out from a friend that he was hooked up by an ATT sales rep with a 20% discount on his monthly bill -- and yes, he has an iPhone.

Jeremy

Retired Moderator
Mar 27, 2005
www.iMore.com
Hmm... so I just found out from a friend that he was hooked up by an ATT sales rep with a 20% discount on his monthly bill -- and yes, he has an iPhone.

It might be from his job. That's the only way but there is no negotiating free messaging or data...

blakejackson

Feb 5, 2009
Visit site
The only "haggling" that you can do would be to talk to a rep about some of the older "grandfathered" plans that are sometimes available in our system. These are plans that at&t no longer advertises, but are often still available. Unfortunately, this won't save you enough money to make up the cost between at&t and Sprint. It really just depends on what you need. As far as dealing on the features though, its not going to happen.

And yes, the 20% discount only applies to employees of companies that are contracted with at&t. Most companies dont get that large of a discount. Coke employees get 24%, ups gets around 20%. Most contracted companies get between 8 and 12% off. If your friend doesn't actually work for one of these companies, the rep that set up his plan could be in danger of losing his job.

Latest posts

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
williams77