Is my soon to be ex-husband monitoring me?

I

iMore Question

My soon to be ex-husband had to purchase me a new phone, after breaking mine. We are still on the same account with AT&T, he got me the same phone as his, IPhone 6s Plus. Is there anyway he could have set the phone up to track my text, locations, phone calls (including recording them)? How can I tell he did? How can I change it? The phone is set up under his name AT&T will not help me without his permission.

dchandler

Sep 11, 2009
Visit site
Well yes there is a way to track your location, as far as phone call he can see who you called and who called you on the account. No he can't see your text messages.

Rob Phillips

iPhone X & Apple TV Champion, Moderator
Champion
May 1, 2012
Visit site
Your best bet is to erase your iPhone and set it up as a new device, change all of your passwords, and contact your carrier and request to have your line moved to a separate account under your name alone.

Instructions on erasing your phone here: https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT204686

Also, go to http://appleid.apple.com, log in, and then request to be logged out of every device that isn't your iPhone. This is done under the Devices menu. While you're in there, enable two-factor authentication and make sure your phone number is the only trusted number listed.

kch50428

Oct 22, 2010
Visit site
Better yet, establish service in your own name, on another carrier... and has been noted above... Get your own AppleID if you don't already have one...and if you already have one, change the password on it... and change or set up security questions on your AppleID to ensure the soon to be ex can't change anything on your AppleID.

T48

Jul 2, 2015
Visit site
Would not think she would have to switch carriers unless there were better offers/coverage available. If she sets up her own line, all new account security stuff that her ex husband would not guess. Should be good to go on that front. Also as others have mentioned, definitely change all Apple ID related items too.
Something else you could do if you had money to spare or can afford an upgrade. Sell the 6S via swappa, craigslist etc & get the 7 in the coming weeks. Would have new imei/serial number.

Edit: Just re read original post. One would need to sort out who officially owns the phone & the accounts they are billed to. Not sure how that all works in divorce proceedings. Whether to hand the device back to him & start your own lines with new everything or if he will sign over the device to you. But as long as they are billed to the old account, he can at the very least see the numbers dialed/texted etc. regardless of Apple ID.

Latest posts

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
williams77