I'm an electronics guy but when IT isn't around I get passed their problems, so bare with me. I have never owned an apple product in my life and this is a work phone.

I think this is an Iphone 4 but it may be an Iphone 4s. I'm having a hard time telling.

Someone updated this phone to ios 9 but they cannot complete the install/ configuration because the login fails every time. At first I thought they had the wrong password, so I had it changed, that didn't help. Then I thought maybe the Wifi was not working so I tried 3G, no change.

I even tried to create a new account and that didn't work. I have a feeling there is some kind of compatibility issue but I don't know what it is or how to fix it.

Can you help, please.
    09-22-2015 05:07 PM
    If the iCloud Activation lock has been enabled on the device, you will NOT be able to use the device without the proper Apple ID and associated passcode.
    09-22-2015 07:26 PM
    If this isn't the issue, what else could be the problem?
    For example, I cannot finish the set up process after I accept terms and conditions. It just gives out a notice "Could Not Sign In". Please help if informed how.
    09-22-2015 09:52 PM
    I can use the account online. But what you describe sounds like the phone is registered to the account in some way and that there is a problem with this association. Is there a way to check if an iCloud Activation lock is set? I know this is the same account that was perviously used with the phone but can you change that association?
    09-23-2015 06:18 PM
    "For example, I cannot finish the set up process after I accept terms and conditions. It just gives out a notice "Could Not Sign In". Please help if informed how. "

That is exactly what this phone is doing
    09-23-2015 06:19 PM
    "For example, I cannot finish the set up process after I accept terms and conditions. It just gives out a notice "Could Not Sign In". Please help if informed how. "

That is exactly what this phone is doing
    Connect the device to your computer, and then initiate the computer's iTunes app (preferably, the latest iTunes version). When iTunes detects your device, select to update it if that option is available. If not, choose to restore it. Hopefully, you have a recent backup to restore to after the process is finished if you don't want to set it up as new. Having said that, if the iCloud Activation lock is enabled, you will still need to sign in with the associated ID and passcode I order to use the device.
    09-23-2015 06:28 PM
    I did this and it asked me to update the phone again. So I did. Same problem. Then I tried to do a restore. Same problem. Tomorrow I will try to configure like a new phone.
    09-23-2015 11:00 PM
    I believe iOS 9.1 fixed this issue. You should be able to plug into a computer and update to iOS 9.1 and then according to the release notes the problem should be fixed.
    09-24-2015 02:40 AM
    Yeah I tried and it still fails after the terms and conditions. I tried restoring with a saved back up and then tried to restore like it is a new phone. I had updated my itunes then installed 9.1 but I still get the same response.
    09-24-2015 04:52 PM
    Did you ever figure out a way to get past the terms and conditions. I've finally updated my device and I am having your same problem. I have also attempted all the steps it looks like you tried. ???? Thanks!
    10-24-2015 08:48 PM
    Yeah I tried and it still fails after the terms and conditions. I tried restoring with a saved back up and then tried to restore like it is a new phone. I had updated my itunes then installed 9.1 but I still get the same response.
    Did you ever figure out a way to get past the terms and conditions. I've finally updated my device and I am having your same problem. I have also attempted all the steps it looks like you tried. ???? Thanks!
    Make a Genius Bar appointment with the nearest Apple Store or contact Apple Account Support regarding this matter.
    10-24-2015 08:59 PM
    I tried all that, Genious bar, Apple store or Apple account support. Nothing happened. Now im trying to download iTunes, thats my last resort.
    01-04-2016 06:01 AM
    i had the same issue with my iphone 5s. after upgrading to 9.3 i can't complete the update. they said my ID can't be used to unlock this iphone.
    03-24-2016 11:22 AM
    i had the same issue with my iphone 5s. after upgrading to 9.3 i can't complete the update. they said my ID can't be used to unlock this iphone.
    I spoke with an Apple associate on the phone just this morning to confirm this; as long as you bring your device and both state ID and printed paper receipt they will reset the device for you.
    03-24-2016 12:13 PM