Why won't an audiobook play on my iPhone?

I

iMore Question

Never had this problem before. It has always worked fine. Purchase an audiobook on my computer's iTunes. Transfer audiobook to my iPhone, and it plays fine. However, my latest attempt did not work. I followed the steps I always do. The book shows on my phone, but when I play it, it automatically pauses itself. It will not play. I have searched the forums and none of the answers solve the problem. I deleted all audiobooks and music from my phone and re-synced with iTunes, no affect. Music plays, but not the audiobook. In one forum it said go to the purchases section of my phones iTunes and hit the cloud icon on the audiobooks section. THERE IS NO AUDIOBOOK section of the purchases. Which also doesn't make sense since when I search for the audiobook on the iTunes store on my phone, it can find it, and it recognizes that I've already purchased it, but still wont directly download to my phone, it only asks if I'd like to purchase it again.

pilonpt

Nov 5, 2015
Visit site
On your iPhone, go to Settings>General Settings>Reset>Reset All Settings. This worked for me after hours of frustration. Resetting from iTunes, did not work!! I hope this helps.

Jaguarr40

Jan 14, 2011
Visit site
On your iPhone, go to Settings>General Settings>Reset>Reset All Settings. This worked for me after hours of frustration. Resetting from iTunes, did not work!! I hope this helps.
Appropriate to tell and suggest to someone but let the person know the are about to erase their entire phone and they should do a full backup first.

Also make sure the book you are trying to read is downloaded to the device meaning it does not have a cloud on the right hand side.

smilefink

Jan 13, 2016
Visit site
I bought an audiobook today on my iphone 4 (iOS 7.4). I downloaded the 2 chapters, and when I was gonna play it, nothing happened. It just won't play. Directly after hitting the "play" button it shuts down! And I can't re-install because the purchase disappears if I do so ( which means that I need to re-purchase the whole book for like 21? / 200 Swedish crowns) Whelp me plix!!!

Ledsteplin

Ambassador
Oct 2, 2013
Visit site
Appropriate to tell and suggest to someone but let the person know the are about to erase their entire phone and they should do a full backup first.

Also make sure the book you are trying to read is downloaded to the device meaning it does not have a cloud on the right hand side.

I just saw this from November 5. Reset All Settings does not erase the phone. It resets everything in Settings and the clock app. Notifications, alerts, etc.