Am I screwed :(

JobSteves

Jan 3, 2013
Visit site
Along time ago I signed up for the two-step verification (because I've been screwed over before by people) and used my phone as the trusted device.

However I was on net 10 at the time and sometime later I switch to straight talk and got a new phone number.

I haven't done anything that required a two-step verification until just now when I tried to buy an app and it asked for my second verification which was going to be the code or whatever that was sent to my phone.

Here's the rub, I don't have that phone number anymore even though it's the same device, and I had put my recovery code into the notes and had notes synced to/backed up to iCloud but about a month ago I had to restore my phone and now I can't find the synced note.

My fianc? had just bought me an iTunes card with her tax refund so now am I just going to have to have that money sitting in my account for ever and I'm going to have to make a new Apple ID if I want to purchase anything else from the App Store? (I've purchased hundreds of dollars worth of content on my current Apple ID)

Ledsteplin

Ambassador
Oct 2, 2013
Visit site
Was it in the stock Notes app? If so, check the Notes folder of any email address you had synced with the Notes app. If you don't see a Notes folder, go to Settings >Mail,Contacts and Calendars > Email address > Toggle OFF Notes. Then go check the Notes folder in the mail app.

Sent from my ancient but trustworthy iPhone 5

JobSteves

Jan 3, 2013
Visit site
Was it in the stock Notes app? If so, check the Notes folder of any email address you had synced with the Notes app. If you don't see a Notes folder, go to Settings >Mail,Contacts and Calendars > Email address > Toggle OFF Notes. Then go check the Notes folder in the mail app.

Your help is very much appreciated and I've tried just that. I'm just thinking maybe I didn't deleted it since I have all my other notes. If that's the case then I'm ducked. I've heard of others that have called apple and ape told them there was nothing they could do.

Oh well. I'm not going to be getting any new devices anytime soon and I already have all of my paid content on my phone and my iPad using my old Apple ID so I'll just make a new one and continue to use that one for now on. The only thing is I'm out $15 from my iTunes card but that's not really that big of a deal I suppose.

Just_Me_D

Ambassador Team Leader, Senior Moderator
Jan 8, 2012
Visit site
Your help is very much appreciated and I've tried just that. I'm just thinking maybe I didn't deleted it since I have all my other notes. If that's the case then I'm ducked. I've heard of others that have called apple and ape told them there was nothing they could do.

Oh well. I'm not going to be getting any new devices anytime soon and I already have all of my paid content on my phone and my iPad using my old Apple ID so I'll just make a new one and continue to use that one for now on. The only thing is I'm out $15 from my iTunes card but that's not really that big of a deal I suppose.

As helpful as Apple is known to be, they take account security seriously. I'm almost 100% certain that Apple will not give you access to the account without the necessary authentication credentials.

JobSteves

Jan 3, 2013
Visit site
As helpful as Apple is known to be, they take account security seriously. I'm almost 100% certain that Apple will not give you access to the account without the necessary authentication credentials.

Thanks. I've just accepted this and just made a new Apple ID. I mean it's not Apple's fault that they told me that I should keep my recovery keys and I didn't. I have no one to blame but myself.

Just_Me_D

Ambassador Team Leader, Senior Moderator
Jan 8, 2012
Visit site
Thanks. I've just accepted this and just made a new Apple ID. I mean it's not Apple's fault that they told me that I should keep my recovery keys and I didn't. I have no one to blame but myself.

Been there, done that, my friend but I think it was a Google issue at the time. Now, I store EVERYTHING in my password app...(laughing)

qbnkelt

Mar 17, 2012
Visit site

This won't help you this time but get a password keeper app. Put the recovery key there.

I've got Password Keeper on all my phones and I've put the recovery key in there. It's also in my work phone so it's all synced.

Sent from my SEXY GORGEOUS AWESOME GOLD 128G iPhone 6

Ledsteplin

Ambassador
Oct 2, 2013
Visit site
Make the master password for the password app strong, but easy to remember. Use numbers, letters or symbols that have meaning to only you. But not addresses or birthdays and such. 1Password will give you hints if you forget. The hints can trigger the memory if it's stuff that means something to you.

kch50428

Oct 22, 2010
Visit site
One really wild a** possible solution popped into my head... if JobSteves has a mac, backed up with TimeMachine... enter TM... and go back in the Notes app on that and see if the note can be found there...

JobSteves

Jan 3, 2013
Visit site
This won't help you this time but get a password keeper app. Put the recovery key there.

I've got Password Keeper on all my phones and I've put the recovery key in there. It's also in my work phone so it's all synced.

Sent from my SEXY GORGEOUS AWESOME GOLD 128G iPhone 6

Oh I did that already for sure. *wink*

And no I don't have a Mac. I have a PC. but I do appreciate your help anyway more than you can imagine.

DarlaMack

Apple TV Champion, Ambassador
Champion
Dec 8, 2011
Visit site
I haven't done anything that required a two-step verification until just now when I tried to buy an app and it asked for my second verification which was going to be the code or whatever that was sent to my phone.

Here's the rub, I don't have that phone number anymore even though it's the same device, and I had put my recovery code into the notes and had notes synced to/backed up to iCloud but about a month ago I had to restore my phone and now I can't find the synced note.

Did you go into Manage Apple ID and have the code sent? Depending on how you set it up, the phone number wouldn't be needed. If its the same device, Apple can send the code to it.

Latest posts

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
smitty22d2