Why does Facetime not show for a contact?

Namdnas78

Mar 13, 2014
Visit site
My brother just got an iPhone 6 Plus on Saturday. He ported his number over from Straight Talk and it went active to his iPhone yesterday (Sunday). I spent 2 hours over the phone with him last night, getting everything set up and synced (iCloud, etc) - just like I have my devices. I've got his information in my contacts, but it is not updating to add the Facetime option on my iPhone 6 Plus. However, my iPad Air has the option for Facetime, as does his contact info in my wife's iPhone 6 Plus. It's just my iPhone that is not recognizing it for some reason. His phone has the Facetime option for me and we CAN Facetime, I just can't make a Facetime call to him due to this.

I can't figure it out. I've done both a soft and hard reboot of my phone, turned off Facetime and turned it back on, removed his contact several times and added back as new, several more reboots, nothing. Also, ALL of my settings between my iPhone and iPad are consistent and the same - nothing is different on one than the other.

So...would this be a problem on my end or his? Is it just lag in Apple's system due to the number port? I've thought about maybe the next time I talk to him, having him disable and re-enable his Facetime to see if that fixes it.

Does anyone else have any ideas or know of a fix for this that I'm overlooking?

Thanks!!!

Ledsteplin

Ambassador
Oct 2, 2013
Visit site
What number does it show in FaceTime in settings? Is it the correct number?
Does the correct number show in both places? And are they checked?
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1418658574.629044.jpg

Sent from my ancient but trustworthy iPhone 5.

Namdnas78

Mar 13, 2014
Visit site
Yep! It shows my phone number, as well as my e-mail address. They are both checked for "Facetime at" and the phone number is checked for the "Caller ID".

Namdnas78

Mar 13, 2014
Visit site
So, I had my brother turn off FaceTime, power cycle the phone, turn FaceTime back and and power cycle again. No go. :-(

Ledsteplin

Ambassador
Oct 2, 2013
Visit site
So, I had my brother turn off FaceTime, power cycle the phone, turn FaceTime back and and power cycle again. No go. :-(

Uncheck the email address. It's not necessary unless he plans to use his email instead of his phone number.

Sent from my ancient but trustworthy iPhone 5.

Namdnas78

Mar 13, 2014
Visit site
This doesn't seem to have fixed anything either and it's still not showing - it's had a couple of days to get updated, so I'm starting to get concerned. Maybe I should just call Apple and see if they can help me.

Namdnas78

Mar 13, 2014
Visit site
Got this resolved! Got hold of Apple Support and she had me reset all of my phone settings and network settings. Once I reconnected to my WiFi and re-enabled FaceTime, it's fixed and he now shows up as FaceTime. Yay. :)

mixolyd

Jan 18, 2016
Visit site
I'm having the same issue.. My parents got iphones and I'm unable to see facetime icons for them on 3 different iphones (mine, wife's, and sisters). All of us have iphone 6s on latest iOS 9.2. I am able to facetime from my mac, and now I can facetime from the Facetime app on iphone from the recent calls list. But still cannot from Contacts or Messages. No icon at all.

You really had to reset your phone to fix this? ugh...

Latest posts

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
williams77