Using an iPhone on a Blackberry Data plan

I

iMore Question

I currently have a Blackberry data plan and I have had my iPhone 5 for almost 2 years now.

I have become more aware of some LTE, 3G issues with my iPhone 5 recently.

When I enable AIRPLANE mode, and disable it after about 60+ seconds, it takes a minimum of 30 seconds for LTE to show up in a good coverage area. My average response is about 90 seconds.

I had my iPhone swapped recently under Apple Care. In the store, only my basic settings were installed via iCloud. I have a regular back up on my PC. Toggling LTE was super snappy. One of the dudes at the Apple store on the same carrier as myself, but with an iPhone 5S had almost instant results as well.

Upon return home from the Apple store, I toggled the LTE on and off, with AIRPLANE mode on and off. Things were snappy. I was happy.

When I went to RESTORE my backup, after completion, I noticed my email and other passwords werent downloaded. In the past, any time I did a RESTORE, I never had that issue. Everything was as it was before. All p/ws in tact. I didn't have to enter any.

I then wiped my iPhone again using ERASE ALL SETTINGS. I then repeated the RESTORE process. During the last RESTORE process, my iPhone was caught in a BOOT LOOP. It finally got out of it after several minutes. I then repeated and the backup RESTORE worked. However, I lost the immediate connection to LTE.

I did a DFU Recovery via iTunes (not the actual DFU where I need the PSW files) and I then ran the device stock. The LTE lagging once again occurred, but not like on my previous device.

I am not sure what is going on here. But, I find it damn peculiar this happened again. If there is problem with my iTunes backup, it should've been resolved with the DFU recovery.

I guess I will have to go back to Apple and ask them to do a full DFU flash on my device and see what happens then.

I am also thinking if my [Rogers] BlackBerry Data plan might be contributing or causing this issue? Maybe, just maybe, my iPhone is connecting to Rogers, looking for the Blackberry (BES) server and then when it can't find it, it defaults to standard data? I mean, there must be a logical explanation for this, right?

I always wanted my BB data plan to be removed and go with the regular data plan but I was told that wasn't necessary. The regular BB plan will work just fine.

Has anyone heard of this issue before?

AgentHeracles

Sep 7, 2011
Visit site
Truth be told, I have never heard of keeping the BlackBerry Data Plan. Thinking about it, it might have something to do with it. I hope others will chime in with their thoughts on this.

mikeo007

Aug 11, 2012
Visit site
I've been using my iPhone on a BB data plan with Rogers for 2 years now, no ill effects whatsoever. Your phone won't look for a BIS (not BES) server because it doesn't know it exists, so there should be zero slowdown as a result of that.

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
smitty22d2