Huge Problem With My Jailbroken iPhone 5

I

iMore Question

Hej, I have this huge problem with my jailbroken iPhone 5. The other day I was attempting to change something in iFile for my lockscreen. Ended up messing it all up and now the phone is unusable. It's only a black screen when it turns on. I can't restore it using iTunes because I got a new computer and I never ended up being able to give permission for my computer to view files and such. Is there any other way I can restore it with some other third-party program or something?

Please help!

parker5011

Oct 18, 2011
Visit site
You don't have to give permission to restore it. Plug it in. Open iTunes. Restore as new.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Elizabeth2

Jan 27, 2013
Visit site
If you don't know your pass code to disable chances are it's not your phone :)

Sent from my iPad mini using the iMore Forum App❤️

Last edited:

Spazzizm

Mar 9, 2014
Visit site
Are you even understanding my problem here? It is my phone and I'm not able to unlock it because the screen is ALL BLACK, no buttons, nothing.

acerace113

Oct 30, 2012
Visit site
Did you try to put your phone in DFU mode and then restore ?

Sent from my iPhone 5S or 5th gen iPod Touch using Tapatalk

Jan 20, 2014
Visit site
I've soft bricked my device before and was able to get it back through DFU mode. Hopefully you made a back up though as it will do a full wipe.

?Sent from a very sexy device... Rawr?

anon(4698833)

Banned
Sep 7, 2010
Visit site
The perfect storm. That really sucks for you because without your old computer, you are kind of up sh*ts creek if you can't get your device to DFU mode.

Listen up kiddos...gather around the fire and let Uncle Sean tell you a story about why it's a terrible idea to jailbreak your device and start messing with the file system if you don't know precisely what you're doing. Let the OP's bad luck be a warning to people who feel they just have to screw around with the iPhone because of their need to "tweak" something...if you don't know to the smallest detail what you're messing with...leave it the hell alone.

Jan 20, 2014
Visit site
The perfect storm. That really sucks for you because without your old computer, you are kind of up sh*ts creek if you can't get your device to DFU mode.

Listen up kiddos...gather around the fire and let Uncle Sean tell you a story about why it's a terrible idea to jailbreak your device and start messing with the file system if you don't know precisely what you're doing. Let the OP's bad luck be a warning to people who feel they just have to screw around with the iPhone because of their need to "tweak" something...if you don't know to the smallest detail what you're messing with...leave it the hell alone.

As much as I advocate tinkering, it's easier to brick an iPhone. I agree about not fooling in files you aren't 100% familiar with. I don't dabble in iFile because I'm unfamiliar with iOS code (For now).

I'm all for learning new things, just make sure to be thoroughly prepared with solutions on hand.

Sent from my electronic device using Tapatalk.