Is Unlocking Essentially the same as "Open Line/Cutting" ??

I

iMore Question

Because i got my iPhone in Japan (iPhone 4, iOS 6.1.3), it is expected that I can only use it in Japan. And since I have to leave Japan for education in the Philippines, my parents cut the phone. When I asked what cutting a phone is, they said that the phone can't already be used in Japan when texting and calling. Now when we are leaving, they are repeatedly saying that I should "Open Line" the phone here in the Philippines so that I can use it here. Do I really need to "open line" the phone? By the way, when I checked the carrier, it was the carrier that I get from Japan, and I think my phone is based on SoftBank.

Waiting for your reply.

098v

Sep 8, 2013
Visit site
Opening a line, to my knowledge is the same as unlocking your phone, as for needing it I would get it because if and when you return from Japan the phone won't work on any of the phone lines in the Philippines.

Tappin and talkin from my iPhone 4

Laelipoo

Aug 11, 2010
Visit site
SoftBank phones are notoriously hard to unlock, whether officially or not. The only way to be sure is to stick a non-Japanese SIM card in the phone. If it works, yay. If not, you can look into buying an unlock, but that can get very expensive.

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
williams77