Distance

afctee

Distinguished
May 22, 2016
Visit site
Sometimes, while at work, I leave my iPhone on my desk, and go to other areas of the building. From time to time, in doing so, my Apple Watch (Stainless Steel, Space Black), loses connection with my iPhone.

What is the average distance one can be away from the iPhone?

afctee

Distinguished
May 22, 2016
Visit site
Hmm, a little confused with that last statement. Can you expound on that?
I was under the impression that the Apple Watch merely connected to the watches Bluetooth. There is WIFI at work, but, I tend to not use it since the IT Director throttles the service (don't ask)...

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bluetooth

That depends on your surroundings but is typically between the 10 to 100 meter.. Roughly converted between 30 to 300 feet.

If you are on the same wifi as your phone, your Apple Watch will continue working though.

Tartarus

Ambassador
Feb 20, 2014
Visit site
Your Apple Watch will connect with known WiFi and stay online. (Please be advised the Apple Watch only supports the 2.4 band.)

There is no way to disable wifi for the Apple Watch.

afctee

Distinguished
May 22, 2016
Visit site
@Tartarus to be sure I'm clear, if my iPhone is connected to a WIFI, the Apple Watch will automatically connect to the SAME WIFI, correct?

Mac Guy

Dec 10, 2015
Visit site
if my iPhone is connected to a WIFI, the Apple Watch will automatically connect to the SAME WIFI, correct?

This is a pretty cool feature. My phone connects to my friend's WiFi whenever I visit. Any WiFi your phone connects to, your Watch will connect when your phone isn't present.

I left my phone at home one time (ack!!) and my Watch still connected to his WiFi. In the Settings Glance, you'll see the green phone icon at the top, when your phone is nearby. If your phone isn't around, you'll see a cloud icon, indicating the Watch is connected directly to WiFi and not to your phone.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
smitty22d2