Changes to what "Move" counts in watchOS 2?

a2dmusic

May 8, 2015
Visit site
Actually it's not clear to me if this is the watch itself that's changed or the iPhone activity app that has changed, but the change came on Tuesday with the watchOS 2 update.

Prior to that, if you went into the Activity app, and looked at the "Move" results for the day, swiping to the right, you'd see Active Calories and Total Calories. And the total calories was always a fixed "X" number plus the active calories. If you will, "X" was your basal daily calorie burn as estimated/calculated from the age/sex/weight/height information you entered in. The number grew during the day, but at midnight it would always hit X + total active calories for the day.

Since watchOS 2 came out, it... doesn't do that anymore, and I have no idea what it *does* do. I'm going to guess that it calculates calories burned while wearing the watch only. Doesn't count sleep calorie burn unless you sleep with the watch on (over the course of a night can add up to several hundred cals), or any other time the watch isn't on your wrist. I *think*. But in all honesty, I don;t know! All I do know is that each day it's different now, and Total - Active = a different number each day, and in any and all cases, a number between several hundred and a thousand calories less than what I was getting before wOS 2.

I think the activity monitoring itself is more accurate in wOS 2, but this seems less like a change for accuracy and more of a "policy" change. But I haven't found any documentation from Apple addressing what they've done here.

Anyone know/have any ideas what's going on here?

a2dmusic

May 8, 2015
Visit site
OK you clearly didn't read my post, which was about basal (NON-active) calorie burn, which need not be calibrated by activity. But thanks anyway, I guess.

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
smitty22d2