"Blue collar" jobs and the watch

bahandi

Nov 3, 2012
Visit site
I would like to be able to wear an Apple Watch as I work. Anyone here work in the trades with lots of potential hazards to the watch's overall look?

I'm a lineman by trade; climb hydro poles, play in the dirt, work with wires. I would like to know if anyone has put their Apple Watch through the rigors of a hands on type of environment.

tech_fan

Jan 7, 2013
Visit site
Spigen makes cases for the watch that are meant for rugged environments. If you go to Amazon.com you will find them there. Some come with a built in screen protector.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Trees

Dec 26, 2012
Visit site
I worked around heavy equipment and large machinery in the military. We removed watches, rings, dog tags and similar items that could get caught in moving parts or jammed. Not sure if your daily operations require a similar approach, but sharing in the event your routine could present similar challenges to wearing a watch.

bahandi

Nov 3, 2012
Visit site
Spigen makes cases for the watch that are meant for rugged environments. If you go to Amazon.com you will find them there. Some come with a built in screen protector.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Cases seem to be the popular option.

bahandi

Nov 3, 2012
Visit site
I worked around heavy equipment and large machinery in the military. We removed watches, rings, dog tags and similar items that could get caught in moving parts or jammed. Not sure if your daily operations require a similar approach, but sharing in the event your routine could present similar challenges to wearing a watch.

No heavy machinery for us, at the moment. Good point though.

Peligro911

Jun 1, 2011
Visit site
I would like to be able to wear an Apple Watch as I work. Anyone here work in the trades with lots of potential hazards to the watch's overall look?

I'm a lineman by trade; climb hydro poles, play in the dirt, work with wires. I would like to know if anyone has put their Apple Watch through the rigors of a hands on type of environment.

I would just get a sport model maybe slap a case on it and get apple care ... if something happens get it replaced i had a pebble for almost two years and was never careful and it did get slight scratches but it served its purpose .. i treat my apple watch the same way i don't want something i have to baby every second of the day and worry about what i'm doing. It will either hold up for you or it wont. In your case Dirt would be my only concern are far as scratches go. I say go for it

tech_fan

Jan 7, 2013
Visit site
Cases seem to be the popular option.

Yes. They are. On my first day of having my watch, I got one of the Spigen Rugged Armor cases for it. I took a picture of it probably from a weird angle and posted it on Reddit. Got some real negative comments and I started to doubt my own appeal for the case so I returned it. The next day I went to the gym and banged it on the side of the treadmill. I have reordered the case once again and don't plan on returning it.

About 5 years ago I bought a Citizen Eco drive. It was the first watch I spent over 500 on. To this date I still love the watch. About 5 months into the purchase I accidentally banged it against the wall and scratched up the crystal. To this date I still see the scratch and I remember what I did to it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Peligro911

Jun 1, 2011
Visit site
Yes. They are. On my first day of having my watch, I got one of the Spigen Rugged Armor cases for it. I took a picture of it probably from a weird angle and posted it on Reddit. Got some real negative comments and I started to doubt my own appeal for the case so I returned it. The next day I went to the gym and banged it on the side of the treadmill. I have reordered the case once again and don't plan on returning it.

About 5 years ago I bought a Citizen Eco drive. It was the first watch I spent over 500 on. To this date I still love the watch. About 5 months into the purchase I accidentally banged it against the wall and scratched up the crystal. To this date I still see the scratch and I remember what I did to it.

I call that character

jtb79

Jun 21, 2013
Visit site
I coach football and this time of year I'm outside conducting workouts, mowing, and spraying poison. Not to mention playing part time mechanic to the equipment. To be honest I've stopped wearing it and will probably be selling, but not because I don't live the watch, I do, the worry over tearing up a four hundred dollar plus device is just too much.

Peligro911

Jun 1, 2011
Visit site
I coach football and this time of year I'm outside conducting workouts, mowing, and spraying poison. Not to mention playing part time mechanic to the equipment. To be honest I've stopped wearing it and will probably be selling, but not because I don't live the watch, I do, the worry over tearing up a four hundred dollar plus device is just too much.

Get Apple care so if you break it you can get it replaced I bet it will hold up Better than you think

Flow39

Jun 26, 2014
Visit site
I work in a grocery store in the produce department (just graduated from high school) and I wear my watch every day. I haven't damaged the body at all, but the white band I have is getting a green tint on the outside where it runs into things. The screen has 3-4 very small, hardly noticeable scratches in the oleo phobic coating, not in the glass itself. I am more cautious with it then I was with my Pebble, that's for sure.

bahandi

Nov 3, 2012
Visit site
I would just get a sport model maybe slap a case on it and get apple care ... if something happens get it replaced i had a pebble for almost two years and was never careful and it did get slight scratches but it served its purpose .. i treat my apple watch the same way i don't want something i have to baby every second of the day and worry about what i'm doing. It will either hold up for you or it wont. In your case Dirt would be my only concern are far as scratches go. I say go for it

My KS Pebble is holding up really well also; I've put tremendous pressure on the bands, I've banged it up against things, I've ran my dirty hands/gloves over the screen as I pulled my sleeves back to check the watch.

I hate babying my products as well, and as you mentioned in a reply, I like my products to show "character".

bahandi

Nov 3, 2012
Visit site

This is my stance as well. I don't want to worry about an expensive device if I don't think it'll hold up well.

Where I won't have issues with dents and scratches, peeling paint is another story. If someone can confirm the finish holds up well, I may not have to hesitate much longer in purchasing, and wearing an Apple Watch the way I want to wear it.

dov1978

Trusted Member
Oct 22, 2014
Visit site
Forget cases they look horrible on the watch. Apple Care Plus is the way to go and keep the good unspoiled look of the watch. I work in a very physical job and my Apple Watch Sport stays exposed right above my work gloves. It's had a few dings and scrapes already on metalwork and got sand under and around it too. I was scared to look and see what damage I'd caused but was pretty shocked to see it perfectly unscathed. Where as my iPhone 6 Plus in Space Grey seems to be tarnished from dust and bits of dirt etc getting inside it's bumper case. Get a Sport and enjoy it without always worrying about it. That's what it's for an get Apple Care+ to replace or repair it if need be

imwjl

Apr 26, 2011
Visit site
It's an old original post but I see smart watches are more popular with blue collar and service jobs where I work than many might imagine. At one of our sites I see a few are in a challenge for better habits and using three brands of trackers to show each other up when they meet and talk about it.

It's been decades since my day job was with machinery and more physical danger but the trail building work I do is about as hard on things. I expect my Apple Watch with some projection to survive that same as any other. Actually save my phone from dirt and damage because my current work can have me bombarded with alerts and alarms.

My biggest concern for a tough physical environment is how reviews of many 3rd party bands show a statistically relevant number of failures. I will stick to the Apple brand sport band where I'm assuming decent quality control, and the design doesn't have metal bits or rings to be caught on something.

My reason for encouraging the watch would be the way one can be aware of calories. I know active and strong people who still get overweight and/or don't have consistency in their habits. One epiphany with the watch for me is even being in good shape for my age I can be reminded to make better choices.

Terb

Trusted Member
Sep 17, 2012
Visit site
I am a plumbing contractor. I wear 42mm SS W/ black sports band daily @ work for over a year now. Glass has no scratches, case has very few. I do wash it off nightly & keep it polished

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Erik4711