AMOLED vs. LCD displays

Microcosmos

Sep 19, 2005
Visit site
The Apple Watch has an AMOLED display, which is different from the LCD displays in all iPhone models, though several Android-based phones have one too.

What do you think about the pros and cons of this choice?

Pros: saves more on battery, thinner and lighter than LCD, especially the plastic-backed flexible kind that Apple is using.

Cons: 10,000 hour lifespan compared to 60,000 or more for LCD. Actually that's just one con (that I found) but it's a significant one.

Apple is well aware of both sides and made the informed decision to go with AMOLED.

Are you excited or perturbed? Both?

Personally I'm excited because for me the pros outweigh the con (which = about 5 years if you stare at it for 5 full hours a day, closer to 14 if the screen is on for 2 hours a day; I'll bet most will use the lit screen for less than an hour a day all told).

kch50428

Oct 22, 2010
Visit site
Apple simply picked the display that best suits the task at hand... No need to extrapolate and read anything into it... It what Apple does.

Bifurcated

Mar 18, 2014
Visit site
Re the 10,000 hour thing: Apple expects you to have the screen on for about 1 hour per day. So that works out to about 27 years screen life. :p Should be ok for most of us.

EchoOne30

Jan 29, 2015
Visit site
I'm surprised at the use of OLED, it's much dimmer in daylight than LED. The fact that it'll be used on a device that will see a lot of daylight is confusing.

Ledsteplin

Ambassador
Oct 2, 2013
Visit site
I'm surprised at the use of OLED, it's much dimmer in daylight than LED. The fact that it'll be used on a device that will see a lot of daylight is confusing.

Apple has some new whiz techs that will will surprise you with what they can do. Stay tuned.

Sent from my ancient but trustworthy iPhone 5. ☮

dpham00

Trusted Member
Apr 2, 2014
Visit site
It depends on the technology used. The s6 uses AMOLED and gets up to 600 nits. This is brighter than the iPhone 6.

Latest posts

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
williams77