Welcome to the iMore Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
Results 1 to 22 of 22
Like Tree4Likes
  • 1 Post By phreddyl
  • 1 Post By kch50428
  • 1 Post By Sancho90
  • 1 Post By Mella
  1. Thread AuthorThread Author   #1  
    1982ollie's Avatar
    iMore Pro

    Posts
    704 Posts
    iOS Version
    5.1.1

    Default Apple TV - Thinking of buying

    Hi Everyone,

    Right I'm thinking of buying the above as I keep hearing great things about them and I'm wondering why I don't have one to be honest.

    Need to understand a few things first.

    How do they connect to the TV itself from the apple tv unit - By scart cable?
    Can you install app's or do they just come pre loaded, like Netflix? What other app's are there?
    I can project whats on my iPad and iPhone wireless right - Correct?
    Anything else, tips & advise - Then please let me know why you love this device?

    I'm literary just about to go and buy one today - Thought I should post here first to understand the device fully first.

    Thanks everyone
  2. #2  
    glj104's Avatar
    iPhone Newbie

    Posts
    14 Posts
    Global Posts
    19 Global Posts

    Default

    Connects with hdmi. You can mirror on iPhone 4s or iPad 2 and 3. I have one and love it. Apps are per installed.
    Ipod shuffle, ipod nano, ipod touch, iphone4 32gb, and iphone5 64gb
  3. #3  
    phreddyl's Avatar

    Posts
    2,966 Posts
    Global Posts
    3,377 Global Posts
    iOS Version
    6.0

    Default

    Only issue with the new apple tv is that there is still no jailbreak for it. I have the 2 and its jailbroken- awesome! Can watch pretty much any movie/tv show whenever I want.
  4. Thread AuthorThread Author   #4  
    1982ollie's Avatar
    iMore Pro

    Posts
    704 Posts
    iOS Version
    5.1.1

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by glj104 View Post
    Connects with hdmi. You can mirror on iPhone 4s or iPad 2 and 3. I have one and love it. Apps are per installed.
    Can I not stream from my iPhone 4 CDMA.


    Sent from my jailbroken iPhone 4 using Tapatalk
  5. Thread AuthorThread Author   #5  
    1982ollie's Avatar
    iMore Pro

    Posts
    704 Posts
    iOS Version
    5.1.1

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Phreddyl View Post
    Only issue with the new apple tv is that there is still no jailbreak for it. I have the 2 and its jailbroken- awesome! Can watch pretty much any movie/tv show whenever I want.
    What are the benefits of using a jailbroken apple tv?

    As I may consider buying a second hand unit?


    Sent from my jailbroken iPhone 4 using Tapatalk
  6. #6  
    phreddyl's Avatar

    Posts
    2,966 Posts
    Global Posts
    3,377 Global Posts
    iOS Version
    6.0

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by 1982ollie View Post
    What are the benefits of using a jailbroken apple tv?

    As I may consider buying a second hand unit?


    Sent from my jailbroken iPhone 4 using Tapatalk
    Ton more things to watch for free. Look up xbmc and you will see all the repositories (apps ) that you can add. Ice films is great and so is 1movie. Really well worth it. Only issue is that at this point the 2 is more expensive then the 3.
    Thanked by:
    1982ollie (09-08-2012)
    1982ollie likes this.
  7. Thread AuthorThread Author   #7  
    1982ollie's Avatar
    iMore Pro

    Posts
    704 Posts
    iOS Version
    5.1.1

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Phreddyl View Post
    Ton more things to watch for free. Look up xbmc and you will see all the repositories (apps ) that you can add. Ice films is great and so is 1movie. Really well worth it. Only issue is that at this point the 2 is more expensive then the 3.
    No way! A second hand 2 is more than a 3?

    OMG - your right. They are like 100 pound more on eBay.

    Looks like that's the way forward.

    Thanks for the advise and tips.


    Sent from my jailbroken iPhone 4 using Tapatalk
    Last edited by 1982ollie; 09-07-2012 at 09:28 AM.
  8. #8  
    kch50428's Avatar

    Posts
    11,001 Posts
    Global Posts
    11,882 Global Posts
    iOS Version
    7.0

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by 1982ollie View Post
    No way! A second hand 2 is more than a 3?
    Amazing how that 'supply/demand' thing works, isn't it?
    Keith - iMore Moderator - The Mobile Nations/iMore Forum Rules
     iPhone5 on VZW;  iPad(2012) - wifi with BadElf for GPS
    "When the debate is lost, slander becomes the tool of the loser." -- Socrates
    Fausty82 likes this.
  9. Thread AuthorThread Author   #9  
    1982ollie's Avatar
    iMore Pro

    Posts
    704 Posts
    iOS Version
    5.1.1

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by kch50428 View Post
    Amazing how that 'supply/demand' thing works, isn't it?
    I know, hard to believe sometimes.


    Sent from my jailbroken iPhone 4 using Tapatalk
  10. #10  
    Sancho90's Avatar
    iMore Intermediate

    Posts
    138 Posts
    Global Posts
    167 Global Posts
    iOS Version
    5.1

    Default

    I have the new Apple TV, not jailbroken of course, and I love it.

    I use to own a Roku player before it, and my Apple TV trumps it in every way possibly.

    Get it.


    Sent from Sancho's Brain
    (iPhone 4S, Tapatalk)
    Mella likes this.
  11. #11  
    iMassguy's Avatar
    iMore Intermediate

    Posts
    144 Posts

    Default

    I bought one yesterday and haven't fully put it to use yet. Have just mirrored my new iPad and will be trying Netflixs for a month. So far, it seems to be pretty good!
  12. Thread AuthorThread Author   #12  
    1982ollie's Avatar
    iMore Pro

    Posts
    704 Posts
    iOS Version
    5.1.1

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Phreddyl View Post
    Ton more things to watch for free. Look up xbmc and you will see all the repositories (apps ) that you can add. Ice films is great and so is 1movie. Really well worth it. Only issue is that at this point the 2 is more expensive then the 3.
    Hi Phreddyl,

    I've looked up xbmc and ice films on the web. So I thought I would try it out on my iPad first.

    I've installed xbmc via Cydia on my jailbroken iPad. But I can't work out how to actually watch a film.

    I assume you have to run the hosts through xbmc or something like that.

    Also, I guess that xbmc from Cydia for the iPad is the same as running it on apple tv.

    Can you give some help here or point me in the right direction.

    Thanks

    Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD
  13. #13  
    phreddyl's Avatar

    Posts
    2,966 Posts
    Global Posts
    3,377 Global Posts
    iOS Version
    6.0

    Default

    I wish I could. I bought mine already jail broken. I know they put flash black on it. I don't have it for iPad.
  14. Thread AuthorThread Author   #14  
    1982ollie's Avatar
    iMore Pro

    Posts
    704 Posts
    iOS Version
    5.1.1

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Phreddyl View Post
    I wish I could. I bought mine already jail broken. I know they put flash black on it. I don't have it for iPad.
    Ok. No worries. I'm sure I'll work it out. I'm checking there forum. There is loads of stuff on there!

    Thanks for sending me on a mad one where I will waste loads of time trying to work something out. Lol. Only joking. It will be fun.

    Thanks for pointing me in the direction.


    Sent from my jailbroken iPhone 4 using Tapatalk
  15. Thread AuthorThread Author   #15  
    1982ollie's Avatar
    iMore Pro

    Posts
    704 Posts
    iOS Version
    5.1.1

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Phreddyl View Post
    I wish I could. I bought mine already jail broken. I know they put flash black on it. I don't have it for iPad.
    I've worked out how to add plugins/repo's and omg this is amazing! Can't believe I didn't know about XBMC. Seriously thanks for pointing me towards it!!


    Sent from my jailbroken iPhone 4 using Tapatalk
  16. #16  
    phreddyl's Avatar

    Posts
    2,966 Posts
    Global Posts
    3,377 Global Posts
    iOS Version
    6.0

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by 1982ollie View Post
    I've worked out how to add plugins/repo's and omg this is amazing! Can't believe I didn't know about XBMC. Seriously thanks for pointing me towards it!!


    Sent from my jailbroken iPhone 4 using Tapatalk
    No problem. That's why IMO the 2 is a better buy then the 3. I canceled my Netflix and its already paid for itself.
  17. #17  
    Oldazruz's Avatar
    iPhone Newbie

    Posts
    25 Posts
    iOS Version
    iOS 6

    Default

    Interesting thread. I'm also hoping to buy apple TV soon, just need to understand it a little more. Haha
  18. Thread AuthorThread Author   #18  
    1982ollie's Avatar
    iMore Pro

    Posts
    704 Posts
    iOS Version
    5.1.1

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by oldazruz View Post
    Interesting thread. I'm also hoping to buy apple TV soon, just need to understand it a little more. Haha
    Just worked it all out my friend. The way forward is a jailbroken ATV 2 or just use your iPad or iPhone with a tv cable running xbmc. Cable tv is something of the past.


    Sent from my jailbroken iPhone 4 using Tapatalk
  19. #19  
    Mella's Avatar
    iMore Intermediate

    Posts
    408 Posts

    Default

    Same here, used to own a Roku player, but now enjoy my ATV very much!

    @1982ollie, FYI, Apples $99 set-top box: Apple TV supports 1080p playback and can access the iTunes store so you can watch movies, play Internet radio, use a handful of services like Netflix and YouTube, and, if you pay $25 per year, access your entire music library including ripped CDs through iTunes Match. If you use an iPad, iPhone, or iPod touch, its most compelling, exclusive feature is Apples AirPlay wireless streaming. With AirPlay on the Apple TV, you can stream photos, video, and music stored on your iOS device to your HDTV. During a party, this would allow the host to pump music through a home theater system while changing the music from the iPhone.
    Thanked by:
    1982ollie (09-10-2012)
    1982ollie likes this.
  20. #20  
    IoannisTs's Avatar
    iMore Intermediate

    Posts
    161 Posts

    Default

    You can project your macs display too .
  21. Thread AuthorThread Author   #21  
    1982ollie's Avatar
    iMore Pro

    Posts
    704 Posts
    iOS Version
    5.1.1

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Mella View Post
    Same here, used to own a Roku player, but now enjoy my ATV very much!

    @1982ollie, FYI, Apples $99 set-top box: Apple TV supports 1080p playback and can access the iTunes store so you can watch movies, play Internet radio, use a handful of services like Netflix and YouTube, and, if you pay $25 per year, access your entire music library including ripped CDs through iTunes Match. If you use an iPad, iPhone, or iPod touch, its most compelling, exclusive feature is Apples AirPlay wireless streaming. With AirPlay on the Apple TV, you can stream photos, video, and music stored on your iOS device to your HDTV. During a party, this would allow the host to pump music through a home theater system while changing the music from the iPhone.
    Quick question for you. Can you project what ever you have on your iDevice's screen, for example view your springboard layout or only do it in certain app's like photo stream, music & video app etc?

    Thanks
  22. #22  
    Mella's Avatar
    iMore Intermediate

    Posts
    408 Posts

    Default Re: Apple TV - Thinking of buying

    Well, I haven't view springboard layout on it, I always do it via photo stream and video app like Netflix, youtube~
    Last edited by Mella; 09-24-2012 at 01:06 AM.

Posting Permissions