Any ideas why some songs grayed out and unplayable in iTunes?

crankerchick

Oct 15, 2012
Visit site
I have songs that I've added to my library via Apple Music that are grayed out in iTunes but not in the music app on my iOS devices. These are individual tracks within an album, so in iTunes a few songs from the album are grayed out and unplayable from iTunes but are fine on my phone and iPad. Any idea how to fix?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

rocco1022

Sep 23, 2012
Visit site
I ended up removing the offending songs in iTunes and adding them back.

thanks for mentioning you did this...i just did it and it worked for the ones i had issues with. I *think* this is caused by the song you originally added being changed in some way and the physical link gets broken because an updated version is added to Apple Music by Apple. So if you just add the one in the current store it's back as playable.

Bigeric23

Aug 17, 2010
Visit site
thanks for mentioning you did this...i just did it and it worked for the ones i had issues with. I *think* this is caused by the song you originally added being changed in some way and the physical link gets broken because an updated version is added to Apple Music by Apple. So if you just add the one in the current store it's back as playable.

Thanks for the update. I'm sure many people are going to have this issue.

rocco1022

Sep 23, 2012
Visit site
I had assumed the greyed out ones were just not available in Apple Music (anymore)...and this *is* the case for some still, but if you search Apple Music and your song shows up but is greyed out in your My Music...then this is the fix (removing and re-adding).

dkoerber

Sep 24, 2015
Visit site
Fixed it: If you view by songs in iTunes, you'll notice that the ones that are greyed out are the ones that aren't checked. Select all, Ctrl click, and select check selection.

crankerchick

Oct 15, 2012
Visit site
Fixed it: If you view by songs in iTunes, you'll notice that the ones that are greyed out are the ones that aren't checked. Select all, Ctrl click, and select check selection.

I actually did have this happen to me on my work laptop now that you say what your problem was. A bunch of songs were greyed out and I thought it was from turning on Apple Music (because many of us had songs not actually available to stream after turning on Apple Music--see above posts). It turned out to be they weren't checked. If the songs play just fine but are greyed out, it's because they aren't checked. If they won't play then it's because the library needs to be refreshed, in which case this thread kind of details what worked for some of us to fix that.

quenek

Aug 5, 2016
Visit site

Um, no.

Every song, even the ones that are check, are greyed out and unplayable in iTunes.

I cannot do anything with them.

JeanHuets

Sep 21, 2016
Visit site
I bulk checked the songs greyed out and they were playable. Actually they were playable before then, but to get them to play through on my Playlists I had to check them. Why? I cannot say.

In iTunes (your music), click on Songs. Scroll down. You'll find songs that are not checked. Select the first one, scroll to the last, press shift/[the last song]. Check them.

I hope this makes sense. Things are pretty hit/miss with me, so it's not easy to retrace my steps.

thanks to others on this thread who got me to this step!

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Erik4711