Lifeproof Fre Power iPhone 6

iLive an iLife

Trusted Member
Feb 27, 2011
Visit site
I have a lot of trips and outdoor activities planned for this summer. I decided to get on the waiting list a few weeks back for the Lifeproof Fre Power. I received notification last weekend that the cases were available for preorder (beginning to ship May 15th). I wasn't sure if I wanted to take the plunge. Lifeproof cases have always been hit-or-miss for me in the past and there weren't any reviews out yet since it's such a new product. By the time I decided to risk it and pull the trigger, preorders for the black Fre Power were pushed out to June 19th. I received shipping notification earlier this week that my case was on the way and it arrived yesterday (I was mad at myself for waiting and missing out on the first batch of cases). Wanted to share some feedback in case anyone else out there was also interested in this case.

I did a quick water test when I got home from work. The case passed with flying colors, so I installed my phone. I'm really, really impressed with the build quality. Lifeproof really seemed to get it right (after struggling a bit getting the iPhone 6 cases out).

-The silent switch works great and is easy to flip
-Volume/power buttons are a bit stiff but still very useable
-Screen protector covers the whole front of the phone and is entirely clear. There's a very small gap between the screen protector and the phone, but I think that will settle in after I use it a bit.
-The case charges via micro USB which is in the same place as the Lightning port.
-Phone notifications/sounds are perfect - VASTLY improved over prior models. The openings are on the back of the case which alleviates distortion and vibrations.
-Made a few test calls and I got no complaints of sounds muffled or far away.
-The battery is 2,600 mAh, enough to fully charger your iPhone 6 and a little more.
-Touch ID seems to be working pretty well. The film covering the sensor is smoothing out and the micro-bubbles are starting to disappear.

Battery cases do bulk up your phone (not a surprise to anyone), but Lifeproof did a nice job keeping the case very streamlined. My only compliant, which really isn't even a complaint, is that it's difficult to remove.

I am an avid golfer and have several trips/vacation planned this summer. From my initial reactions, this case was definitely a great investment. I'm going to try to get pictures posted later tonight. Let me know if you have any questions.

anon(52425)

Mar 1, 2009
Visit site
I have a lot of trips and outdoor activities planned for this summer. I decided to get on the waiting list a few weeks back for the Lifeproof Fre Power. I received notification last weekend that the cases were available for preorder (beginning to ship May 15th). I wasn't sure if I wanted to take the plunge. Lifeproof cases have always been hit-or-miss for me in the past and there weren't any reviews out yet since it's such a new product. By the time I decided to risk it and pull the trigger, preorders for the black Fre Power were pushed out to June 19th. I received shipping notification earlier this week that my case was on the way and it arrived yesterday (I was mad at myself for waiting and missing out on the first batch of cases). Wanted to share some feedback in case anyone else out there was also interested in this case.

I did a quick water test when I got home from work. The case passed with flying colors, so I installed my phone. I'm really, really impressed with the build quality. Lifeproof really seemed to get it right (after struggling a bit getting the iPhone 6 cases out).

-Screen protector covers the whole front of the phone and is entirely clear. There's a very small gap between the screen protector and the phone, but I think that will settle in after I use it a bit.
-The case charges via micro USB which is in the same place as the Lightning port.
-Phone notifications/sounds are perfect - VASTLY improved over prior models. The openings are on the back of the case which alleviates distortion and vibrations.
-The battery is 2,600 mAh, enough to fully charger your iPhone 6 and a little more.
-Touch ID seems to be working pretty well. The film covering the sensor is smoothing out and the micro-bubbles are starting to disappear.

Battery cases do bulk up your phone (not a surprise to anyone), but Lifeproof did a nice job keeping the case very streamlined. My only compliant, which really isn't even a complaint, is that it's difficult to remove.

I am an avid golfer and have several trips/vacation planned this summer. From my initial reactions, this case was definitely a great investment. I'm going to try to get pictures posted later tonight. Let me know if you have any questions.

Someone who has one. Cool. Question for you...

I am about to order this but have a question about the micro USB. I use my car stereo a lot with my iPhone. I connect it direct to my stereo via the lightning connector and I get all my controls on my stereo screen. With this case, when you plug in to say a stereo, do you still get on screen controls? With any other NON-iPhone device (such as Android phones), the only thing the usb port is good for is charging. Every one else has to use bluetooth if they want to play music.

According the Lifeproof, they use a "special" USB cable that allows charging and syncing with the iPhone in the case. I was wondering if this meant the same for other setups...like my stereo.

Thanks!

anon(52425)

Mar 1, 2009
Visit site

Someone who has one. Cool. Question for you...

I am about to order this but have a question about the micro USB. I use my car stereo a lot with my iPhone. I connect it direct to my stereo via the lightning connector and I get all my controls on my stereo screen. With this case, when you plug in to say a stereo, do you still get on screen controls? With any other NON-iPhone device (such as Android phones), the only thing the usb port is good for is charging. Every one else has to use bluetooth if they want to play music.

According the Lifeproof, they use a "special" USB cable that allows charging and syncing with the iPhone in the case. I was wondering if this meant the same for other setups...like my stereo.

Thanks!

anon(52425)

Mar 1, 2009
Visit site
I decided to buy it anyway. For those wondering, I am happy to report that using the case via micro usb works just like plugging in direct via lightning. One caveat though... You HAVE to use the "special" micro usb that comes with the case. I tried three "regular" usb cables and they didn't work. In fact they don't even charge the case/phone properly. So DONT LOOSE THE CABLE!

mfm77

Mar 4, 2011
Visit site
Thanks for the info on this case. I'm a runner and am looking at battery cases for when I do my long runs, including my second marathon in DC in October. I've been trying to decide between the Fre Power and the Mophie Juice Pack Plus. The LifeProof seems great because it's waterproof (never know when it might rain), but do you think it would be too heavy to carry while running? Granted, the Mophie might add weight as well, but I'm just curious. Also, does the screen protector on the Fre Power get annoying after awhile? Thanks in advance!

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
smitty22d2