Who uses a Windows 10 Laptop without Microsoft Office installed?

Just_Me_D

Ambassador Team Leader, Senior Moderator
Jan 8, 2012
Visit site
Do any of you use a Windows 10 laptop without having installed Microsoft Office? If so, is the preinstalled Mail and calendar app sufficient typical email and calendar needs, in your opinion?

Tartarus

Ambassador
Feb 20, 2014
Visit site
Do any of you use a Windows 10 laptop without having installed Microsoft Office? If so, is the preinstalled Mail and calendar app sufficient typical email and calendar needs, in your opinion?

I don’t have Microsoft Office Installed on my Windows 10 desktop pc.
But, unfortunately, I don’t use email and calendar on my computer.
The very rare times that I do need to access my emails on my pc, I use the web interface.

Just_Me_D

Jan 8, 2012
Visit site
The very rare times that I do need to access my emails on my pc, I use the web interface.

Thank you, sir...

gnirkatto

Nov 4, 2017
Visit site
I think the default W10 calendar and mail apps are sufficient for typical needs (but you will have to determine what's 'typical' for you! Of course, Office Outlook is more sophisticated).
I just find them to be plain ugly, design-wise, compared to the Apple Mac apps, or even compared to Office Outlook.
Of course functionality and stability is the main criterion for the quality of an app. However, its UI design makes for a satisfying user experience, therefore also very important imho.
I disliked the looks of W10 calendar app so very much, that I always used a 3rd party app from the app store. They were not much better, though (the W10 app store is quite poor). In comparison, the Mac-apps (Apple and others) are beautiful pieces of art.

Just_Me_D

Jan 8, 2012
Visit site
Same here. I use open office on my windows 10 laptop. Email is online web sites also.

I think the default W10 calendar and mail apps are sufficient for typical needs (but you will have to determine what's 'typical' for you! Of course, Office Outlook is more sophisticated).
I just find them to be plain ugly, design-wise, compared to the Apple Mac apps, or even compared to Office Outlook.
Of course functionality and stability is the main criterion for the quality of an app. However, its UI design makes for a satisfying user experience, therefore also very important imho.
I disliked the looks of W10 calendar app so very much, that I always used a 3rd party app from the app store. They were not much better, though (the W10 app store is quite poor). In comparison, the Mac-apps (Apple and others) are beautiful pieces of art.

Thanks for replying, gentlemen. I appreciate it.

I bought a cheap Dell Inspiron Windows 10 laptop with 8 GB RAM (just under $300 total) just to get somewhat reacquainted with Windows. I’m thinking about using it alongside my work-issues MacBook Air. I typically use 2 external monitors alongside my MacBook Air display, but since upgrading it to macOS Catalina, the monitor that’s connected via USB no longer displays with it at least not until Insignia updates its drivers.

A colleague of mine has already reached out to them since he’s experiencing the same thing. In the meantime, I’m going to use one monitor with my MacBook Air and the other with my Windows 10 laptop. At least that’s the plan.

imwjl

Apr 26, 2011
Visit site

Yes and no to the question. Our retiring Windows 7 in the enterprise means many of the replacements not having Office 365 installed. I use a Surface Pro 6 as my test system. Some users and lots of our home users are very pleased with the built in client software connecting to mostly Microsoft and Google clouds. Most of the time I use Firefox and Edge.

More and more a lot of the satisfaction has a parallel to Apple users where a first tier hardware, 8 GB of RAM and quality display are most important.

Lee_Bo

Apr 6, 2016
Visit site

Same here. All my “life” is on my MacBook Pro. I have a Windows 10 Pro laptop but I only use it for audio/video stuff at church.

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
smitty22d2