Microsoft's "Scroogled" campaign: a sign of desperation?

jsarino

VR Expert
Trusted Member
Jul 11, 2013
Visit site
Microsoft has been taking shots at Google for about a year now, from security, search, merchandizing ("Scroogled" mugs, anyone?), and now they are going after Chromebooks with the help of the "Pawn Stars" cast. Are they acknowledging the fact then that Chromebooks are hurting Windows PC sales? The bigger issue is, are they desperate that they would stoop to this level to sway people to buy their products and services?

Don't get me wrong, manufacturers have done this tactic before (Apple's "Mac vs. PC", Samsung's "The Next Big Thing is Here", etc.), but how effective is this sort of advertising, really? Let me hear your thoughts!

Laura Knotek

Jun 15, 2012
Visit site
I really don't think those types of negative campaigns work all that well. I think ads that are creative but show what a device can do are more effective. For example, the Nexus ads with the kid are catchy, and I think those really do a good job promoting the device. I also like some of Nokia's ads that show off the camera on the 1020.

If comparisons need to be made, I'd rather see Microsoft do more of the ads with Ben the Windows Guy and the Windows Phone challenge. I think those are more effective.

jsarino

VR Expert
Trusted Member
Jul 11, 2013
Visit site
What Apple has done well for years, which Google has also done (in a subtle way), is to sell their product as something that you should need for your daily life. That type of advertising works, and I'm sure all of us are guilty in some way of buying into it. :) The mudslinging-type of tactic doesn't work in politics, and I don't believe it works in product advertising either.

BlackBerry Guy

Trusted Member
Mar 4, 2011
Visit site
While I find ads like Scroogled and the Samsung sheep funny, they actually do little to make me want what they're selling.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk

Laura Knotek

Jun 15, 2012
Visit site
I thought the dancing people in the Surface ad was really bad. It didn't show what the Surface even does, other than that it has a keyboard that snaps in place.

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Tomwex73