iCloud Backup and Restore of whatsapp

sushilkhuttan

Nov 21, 2013
Visit site
Hi Guys, I have been trying to get an answer for this for long.
I know icloud automatically backs up watsapp messages and photos etc. But im not sure how it is done.
Does iCloud
1. backs up live chats/on the run while the person is chatting on whatsapp?
or/and
2. only backs up the backup already performed/existing on Watsapp (backup could be done through watsapp -> settings -> chat settings -> chat back up manually or automatically).

In other words, if i am chatting with Mr A, but i have NOT backed up my conversation on wats app using watsapp -> settings -> chat settings -> chat back up manually or automatically, Will the icloud somehow backup my chat with Mr A?
Also, could iCloud show my live chat on whatsapp with a friend on some different devices without I getting to know of it?

Thanks

Just_Me_D

Ambassador Team Leader, Senior Moderator
Jan 8, 2012
Visit site
I cannot see how iCloud could back up an in-progress messaging conversation. Let's say it backs up chronologically. Once it passes WhatsApp and goes to the next item, that's it. Of course, I'm only speculating. Still, I can't see iCloud backing up something you're in the process of typing.

jpxyz

Nov 20, 2013
Visit site
I tried it and WhatsApp backed up in-progress messages and even messages that arrived after the backup.
When I restored my iPhone every message & picture where there (except videos).

But the backup runs very slowly when I use the app very hard in this time.

Just_Me_D

Ambassador Team Leader, Senior Moderator
Jan 8, 2012
Visit site
Wait a minute. I am assuming that there is an automatic backup to iCloud option within the WhatsApp app. If so, then yes, I can see how the text conversations can be backed up in the manner mentioned in post #1

sushilkhuttan

Nov 21, 2013
Visit site
Just to confirm, there are 2 back ups here.
1. Back up done at whatsapp level settings -> chat settings -> chat back up. This is done manually by clicking Back Up Now. This is also done automatically where every morning 4am the chat gets backed up. Only existing messages are backed up. And if the user deletes the chat just before manual or auto back up, there is no data that is backed up.
2. Back up done by iCloud (as wat i have read from other people) is done once in 24 hours. And post 24 hours if certain conditions are fulfilled, iCloud automatically backs up.

Could you please confirm that iCloud backed up in progress whatsapp chat
or
iCloud backed up saved whats app chat back up?

jpxyz

Nov 20, 2013
Visit site
That's not from a iCloud backup though. What's App? Presumably stores your conversations on a server somewhere and is restoring them when you log into the app.
Are you sure?
Because when I disable "Documents & Data" for WhatApp, WhatsApp tells me when I try to backup:

"You need to be signed into iCloud and have 'Documents & Data' set to ON. To change your settings, go to iPhone Settings > iCloud"

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
smitty22d2