Unlock with Apple Watch feature

Lee_Bo

Apr 6, 2016
Visit site
Anyone else tried this yet? I was in line at the check in desk of the resort I’m at and held my phone to my face, phone detected a mask and my watch unlocked the phone.

I like it and hate it at the same time. :)

Annie_M

Mar 2, 2016
Visit site
I love it! I stop at Speedway every morning and use their app to pay. Wearing a mask has made it a nuisance to get into my phone to the App. And since I updated on Monday, it's been a breeze!

Just_Me_D

Ambassador Team Leader, Senior Moderator
Jan 8, 2012
Visit site
Anyone else tried this yet? I was in line at the check in desk of the resort I’m at and held my phone to my face, phone detected a mask and my watch unlocked the phone.

I like it and hate it at the same time. :)

I use the feature EVERY DAY and have been since the feature was presented in the Dev betas. I love it.

EdwinG

Ambassador
Mar 10, 2012
Visit site
I love the feature. It would have been great to have it a lot earlier.

Since there does not seem to be an end in sight for the mandatory mask decree in public spaces, I'll use it as much as possible :)

Not Quite Right

Trusted Member
May 11, 2013
Visit site
Has anyone noticed that your mask has to be fully on over your nose for it register properly? If your mask is under your nose, or a chin strap it no worky ...

BreakingKayfabe

Sep 12, 2008
Visit site
Has anyone noticed that your mask has to be fully on over your nose for it register properly? If your mask is under your nose, or a chin strap it no worky ...

I’ve found that when a mask is below my nose the phone just unlocks with Face ID proper. I’ve been using Apple Pay like this throughout the whole plandemic. I slightly pull the mask below my nose and I get it Face ID working.

Just_Me_D

Ambassador Team Leader, Senior Moderator
Jan 8, 2012
Visit site
I’ve found that when a mask is below my nose the phone just unlocks with Face ID proper. I’ve been using Apple Pay like this throughout the whole plandemic. I slightly pull the mask below my nose and I get it Face ID working.

Exactly this!

doogald

Trusted Member
Oct 23, 2012
Visit site

That is by design. See https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT212208

The feature also has these requirements:

• Your Apple Watch needs to be paired with your iPhone.
  • Your iPhone and Apple Watch need to have Wi-Fi and Bluetooth turned on.
  • Your Apple Watch needs to have a passcode, and wrist detection must be turned on.
  • Your Apple Watch needs to be on your wrist and unlocked.
  • You need to be wearing a mask that covers your mouth and nose.

Dgray2712

Dec 7, 2016
Visit site
Because I’m a truck driver, I don’t have access to WiFi on the truck. I refuse to pay for it on the road. So, I have to wait till I get home. HEY APPLE, IT’S MY DATA!!!! LET ME USE IT AS I SEE FIT!!!!!!!!!

doogald

Trusted Member
Oct 23, 2012
Visit site
Because I’m a truck driver, I don’t have access to WiFi on the truck. I refuse to pay for it on the road. So, I have to wait till I get home. HEY APPLE, IT’S MY DATA!!!! LET ME USE IT AS I SEE FIT!!!!!!!!!

You don't need to be connected to WiFi - you just need WiFi to be turned on for both devices. It doesn't have to be connected to each other. The two devices use WiFi and Bluetooth to see each other and time how long it takes for packets to get from one device to the other and back, which tells the phone how close the watch is - it needs to be within 3 meters (10 feet) IIRC.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
smitty22d2