When you stop during a workout, do you pause the activity on your Watch?

Chris Cook5

Sep 2, 2013
Visit site
I just wanted to ask a question without making a new thread. what does everyone do for short walks. when you stop and go again do you pause the Activity workout so it won’t keep running (or does it recognize you aren’t moving) or how does that work or what do you guys do?

Number two, are you able to play Wii sports without turning on any activity (will table tennis activity to the trick) do you have to play using your arm that the watch it on?

Number three, does exercise count for one solid minute or does it keep track of split up minutes. If you did push-ups and then take a break does that count?

SwitchBeach

Sep 2, 2013
Visit site
Re: Exercise questions

https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT204517

"The Exercise ring shows how many minutes of brisk activity you've completed so far. Complete your daily Exercise goal by exercising for at least 30 minutes each day."

https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT207941

"Make sure that you earn Move and Exercise credit

Every full minute of movement that equals or exceeds the intensity of a brisk walk counts toward your daily Exercise and Move goals. For wheelchair users, this is measured in brisk pushes. Any activity below this level counts only toward your daily Move goal.

To make sure that you earn Exercise credit during walks, allow the arm with your Apple Watch to swing naturally. For example, while walking your pet, let the arm with your watch swing freely while the other holds the leash.

If you need both hands while walking, for example to push a stroller, you can still earn Exercise credit with the Workout app. Open the app on your Apple Watch and tap Outdoor Walk. The Activity app relies on arm motion and an accelerometer to track movement, but the Workout app can use the accelerometer, the heart rate sensor, and GPS."

Chris Cook5

Sep 2, 2013
Visit site
Exercise questions

this might sound weird, but what about turning your Activity app onto table tennis and playing Wii?

do you ever run out of awards? IMG_1059.JPG

Last edited:

Annie_M

Mar 2, 2016
Visit site

There’s probably no specific category for either of those, but there is an “other” option, that you can use for miscellaneous activities.

doogald

Trusted Member
Oct 23, 2012
Visit site

Not quite sure what you are asking because only the watch screenshot shows move and only the health app screenshot shows steps.

(However, while watch to health app sync is relatively timely, sometimes it is off, so the numbers will lag a little bit. And the watch counts only steps done while you are wearing the watch, the iPhone also counts steps, so if you were taking steps while carrying the iPhone and not wearing the watch, the number could be higher on the health app.)

Chris Cook5

Sep 2, 2013
Visit site
Exercise questions

I think you answered it because I was just asking why they were different

if you are wearing your watch and your phone is in your pocket shouldn’t they be around the same? do you think Apple could work on that if they really wanted to

Last edited:

doogald

Trusted Member
Oct 23, 2012
Visit site

Apple does detect when you are carrying your phone and wearing your watch at the same time, but there may be times when the watch misses a step (your arm is in your pocket and doesn't swing) and the iPhone does, so it may adjust the totals in the Health app to reflect that.

Annie_M

Mar 2, 2016
Visit site

Apple does detect when you are carrying your phone and wearing your watch at the same time, but there may be times when the watch misses a step (your arm is in your pocket and doesn't swing) and the iPhone does, so it may adjust the totals in the Health app to reflect that.

This is a great explanation!

Chris Cook5

Sep 2, 2013
Visit site

I read an article where I need to have “ Motion calibration & distance” turned ON for my watch to work better or does it matter. has anyone experienced this

doogald

Trusted Member
Oct 23, 2012
Visit site

I read an article where I need to have “ Motion calibration & distance” turned ON for my watch to work better or does it matter. has anyone experienced this

Yes, I think it matters. Turn it on if you want to better track fitness and workouts and the distance you have walked/run (that's a stat/goal that is often used by the monthly challenges, for example.)

Chris Cook5

Sep 2, 2013
Visit site
Exercise questions

i’m finding out that “motion calibration and distance” works a lot better when turned ON. It doesn’t take near as long to update the stats

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FMHPro