Any other Swimmers having an issue in watchOS5 beta 2?

SaMaster14

Mar 8, 2012
Visit site
Went for a 2100m swim yesterday and while my watch did end up calculating calories and my heart rate, my sets/time/distance/etc was not logged. Hopefully this was a one time glitch... will try again this weekend or next week (whenever I get back in the pool!)

2ac2ef34644478ced74dbb98324ff9e0.jpg
e3183039d0c6501537cec0c3c1776193.jpg

Just_Me_D

Ambassador Team Leader, Senior Moderator
Jan 8, 2012
Visit site
Hopefully the members who frequently swim while wearing their Watch will reply soon.

doogald

Trusted Member
Oct 23, 2012
Visit site
I've got to be honest - I am hoping that people would be ethical enough not reply soon to abide by the confidentiality agreement.

https://beta.apple.com/sp/betaprogram/faq

[FONT=Myriad Set Pro, Helvetica Neue, Helvetica, Arial, sans-serif]Yes, the public beta software is Apple confidential information. Don’t install the public beta software on any systems you don't directly control or that you share with others. [/FONT]Don’t blog, post screen shots, tweet, or publicly post information about the public beta software, and don't discuss the public beta software with or demonstrate it to others who are not in the Apple Beta Software Program[FONT=Myriad Set Pro, Helvetica Neue, Helvetica, Arial, sans-serif]. If Apple has publicly disclosed technical information about the public beta software, it is no longer considered confidential.
[/FONT]

[FONT=Myriad Set Pro, Helvetica Neue, Helvetica, Arial, sans-serif](A private message response to the OP sounds like it would be ok, though.)[/FONT]

Lee_Bo

Apr 6, 2016
Visit site
While I'm not on beta, I do have a similar issue with the pool at the YMCA. It's indoors. All the other pools I frequent are outdoors and I never have an issue.

Possibility?

SaMaster14

Mar 8, 2012
Visit site
1) Not on the public beta - developer beta

2)Also, this would fall under information that Apple has already posted or shown, therefore making it non confidential if you read beyond the bolded text in the above post.

Swim workouts have been a part of WatchOS for a while now, plus the screenshot was taken from my phone, not watch. This is not the kind of confidential information Apple is trying to secure from leaking

SaMaster14

Mar 8, 2012
Visit site
While I'm not on beta, I do have a similar issue with the pool at the YMCA. It's indoors. All the other pools I frequent are outdoors and I never have an issue.

Possibility?

I’ve never had an issue pre-watchOS 5, beta 2 either indoors or outdoors.

doogald

Trusted Member
Oct 23, 2012
Visit site
1) Not on the public beta - developer beta

2)Also, this would fall under information that Apple has already posted or shown, therefore making it non confidential if you read beyond the bolded text in the above post.

Swim workouts have been a part of WatchOS for a while now, plus the screenshot was taken from my phone, not watch. This is not the kind of confidential information Apple is trying to secure from leaking

Has Apple actually shown what swim workouts look like in watchOS 5 publicly? As I recall, any workout data shown was with the outdoor running workout with its new pacing features and the new hiking workout, and the mention of automatic workout detection, and a demonstration of fitness challenges (which was not swimming.)

Also, a screen shot from your phone running the iOS 12 beta would be under the same restriction.

How do you know what Apple is trying to prevent from leaking if you haven't asked them?

The developer terms I believe are still strict.

4. Confidentiality. Except as otherwise set forth herein, you agree that any Apple pre- release software, services, and/or hardware (including related documentation and materials) provided to you as an Apple Developer (“Pre-Release Materials”) and any information disclosed by Apple to you in connection with Apple Events will be considered and referred to as “Apple Confidential Information”.

Notwithstanding the foregoing, Apple Confidential Information will not include: (a) information that is generally and legitimately available to the public through no fault or breach of yours; (b) information that is generally made available to the public by Apple; (c) information that is independently developed by you without the use of any Apple Confidential Information; (d) information that was rightfully obtained from a third party who had the right to transfer or disclose it to you without limitation; or (e) any third party software and/or documentation provided to you by Apple and accompanied by licensing terms that do not impose confidentiality obligations on the use or disclosure of such software and/or documentation.

Interrupting to highlight the key part:

Further, Apple agrees that you will not be bound by the foregoing confidentiality terms with regard to technical information about Apple pre- release software, services and/or hardware disclosed by Apple at WWDC (Apple’s Worldwide Developers Conference), except that you may not post screen shots of, write public reviews of, or redistribute any such materials.

Of course nobody ever gets in trouble for this. I get that people are curious and want to try out the new OS. But I'd like to see more people respect that agreement.

But I do hope that somebody would respond to you by private message.

SaMaster14

Mar 8, 2012
Visit site
I’m just trying to see if other people have the same issue or if it has been reported to Apple.

Funny though, I still think this would not be confidential under (a) and (b) above since Apple technically has made it available to the public, and therefore not restricted to the no screenshot problem

Regardless, I’d be happy to litigate my posting of a screenshot of the swim workout not working(well probably arbitrate considering I’m 99% positive without even reading that Apple has arbitration clauses riddled throughout all of their contracts and agreements).

I also have detrimentally relied upon Apple not suing the thousands of youtubers and influencers who have not been prosecuted for scrutinizing and sharing every aspect of the beta as soon as it dropped.

Honestly, just looking to get my swim workouts back on track I don’t need anyone to PM me anything, since I doubt there is a fix, absent reinstallation/an update/reboot - again trying to see if others experienced the same issue

doogald

Trusted Member
Oct 23, 2012
Visit site
By the way, please forgive me; I was irritable when I happened to read your post, which is only one of very many that really shouldn't be posted here for the reasons that I gave, and I really won't post this screed again on any other thread. I probably should have created a separate thread with my opinion. Just had to get it off my chest on what happened to be your thread.

Apple doesn't create a public beta for watchOS, probably because it's impossible for the user to downgrade, but the truth is that Apple means a developer beta to be used by app developers to try out their apps on the new OS and report bugs and feedback particularly on programming APIs ASAP so that the final release won't have them. It's really not meant for end user testing of functionality (that's what a public beta would be for.)

My editorial is done. Sorry for hijacking your thread. I'm now planing to ignore all watchOS 5 threads through the beta period from now on so this won't happen again.

SaMaster14

Mar 8, 2012
Visit site
^no apology necessary, what you’re saying makes sense, I just didn’t think I was doing any harm. (Also I’m almost positive the swim info on the iPhone is the same in watchOS4 and 5, there’s only a difference on the watch (which I didn’t post a ss of).

Regardless, I went for a swim today and everything worked perfectly! Must have been a one-off issue!

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FallDesigner