watchOS 5 Developer Beta 1

Just_Me_D

Ambassador Team Leader, Senior Moderator
Jan 8, 2012
Visit site
And battery life is horrendous. Battery life was the main reason for me to upgrade from a 38mm Series0 to Series3 42mm non-lte.

Battery life can indeed be better, but with the exception of yesterday, I can still get a full days use before needing a charge.

Tartarus

Ambassador
Feb 20, 2014
Visit site
Battery life can indeed be better, but with the exception of yesterday, I can still get a full days use before needing a charge.

That’s true, but next weekend I’m up for a 36 hour drive. It would be nice if I didn’t have to charge my watch until I reached my destination.

But that’s just me whining about something I clearly new beforehand and still decided to do the beta update.

doogald

Trusted Member
Oct 23, 2012
Visit site
The watchOS beta is a developer beta, and my (very strong) opinion is that, unless you are a developer and need to see how your watch app works on the new OS, you should not install the watch beta. At all. Ever. I understand why people do it, but almost everybody should not.

Tartarus

Ambassador
Feb 20, 2014
Visit site
The watchOS beta is a developer beta, and my (very strong) opinion is that, unless you are a developer and need to see how your watch app works on the new OS, you should not install the watch beta. At all. Ever. I understand why people do it, but almost everybody should not.

I don’t agree. The more people running the betas, the more diagnostics Apple receives. That way they can make the official release so much more stable than if only actual devs were running the betas.

Garz

Retired Moderator
Mar 9, 2009
Visit site
I don’t agree. The more people running the betas, the more diagnostics Apple receives. That way they can make the official release so much more stable than if only actual devs were running the betas.
Apple doesn't release watch betas to the public for a reason. Having betas on a phone is ok. If all goes bad, it downgradable. If it goes bad on a watch, nothing you can do except mail in your watch to have it downgraded. Even I don't load watch betas anymore. Not worth it and there were times I desperately wished I could downgrade.

Tartarus

Ambassador
Feb 20, 2014
Visit site
Apple doesn't release watch betas to the public for a reason. Having betas on a phone is ok. If all goes bad, it downgradable. If it goes bad on a watch, nothing you can do except mail in your watch to have it downgraded. Even I don't load watch betas anymore. Not worth it and there were times I desperately wished I could downgrade.

I have been running betas on my watches as soon as I got them. So far so good.
Yes, caution is okay, but in no way will I let it hold me back from running it on my watches.

Garz

Retired Moderator
Mar 9, 2009
Visit site
Yes that's your choice to load them. But Apple wont openly hand them out to everybody. When it comes to the watch beta, Apple is not looking for quantity of beta testers.

Tartarus

Ambassador
Feb 20, 2014
Visit site
Yes that's your choice to load them. But Apple wont openly hand them out to everybody. When it comes to the watch beta, Apple is not looking for quantity of beta testers.

Like I said, I don’t wholly disagree with you. That overly cautionary tone is just unsettling, is all I’m saying.

Garz

Retired Moderator
Mar 9, 2009
Visit site
Like I said, I don’t wholly disagree with you. That overly cautionary tone is just unsettling, is all I’m saying.
The reason I stopped was a couple years ago on the watch beta, my watch never made it through the day on battery. I had to wait until around beta 3 for better battery. And not like you can really just charge on the go. I was dead by 7pm every day. So for that reason, I stopped. My point was why I said that was you mentioned the more testers the better. That is true to a point. But Apple just doesn't want a ton of testers because you cant roll back. And they dealt with a lot of people sending their watches in. They want to avoid that so they don't openly release the watch beta to just anybody.

Donkichot

Oct 19, 2012
Visit site
Question: About location reminder on a LTE watch...

If you have a Serie-3 LTE watch and create a location reminder like
“Remind me to buy milk when I leave home”
Let’s say you leave home with the LTE watch but your iPhone stay at home.

Is the reminder will remind me on the watch when I leave home while my iPhone is still there... ?

No matter if watchOS 4 ou 5...

Just_Me_D

Jan 8, 2012
Visit site
Question: About location reminder on a LTE watch...

If you have a Serie-3 LTE watch and create a location reminder like
“Remind me to buy milk when I leave home”
Let’s say you leave home with the LTE watch but your iPhone stay at home.

Is the reminder will remind me on the watch when I leave home while my iPhone is still there... ?

No matter if watchOS 4 ou 5...

I'd like to think it would, but I don't know and have never tested it. I don't typically use location-based reminders on any device. Hopefully, those who do will reply soon.

RECON1

May 12, 2012
Visit site
I was able to install watchOS 5 before it was pulled when iOS 12 beta was released. I installed the one that was just pushed out and it looks like some changes might have been made. So far what I noticed (unless it’s just me) is the app cards are bigger now.

RECON1

May 12, 2012
Visit site
I’ve noticed that everyone time I get or make a call, the Phone app on the watch will be up after I hang up.

Tartarus

Ambassador
Feb 20, 2014
Visit site
I’ve noticed that everyone time I get or make a call, the Phone app on the watch will be up after I hang up.

You can disable that by going to watch app your phone > General > Wake Screen > disable Auto Launch Phone app.

watchOS 5 makes it now possible to switch to your Watch if you have answered a phone call on your iPhone.

Just_Me_D

Jan 8, 2012
Visit site
That’s true, but next weekend I’m up for a 36 hour drive. It would be nice if I didn’t have to charge my watch until I reached my destination.

But that’s just me whining about something I clearly new beforehand and still decided to do the beta update.

As a follow up to what I stated on the 10th, battery life has greatly improved now that the os has settled on my watch. Loving it!

Red_Phx82

Sep 12, 2012
Visit site
I installed before the rerelease and thinking there would prob only be installation changes I didn’t install re release now I have a notification to update

Just_Me_D

Jan 8, 2012
Visit site
I installed before the rerelease and thinking there would prob only be installation changes I didn’t install re release now I have a notification to update

Yeah, same here and I’m hesitant to install the re-release because the installed watchOS is performing flawlessly. Battery life is great and I’m pleased with it.

Tartarus

Ambassador
Feb 20, 2014
Visit site
Yeah, same here and I’m hesitant to install the re-release because the installed watchOS is performing flawlessly. Battery life is great and I’m pleased with it.

Like always with Apple’s releases, I didn’t hesitate and immediately updated.

It took a while, but like you said, once the watchOS has settled, battery life is amazing.

I can’t wait for the next round of updates on all my things Apple.

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Modernormal