watchOS 5 Developer Beta 1

bamf-hacker

Apple Watch and AirPod Champion, Ambassador
Champion
Nov 2, 2009
Visit site
The developer page still shows coming soon. I got mine installed though and so far so good.

Just_Me_D

Ambassador Team Leader, Senior Moderator
Jan 8, 2012
Visit site
watchOS works really well on my Series 3 watch with cellular enabled, however, the battery life has taken a hit. I can still go an entire day without needing a charge, but I'm down to like 45% battery life by bedtime. Don't get me wrong. That's not bad, but I'm used to having more than that left over.

eb_therebel

Sep 17, 2012
Visit site
Does the mail app now show emails that have html I it directly on the watch or does it still give you the message that it can’t display it?

Tartarus

Ambassador
Feb 20, 2014
Visit site
Does the mail app now show emails that have html I it directly on the watch or does it still give you the message that it can’t display it?

Interesting question. I believe it should show the content as it is instead of the blue disclaimer that it’s not optimized and such.

Fatboy71

Nov 11, 2011
Visit site
Just a quick question about the raise the wrist to activate Siri in WatchOS 5 that I wondered if someone could answer for me please?

The issue I think of with the raise the wrist to activate Siri feature is.

When I want to see the time now on my Apple Watch, I raise and turn my wrist to turn the screen on and see the time etc.

Now, from the description of the new Siri feature. Doing this same thing on WatchOS 5, would this inadvertently make me activate Siri?

I'd be interested in hearing from anyone who has got access to WatchOS 5, telling me if this will be the case or not.

KenV54

Jul 17, 2013
Visit site
I got the iOS 5 b1 update the day it came out, fortunately. Works beautifully on my S3 WiFi only watch.

Fatboy71

Nov 11, 2011
Visit site
I got the iOS 5 b1 update the day it came out, fortunately. Works beautifully on my S3 WiFi only watch.

The raise the wrist to activate Siri. Do you find it inadvertently activates when raising your wrist to see the time for example?

KenV54

Jul 17, 2013
Visit site
The raise the wrist to activate Siri. Do you find it inadvertently activates when raising your wrist to see the time for example?

It’s not activating at all when I raise my wrist. I still have to say Hey Siri. I tried toggling the Hey Siri off in the watch settings just to see what would happen, and then the only way to get to Siri is by holding the button.

Fatboy71

Nov 11, 2011
Visit site
It’s not activating at all when I raise my wrist. I still have to say Hey Siri. I tried toggling the Hey Siri off in the watch settings just to see what would happen, and then the only way to get to Siri is by holding the button.

Thanks for the help. By the sounds of it, the raise the wrist to activate Siri hasn't been implemented in the early beta. Be interesting to see how well it works, as the last thing I want is to inadvertently activate Siri, when I am wanting to check the time etc :)

doogald

Trusted Member
Oct 23, 2012
Visit site
Thanks for the help. By the sounds of it, the raise the wrist to activate Siri hasn't been implemented in the early beta. Be interesting to see how well it works, as the last thing I want is to inadvertently activate Siri, when I am wanting to check the time etc :)

I believe it isn't "raise the wrist to activate Siri" - it's "raise the wrist and Siri will start listening for commands in the background".

Fatboy71

Nov 11, 2011
Visit site
I believe it isn't "raise the wrist to activate Siri" - it's "raise the wrist and Siri will start listening for commands in the background".

Or right, got you now. That makes more sense, as I couldn't see how that feature would work, without inadvertently activating Siri every time you check the time etc. Thanks.

Aztek13

Feb 12, 2011
Visit site
Just curious: Is watchOS 5 as stable and relatively bug free as iOS 12 seems to be? What’s the general consensus?

Last edited:

Just_Me_D

Ambassador Team Leader, Senior Moderator
Jan 8, 2012
Visit site
Just curious: Is watchOS 5 as stable and relatively bug free as iOS 12 seems to be? What’s the general consensus?

Although watchOS 5 Dev beta 1 is working fine on my Series 3 watch, I don’t recommend installing at this time. For one, Apple pulled the beta due to installation issues. In addition, there’s no going back to a previous version once installed without having to ship the watch to Apple.

Tartarus

Ambassador
Feb 20, 2014
Visit site
Although watchOS 5 Dev beta 1 is working fine on my Series 3 watch, I don’t recommend installing at this time. For one, Apple pulled the beta due to installation issues. In addition, there’s no going back to a previous version once installed without having to ship the watch to Apple.

And battery life is horrendous. Battery life was the main reason for me to upgrade from a 38mm Series0 to Series3 42mm non-lte.

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Thomas Woods