Siri automatically activating on Watch OS4?

ThePinkChameleon

Trusted Member
Jul 8, 2011
Visit site
Hey all. Since updating to Watch OS 4, I've had a problem with Siri activating on its own. At first I thought it was because the way the crown was possibly connecting with my wrist, till one day while eating lunch and my left arm was laying flat(crown/power button on right side) and I get a double tap with Siri popping up on my watch screen. I know I didn't do anything that time to possibly activate it accidentally. Finally I'm not crazy lol.

So, I call Apple Support. The tech suggested I reboot my watch & phone, and if that didn't help to wipe and reinstall the software on my watch as new. I did both options. It lasted maybe a week before things started acting up again.

Then I changed the the crown/power button orientation to the left side. Ehhhhh wasn't happening as much. (Yes I've even turned off "hey Siri" on my watch)

Fast forward to today. It's been unbearable. Every few minutes Siri is activating on its own, and I'm beyond frustrated. I'm ready to launch my watch at a brick wall. I have searched Apple forum and have found some people complaining of this very issue with no resolution.

Is there any of you that have this issue as well? Have you found a solution? I rely on my watch everyday. I've tried getting on without it but I wasn't able to get past a day.

I'm thinking my next move will be to actually go into an Apple store and see a genius.

If anyone has any input please share !! I'm BEYOND FRUSTRATED☹️

ThePinkChameleon

Trusted Member
Jul 8, 2011
Visit site
Have you tried turning off Siri on both your iPhone and your Watch? And then turning it back on?

Yes I've even tried that as well. I've even just turned it off and left it off, but I find I do need it on my phone on occasion so I'd rather leave it on.

Thanks for the suggestion tho.

Just_Me_D

Ambassador Team Leader, Senior Moderator
Jan 8, 2012
Visit site
Hi Pink, I’m sorry you’re dealing with such an issue and I’m trying to replicate the problem in my Watch. Having said that, which watch face are you using?

ThePinkChameleon

Trusted Member
Jul 8, 2011
Visit site
Hi Pink, I’m sorry you’re dealing with such an issue and I’m trying to replicate the problem in my Watch. Having said that, which watch face are you using?

omg Darrick, I'm seriously loosing my mind LOL. I'm using the module face. I've been using this set up for months now. When I was on Watch OS3 I had ZERO issues with Siri activating. This all started when I updated to OS4.
fa55eb330fbcdb014af7b25ea2933062.jpg

Just_Me_D

Jan 8, 2012
Visit site
I hear ya.... ....is it safe to assume you’re running watchOS 4 or the latest version - watchOS 4.2?

Just_Me_D

Jan 8, 2012
Visit site
Yes, indeed OS 4.2 Build 15S402.

Okay. Thanks. I’m trying some various things with my Watch and iPhone to see if I can replicate the problem. Thus far, I cannot, but I’ll keep trying. In the meantime, if you haven’t already, make a Genius Bar appointment with the Apple Store, just in case.

ThePinkChameleon

Trusted Member
Jul 8, 2011
Visit site
Okay. Thanks. I’m trying some various things with my Watch and iPhone to see if I can replicate the problem. Thus far, I cannot, but I’ll keep trying. In the meantime, if you haven’t already, make a Genius Bar appointment with the Apple Store, just in case.

Thank you for your help D... Not that I want it happening to you but if it does & you find a solution please share !! Lol.

In the meantime, I will probably just walk in to the Apple store tomorrow and see if anyone can help me resolve this.

Have a good night

ThePinkChameleon

Trusted Member
Jul 8, 2011
Visit site
Have you tried cleaning the Digital Crown following Apple's procedure?

https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT204522

I'm not suggesting that this is the case, but I'm just wondering if perhaps there is some sort of foreign material that is causing the watch to think that you are pressing and holding the Digital Crown?

Thanks for the suggestion doogald, I'm going to try this today and see how it goes. If my watch starts to act up again I'll head over to the Apple store this evening.

ThePinkChameleon

Trusted Member
Jul 8, 2011
Visit site
Have you tried cleaning the Digital Crown following Apple's procedure?

https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT204522

I'm not suggesting that this is the case, but I'm just wondering if perhaps there is some sort of foreign material that is causing the watch to think that you are pressing and holding the Digital Crown?

So I literally just did this and put my watch on. Within a minute of not moving my wrist Siri popped up☹️☹️☹️ This is so beyond frustrating abd I'm really beginning to even hate using my watch at this point. I'll be going to the Apple store today as originally planned.... Setting up an appointment now.

EDIT: no appointments avail in my area till next week. I’m guessing with the holiday rush they are getting slammed. Only place is Best Buy and I don’t want to go there. I’ll wait it out at this point, but I’ll put a call into Apple support by phone today.

Last edited:

doogald

Trusted Member
Oct 23, 2012
Visit site
I was thinking it's maybe a hardware issue, but suggested the cleaning, just in case.

EDIT: no appointments avail in my area till next week. I’m guessing with the holiday rush they are getting slammed. Only place is Best Buy and I don’t want to go there. I’ll wait it out at this point, but I’ll put a call into Apple support by phone today.

I was just at an Apple Store today, to help my son buy a new MacBook (Xmas gift from us.) The person in front of us was asking about the Genius Bar, and was also told that there were no appointments available tomorrow, either, but the front of the store employee suggested coming in as soon as they open tomorrow (10 am at this store) to see if they can squeeze her in. So, you could try that, if you have any available time.

ThePinkChameleon

Trusted Member
Jul 8, 2011
Visit site
I was thinking it's maybe a hardware issue, but suggested the cleaning, just in case.

I was just at an Apple Store today, to help my son buy a new MacBook (Xmas gift from us.) The person in front of us was asking about the Genius Bar, and was also told that there were no appointments available tomorrow, either, but the front of the store employee suggested coming in as soon as they open tomorrow (10 am at this store) to see if they can squeeze her in. So, you could try that, if you have any available time.

Thanks, I do appreciate the help by all means. Unfortunately, the crown cleaning didn't work. All day my watch had been acting up.

As for the Genius Bar help, I can try to get to my nearest store by 10 tomorrow.

At this point, I'm so frustrated, that I'm ready to just get a Fit Bit again like I had previous to my Apple watch. Only someone who is experiencing the inconvenience I am would understand how frustrating it really is.

I'm on a watch series 2..... I'm wondering if anyone with a series 3 has this issue...?

djg21

Oct 18, 2011
Visit site
I encounter this at times when driving. I’ll try to make a call on my iPhone using Hands Free and my watch3 will try to make a call.

ThePinkChameleon

Trusted Member
Jul 8, 2011
Visit site
I encounter this at times when driving. I’ll try to make a call on my iPhone using Hands Free and my watch3 will try to make a call.

Ok, this thread is about Siri just activating itself on the Apple watch without the user summonsing Siri.

Could you clarify your post? Is your watch series 3 using Siri to try and make a call while you're already initiating a call from your cars Bluetooth calling system?

ThePinkChameleon

Trusted Member
Jul 8, 2011
Visit site
I just wanted to update here.

Since I last contacted Apple by phone (November) in regards to this issue, I've already rebooted both my phone & watch simultaneously, restored the watch as new twice, made sure voice over and hey Siri were turned off on the watch. I've still had a huge issue with Siri just popping up on my watch whenever.

It's gotten so bad the past few days my watch was just about unusable because I had to leave it off.... My aggravation was thru the roof, and I haven't had time to actually go to the Apple Store.

I called Apple today and they are sending me a brand new watch. It should be here tomorrow or Friday at the latest.

Great customer care as always with Apple, I'm hoping the new watch will be"Siri pop up" free

Just_Me_D

Jan 8, 2012
Visit site
I just wanted to update here.

Since I last contacted Apple by phone (November) in regards to this issue, I've already rebooted both my phone & watch simultaneously, restored the watch as new twice, made sure voice over and hey Siri were turned off on the watch. I've still had a huge issue with Siri just popping up on my watch whenever.

It's gotten so bad the past few days my watch was just about unusable because I had to leave it off.... My aggravation was thru the roof, and I haven't had time to actually go to the Apple Store.

I called Apple today and they are sending me a brand new watch. It should be here tomorrow or Friday at the latest.

Great customer care as always with Apple, I'm hoping the new watch will be"Siri pop up" free

That’s great news, Pink! Hopefully, your new Watch will not drive you insane...... Thank you for the update.

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
smitty22d2