WatchOS 4 Dev Beta 3 is Now Available.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Garz

Retired Moderator
Mar 9, 2009
Visit site
So far beta 3 is performing way better than the 2 previous betas.

If you were to update to it, you wouldn’t regret it.

Seems like many say this beta takes so long to update to. At least 2 hours. And then it gets stuck. I don’t have the patience for all that. I’ll wait until there are no flaws trying to get it installed. I only use my watch for notifications and health tracking so nothing I see on this update is a must for me to jump into.

Tartarus

Ambassador
Feb 20, 2014
Visit site
Seems like many say this beta takes so long to update to. At least 2 hours. And then it gets stuck. I don’t have the patience for all that. I’ll wait until there are no flaws trying to get it installed. I only use my watch for notifications and health tracking so nothing I see on this update is a must for me to jump into.

True, but those people, me included, were updating from beta 2 to 3. For all I know the reason for the issues was beta 2. Only one way to find out for you is to update to 3. Or not, I respect that.

Just_Me_D

Ambassador Team Leader, Senior Moderator
Jan 8, 2012
Visit site
The latest iOS 11 Dev betas are working great on my iPhone and iPad, but the latest dev beta of WatchOS 4 drains my watch battery BIG TIME! I’m going to erase all contents and settings prior to going to bed tonight and then see how the battery performs tomorrow....

Tartarus

Ambassador
Feb 20, 2014
Visit site
The latest iOS 11 Dev betas are working great on my iPhone and iPad, but the latest dev beta of WatchOS 4 drains my watch battery BIG TIME! I’m going to erase all contents and settings prior to going to bed tonight and then see how the battery performs tomorrow....

That’s odd. Beta 2 drained my battery in under 3 hours every time and the charging took forever.
With beta 3 it’s up to par with the latest official release of watchOS 2.
A restore should fix your issue, yes.

Garz

Retired Moderator
Mar 9, 2009
Visit site
True, but those people, me included, were updating from beta 2 to 3. For all I know the reason for the issues was beta 2. Only one way to find out for you is to update to 3. Or not, I respect that.

I’ve been on the beta train every year since iOS 3 beta for iPhone. I’ve had every flagship iPhone since iPhone 3G. But reason why I get hesitant on watch was last year, I had battery issue. It wouldn’t charge at all. And because it was on beta, Apple blamed the beta and said they couldn’t help. I got stuck since I could not downgrade and had a useless watch for a bit. Luckily official release was only a few weeks away and then I was able to get off beta and then get my watch replaced. I don’t want to be stuck in that predicament again.

ItnStln

Apr 3, 2010
Visit site
I’ve been on the beta train every year since iOS 3 beta for iPhone. I’ve had every flagship iPhone since iPhone 3G. But reason why I get hesitant on watch was last year, I had battery issue. It wouldn’t charge at all. And because it was on beta, Apple blamed the beta and said they couldn’t help. I got stuck since I could not downgrade and had a useless watch for a bit. Luckily official release was only a few weeks away and then I was able to get off beta and then get my watch replaced. I don’t want to be stuck in that predicament again.
Great point

KenV54

Jul 17, 2013
Visit site

I upgraded directly from Watch OS 3.2 to 4 Beta 3. It took about 2 hours from start of download through install. At a couple points it seemed to stop completely and I thought it wasn’t going to work, but it did, and seamlessly. No problems so far except for battery life, which seems less than on 3.2, but I’ll see how it goes on Day 2. (If I wipe it with the beta 3 installed, can I be sure there will be a backup on the iPhone to use to restore it? Or does a restore defeat the purpose?)

Not a whole lot of difference for me, the way I use my watch, but I like the new Siri watch face and features. The watch itself responds to Hey Siri with the phone out of voice reach. Is that new, or was it also there in 3.2?

Tartarus

Ambassador
Feb 20, 2014
Visit site
I upgraded directly from Watch OS 3.2 to 4 Beta 3. It took about 2 hours from start of download through install. At a couple points it seemed to stop completely and I thought it wasn’t going to work, but it did, and seamlessly. No problems so far except for battery life, which seems less than on 3.2, but I’ll see how it goes on Day 2. (If I wipe it with the beta 3 installed, can I be sure there will be a backup on the iPhone to use to restore it? Or does a restore defeat the purpose?)

Not a whole lot of difference for me, the way I use my watch, but I like the new Siri watch face and features. The watch itself responds to Hey Siri with the phone out of voice reach. Is that new, or was it also there in 3.2?

The backup is there, on the iPhone but deliberately chose not to restore from a backup.

I’m not sure about Siri. I don’t use it that much on the Watch.

metllicamilitia

Ambassador
Dec 25, 2011
Visit site
I sent in a bug report to Apple, but I was scammed out of my goals. It literally didn’t count my stand goal during the hour I was completely the Challenge badge nor another hour later on so my stand goal was incomplete. It’s a little annoying.

robertk328

Jun 7, 2010
Visit site
Mine wouldn't find it by checking in the app. Had to wait a bit before the red (1) showed up on the badge. Updated no problem, but it hung up with the reboot and I had to reboot manually.

Battery seems better so far, but time will tell!

Just_Me_D

Jan 8, 2012
Visit site
I’ll take my Watch off of the charger after I get cleaned up and see how it goes. I erased all contents and settings last night so hopefully my battery issue will improve today. I’ve never had to charge my Watch or be alerted that it’s needs to go into power saving mode until this recent watchOS beta, but I’m also confident that the reset will fix the problem. We know soon enough, huh?

syx6sic

Apr 20, 2015
Visit site
I don’t see where the 2 hours for the beta 3 update download and install comes from took 20 minutes for me to download and once I put my watch on the charger it took 30 minutes to do the update only had one issue when first started saying it couldn’t verify the update then just went thru

Tartarus

Ambassador
Feb 20, 2014
Visit site
I don’t see where the 2 hours for the beta 3 update download and install comes from took 20 minutes for me to download and once I put my watch on the charger it took 30 minutes to do the update only had one issue when first started saying it couldn’t verify the update then just went thru

Every beta and every watch is different. This is the first time for me I had issues updating. For one it goes smoothly, for another with issues and the next time the roles are the other way around.

robertk328

Jun 7, 2010
Visit site

Newer version watches seem to handle these tasks better than the first gen many of us have.

syx6sic

Apr 20, 2015
Visit site
Newer version watches seem to handle these tasks better than the first gen many of us have.

I have both gens and both loaded pretty quickly so not sure only had the issue saying it couldn’t verify the update first then went thru the second time so maybe I just got lucky lol but so far running smoothly

Just_Me_D

Jan 8, 2012
Visit site
Update: As expected, erasing all contents and settings, and then starting over cures the battery drain for me. My Watch appears to be back to having long battery life.....

Tartarus

Ambassador
Feb 20, 2014
Visit site
Update: As expected, erasing all contents and settings, and then starting over cures the battery drain for me. My Watch appears to be back to having long battery life.....

Too bad restoring causes this in the Health app:
3b6cf16a6c6f7794672968c733ceafb7.png

It certainly is not good for my OCD

Status
Not open for further replies.

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
forwardsmychoice