How do I use purchased ringtones as text alert tones?

ivhs72

Jul 15, 2008
Visit site
Can't use purchased ringtones as text alert tones

Have a question for experienced iOS technical types. I've purchased several ringtones from iTunes and have used them on my iPhones (5/5S/6). I'm able to assign all of them as ringtones both as defaults and assigned to individual contacts. I want to also use them for text alert tones for some individual contacts as well. When I try that, not all of them show in the list so that I can assign them. When I try to select my default Text Tone, not all of them show up there, only about 1/2 of them. I've even purchased a text tone for a contact (off iTunes), and it stayed there for only two days, then became just another ringtone. Any suggestions?

kch50428

Oct 22, 2010
Visit site
Re: Can't use purchased ringtones as text alert tones

How long are the tones? I believe there's a limit to how long a text tone can be...if using a ringtone for a text alert that's too long... It will have issues.

ivhs72

Jul 15, 2008
Visit site

The ringtones are all 30 secs. Everything on my phone I purchased off iTunes as ringtones, not longer songs that I've edited to a smaller size. I just find it strange that all of them can be used as ringtones, but only a few as text tones. That includes ones that I've purchased as text tones (I select a contact, edit the contact and under text tones, I select "Buy More Tones". It takes me to iTunes where I make that purchase. Last night, I purchased "New York New York" as a text alert for ESPN. It showed up as a text alert in the contact information. This morning, that alert is not there, and has been replaced by my default one. It also isn't available as a text tone, only a ringtone). There doesn't seem to be any rhyme or reason to their madness.

HankAZ

Banned
Jul 26, 2012
Visit site

The ringtones are all 30 secs. Everything on my phone I purchased off iTunes as ringtones, not longer songs that I've edited to a smaller size. I just find it strange that all of them can be used as ringtones, but only a few as text tones. That includes ones that I've purchased as text tones (I select a contact, edit the contact and under text tones, I select "Buy More Tones". It takes me to iTunes where I make that purchase. Last night, I purchased "New York New York" as a text alert for ESPN. It showed up as a text alert in the contact information. This morning, that alert is not there, and has been replaced by my default one. It also isn't available as a text tone, only a ringtone). There doesn't seem to be any rhyme or reason to their madness.

My suggestion would be to contact Apple:
Apple - iPhone - Feedback

ivhs72

Jul 15, 2008
Visit site

I did contact Apple support. The short story that I got is that not every ringtone can be used for anything other than a ringtone (due to copyright restrictions, they say). They said I should only download text tones to use as text tones. I explained that that is what I had been doing, but that the iTunes menu doesn't always distinguish which tones are ringtone only ones. When I told them that tones I had downloaded as text tones disappeared after a few hours, their response was it takes their (Apple's) system time to distinguish what a download is being used for, ie, ringtone vs. text alert, mail alert, etc. I did hold them accountable that they need to provide some way for users to know if a tone is only available for ringtones. Was not impressed with the support person I talked to, he seemed to trying instruct me on the "proper" way to assign alerts and ringtones......

natasftw

Sep 13, 2012
Visit site

Why are you buying ringtones anyway? iTunes is setup to let you choose exactly the piece of your song you'd like to be a tone and creates the tone for you free of charge.

How to Make Free Ringtones in iTunes

I've never had an issue with any of these appearing in both text and ringtones

samanthafoxx

Jul 1, 2016
Visit site

Have a question for experienced iOS technical types. I've purchased several ringtones from iTunes and have used them on my iPhones (5/5S/6). I'm able to assign all of them as ringtones both as defaults and assigned to individual contacts. I want to also use them for text alert tones for some individual contacts as well. When I try that, not all of them show in the list so that I can assign them. When I try to select my default Text Tone, not all of them show up there, only about 1/2 of them. I've even purchased a text tone for a contact (off iTunes), and it stayed there for only two days, then became just another ringtone. Any suggestions?

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
smitty22d2