Create your own alert tones (SMS, email, voicemail, etc.)

Freiteez

Mar 13, 2009
Visit site
On ios5 you can now use custom ringtones as new alerts for SMS, email, etc.

I'm going to show you how to make your own alert tones in iTunes. This is the same method I do to make full ringtones but for these alert tones you only want a file/sound clip that's 2-5 seconds long or else your going to hear a full 30 second sound clip just when you get a SMS or email for example.

Here are the steps:

1. Open iTunes, Select a song.

2. Right-Click the song, go to Get Info.

3. Go to the options tab and set the start and stop time adding up to 2-5 seconds.

4. Close, Right-Click the song, go to Create AAC version

5. Go back to the original song, Right-Click, Get info, Options tab, uncheck the start and stop times. (or else that song will only play the 2-5 seconds you chose for the ringtone).

6. Right-click the 2-5 seconds, go to show in Windows Explorer.

7. Right-click the file, rename with .m4r extension

8. Double Click the file, it'll start playing in your ringtones section in iTunes.

9. Drag and drop the ringtone into your iPhone.

Here's a couple I made. One is for the Star Tours ride at Disneyland. One is from Power Rangers and the last one is a good one for email. AOL You've Got Mail

Last edited:
Reactions: Zach7 and dj2big

Fausty82

Jun 23, 2010
Visit site
On ios5 you can now use custom ringtones as new alerts for SMS, email, etc.

I'm going to show you how to make your own alert tones in iTunes. This is the same method I do to make full ringtones but for these alert tones you only want a file/sound clip that's 2-5 seconds long or else your going to hear a full 30 second sound clip just when you get a SMS or email for example.

Here are the steps:

1. Open iTunes, Select a song.

2. Right-Click the song, go to Get Info.

3. Go to the options tab and set the start and stop time adding up to 2-5 seconds.

4. Close, Right-Click the song, go to Create AAC version

5. Go back to the original song, Right-Click, Get info, Options tab, uncheck the start and stop times. (or else that song will only play the 2-5 seconds you chose for the ringtone).

6. Right-click the 2-5 seconds, go to show in Windows Explorer.

7. Right-click the file, rename with .m4r extension

8. Double Click the file, it'll start playing in your ringtones section in iTunes.

9. Drag and drop the ringtone into your iPhone.

This works great as long as you have your iTunes import settings to create AAC files. If it's set to creat MP3 files, you won't see the "Create AAC version" in step 4. So, to use this tip, make sure your import settings create AAC files NOT MP3s.

Zach7

Oct 20, 2011
Visit site
What a great tip! Thank you for this information! I had to drag and drop at the end to my iTunes library and then do a sync, but it worked great!

Jeannie R

Aug 1, 2012
Visit site
Thank you for your help Freiteez and also thank you for the attached files. I used 'you've got mail' and 'star tours chime'. They are perfect. Thank you so much x

NetworkLabs

Aug 17, 2012
Visit site
This is basically how I modified my System Sounds. But instead of the Ringtones folder, I went to System -> Library ->Audio ->UISounds and made my changes there.

Just_Me_D

Ambassador Team Leader, Senior Moderator
Jan 8, 2012
Visit site
Can you provide a pic of folder?

FYI: Just in case you didn't notice, you responded to a post created in August 2012. The person to whom you asked your question has not logged in with that username is quite some time.

Hero130698

Mar 31, 2016
Visit site
hei. i got two requests to you. 1: the legend of zelda OoT open chest with get item sound, wanna use it as an sms ;)
2: the legend of zelda main theme, wanna use that as an ringtone :) could you please help me? :) :)

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
smitty22d2