How do I put ringtones on my phone

Fausty82

Jun 23, 2010
Visit site
How do I put ringtones from my computer on to my iPhone?

If they are properly formatted and named, simply drag them to iTunes and sync your phone.

There are plenty of articles on how to create ringtones on TiPb forums, but they must be .M4A formatted, but have the .M4R file extension.

MustangLife

Oct 30, 2009
Visit site
Easiest process there is.... Myxer . In settings choose Iphone. When you upload a song from your music on your pc or mac and click download file and choose where to save. You than just drag and drop like you would a song in your music library. Except just throw it into ringtones and sync the phone. Its as easy as downloading music and putting it into your itunes library. But I've been on the iphone platform for years now and myxer is by far the best.

anon(4698833)

Banned
Sep 7, 2010
Visit site
You guys cannot be trying all that hard if you can't figure it out...here is a step by step "...for dummies." type write up that shows how to make ringtones (without having to download an app). If you can't get it to work doing this, you might want to get used to just using Marimba...

How To Create Ringtone for iPhone on iTunes 10

...also keep in mind that, like posted above, the 3rd party apps almost make this an effortless action, and would probably be the best bet for someone who is having problems with the manual way (as baffling as that is to me).

akmolin

Mar 24, 2011
Visit site
Myxer.com is a great site to use for free ringtones/ alert tones they will tell you what to do to get them to your iPhone you will need to visit the site on your computer though

gc916

Aug 20, 2011
Visit site
You guys cannot be trying all that hard if you can't figure it out...here is a step by step "...for dummies." type write up that shows how to make ringtones (without having to download an app). If you can't get it to work doing this, you might want to get used to just using Marimba...

...also keep in mind that, like posted above, the 3rd party apps almost make this an effortless action, and would probably be the best bet for someone who is having problems with the manual way (as baffling as that is to me).
Another iPhone newbie here. I tried the method described on Simonblog several times. I successfully completed each step, but after syncing, the ringtone I created doesn't appear on my iPhone 4s. When I checked the "Ringtones" section of iTunes while my phone was connected, the options for syncing all ringtones or only the selected ringtones, both were grayed out.

I'd appreciate any advice.

chrstdvd

Jan 12, 2011
Visit site
In the tab for ring tones, did you put a check by "sync ringtones"? That should activate the choices in the box below.
If it does not, verify in there are ring tones in the panel on the left under apps.
If non are there, then you need to complete the last step, highlight the original song, right click it open in windows explorer or finder, locate the renamed file and double click it. It will play in itunes and then be in your ringtones section.

I could not find mine on the phone. Finally I opened the contacts app, picked my wife, hit edit, found assign ringtone and the ones that I had just synced to the phone were there above the pre installed ones.

Last edited:
Reactions: gc916

gc916

Aug 20, 2011
Visit site
In the tab for ring tones, did you put a check by "sync ringtones"? That should activate the choices in the box below.
If it does not, verify in there are ring tones in the panel on the left under apps.
If non are there, then you need to complete the last step, highlight the original song, right click it open in windows explorer or finder, locate the renamed file and double click it. It will play in itunes and then be in your ringtones section.

I could not find mine on the phone. Finally I opened the contacts app, picked my wife, hit edit, found assign ringtone and the ones that I had just synced to the phone were there above the pre installed ones.
chrstdvd,

I'm feeling pretty stupid right now...I hadn't put the checkmark in front of "sync ringtones." Guess I need to work on my comprehension skills.

Thanks for your help!

Dec 3, 2011
Visit site
I make ringtones out of my music collection, which consists only of WAV and 320kbps MP3 files.

1. Use Audacity (it's free) or some other sound editing program
2. Modify as you please (I like to add a very short fade-in and fade-out and adjust the gain), though the clip you make must be under 40 seconds in order to be used as a ringtone
3. Save the clip somewhere
4. Add the clip to the iTunes library
5. Click on it in the iTunes library, click on the Advanced tab and choose "Create AAC Version"
6. The .m4a file automatically appears in the library when you do that, so right-click on it and choose "Show in Windows Explorer"
7. Make sure you can see file extensions in filenames. Rename the extension of the file you just created from .m4a to .m4r.
8. Drag the .m4r file to iTunes. It should appear in the ringtones section. Make sure your iPhone is set to sync ringtones from the library in the "ringtones" tab on the device in iTunes. You may need to modify iTunes settings if a Ringtone tab is not showing. It can be kinda wonky, I had to uncheck the box to sync ringtones, sync my phone, check the box, then sync my phone again in order for the ringtones to show up the first time.

iGrannyApple

Jan 23, 2012
Visit site
If they are properly formatted and named, simply drag them to iTunes and sync your phone.

There are plenty of articles on how to create ringtones on TiPb forums, but they must be .M4A formatted, but have the .M4R file extension.

So you can't just save a ringtone on your iPhone without using iTunes?

huffman01

Feb 6, 2012
Visit site
SPRINT - IPHONE adding ringtones to ITUNES

ok, so I have read through all the posts and tried all the options however at the end there IS NOT a Ringtone option in my Itunes. I went to preferences / general and Ringtones does not exist. Am I going crazy because this should be very simple.

I tried myexer however it will not send the ringtone to my phone it tells me to download it and transfer to Itunes.

Grrrrr..

andromeda3116

Apr 24, 2012
Visit site
I've done everything listed here twice. iTunes tells me that the files have synced, and under my iPhone's tab in iTunes, it tells me that the ringtones are on it.

But they're not. I can't access them from my iPhone. They aren't listed in sounds or music, and even using the search function, they're still not there. For reference, it's an iPhone 4, version 5.1.

Haunted

Apr 22, 2012
Visit site
I make ringtones out of my music collection, which consists only of WAV and 320kbps MP3 files.
1. Use Audacity (it's free) or some other sound editing program

It not necessary to download and install any software to modify mp3 files to ringtones, there are millions or online ringtones maker like
Ringtones, MP3s, Wallpapers, Videos and more from Myxer.com | Real Music Ringtones for any Mobile Cell Phone - Brinked.com | Mp3 to Ringtones | Make Ringtone | Free Ringtones Maker | Create Your Own Ringtones Free | Cut Mp3 Music Free Online | Mp3 to Ringtones Maker -> Create Your Own Ringtone from MP3 file FREE

Then just synchronize your Itunes and phone as usually.

Latest posts

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CØR