I just wonder when this will happen. It seems as if it's all moving in this direction. I think it'll be nice not to have to hold all that data On the iPhone, iPod Touch, or iPad. That would free up a lot of memory on our mobile devices. I don't know about you all, but most of my memory on my iPhone is dedicated to my music collection, only a fraction of which I really use at any given time. Wouldn't it be nice to be able to pull from the 'cloud' whatever you wanted from your collection without having to sync 1st through your computer? Just enter your creds and then ask for what you want (from your collection, of course). It is pulled from the cloud and then there you go. Whenever you buy new tracks from iTunes they are automatically added to your collection in the cloud. Want to burn some tracks? Log in to iTunes from laptop or desktop, pull from cloud and burn. Sweet, I think. It will free up great amounts of memory.
    04-05-2010 10:09 PM
    It may free up great amounts of memory, but it will (undoubtedly) cost great amounts of money. (Check online storage service prices now!) Personally, I don't want to store everything in the cloud. I want local. The internet is down far too often to depend on keeping everything in the cloud. And if you don't mind storing everything off device with only occasional access to the larger collection, you can return to the days of the 8GB iPhone. Why would you?
    04-06-2010 07:01 AM
    Good point about pricing. To be honest, I have not looked into the pricing of cloud storage. I do, however think it would be quite novel to listen to anything in my collection at any time and from anywhere. If the trend is toward housing more and more data in the clouds to be pulled off at will, then I think that pricing will adjust and may actually be free in many cases. Apple acquired 'Lala' some time back, and they're also building that massive data center in NC. Many people speculate that they have massive cloud storage plans. We'll see. Here's an article link to the aquisition of 'Lala' :Your iTunes Collection Might Soon Live in the Cloud. There's another article called 'Hello iPad, Cloud 1, Cloud 2', that you can look up. Interesting stuff.
    Lala is actually a music streaming service I know, but in the article the writer points out that in it's previous incarnation it gave users the option to upload their entire collection into the cloud. Makes one think, "what if"?
    04-06-2010 12:02 PM
    Check out Orb. You can already stream your entire music collection.
    04-06-2010 01:14 PM
    Thanks, I am now.
    04-06-2010 01:51 PM
    Would the pricing be high for cloud storage?
    05-14-2010 03:19 PM
    Won't be long. Storage is cheap already and most people don't even have that much data to store.
    08-30-2010 03:35 PM
    the issue isn't really storage space, because Apple already has the media stored for itunes use. The real issue is bandwidth. With the current trend of carriers charging for bitrate, it alomst seems that we are trending backwards in the economic model for internet usage. If this holds true, it will be hard for Apple to win over its customers with the idea of streaming all the media they "own" instead of holding it locally considering they will have to pay a premium to their internet supplier for all the data they are transferring.
    09-01-2010 09:29 AM
    It may free up great amounts of memory, but it will (undoubtedly) cost great amounts of money. (Check online storage service prices now!) Personally, I don't want to store everything in the cloud. I want local. The internet is down far too often to depend on keeping everything in the cloud. And if you don't mind storing everything off device with only occasional access to the larger collection, you can return to the days of the 8GB iPhone. Why would you?
    I agree. Given the low and falling price of storage, and all other things equal, I would prefer to store my data locally.

That said, all other things are not equal. As we move to multiple Internet connected devices, we want our devices synchronized. The cloud satisfies that requirement.

Local storage and high bandwidth could also satisfy the requirement. However, while the cost of local storage is going down, after fifty years of decline, the cost of connectivity is going up and its availability is declining. While this situation is local to the US, it appears likely to get worse. We are losing the net neutrality battle and we are under-investing in infrastructure.
    09-01-2010 12:23 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD