I've got an iPhone. A buddy of mine just moved out of town and bought a Nano for himself, so he gave me his old 30gb iPod. I decided to go through his music and listen to what he had, and he had several podcasts that I found interesting. I was listening to one, and paused it, then came back later and went to find it. I accidentally chose the wrong file, but when I went back to the file I wanted, the iPod remembered where I was in the file and picked up where I left off. When I went to to the file I had clicked on accidentally, it, too had "saved my place" and picked up where I left off.

I find this to be an incredibly useful tool. I also find that my iPhone does NOT do this. Or does it? I listen to many podcasts, and the ones I want to listen to depend on my mood, or what I'm doing. So I may listen to half of one while walking the dog at night, pick a different one for the drive to work in the morning, and then want to listen to the one I had stopped listening to halfway through walking the dog when I drive home. This feature works with audiobooks - I stop listening to the audiobook, listen to something else, come back later and it's right where I left off. Is there a setting on the iPhone to allow this to happen with all files or is that just a feature on the regular iPod?
    12-02-2009 06:24 PM
    you're asking us something you could try to do yourself? wouldn't that be quicker?
    12-08-2009 03:34 PM
    Gee - I never thought of that. Why, oh why, haven't I tried this myself? Golly! How insightful and thoughtful of you. Let me try it now.

Oops! Wow, nope, it sure doesn't work. Let me scratch my head and wonder. What do I do now? Gosh!

Hey, I know, let me try to ask helpful people who may have encountered this before. See if maybe I can get some help! Yeah!

How about you? Are YOU a helpful person? I wonder.
    12-09-2009 04:00 PM
    If it didn't work when your tried it then you answered your own question
    12-09-2009 10:29 PM
    which iphone do you have? i have an iphone 3gs (3.1.2 & jailbroken)
    for both audio and video podcasts, it does resume where i left off at.
    try going to settings > ipod > start playing(video) and see if you checked "where left off"

i just tried unchecking it and i was unable to resume where i left off in video podcasts, but of course it still worked in audio podcasts

hope that helps you
    12-10-2009 07:36 PM
    Thanks for at least trying to help. I wasn't sure what the other poster's point was in chiming in. My settings are set for videos to start where left off, and now that I look and remember a little more closely, my experience with my friend's Ipod had been with podcasts. I just did a test now and podcasts pick up where they left off; songs, however, do not. Which makes sense - why would anyone want a song to pick up where you paused it? My question arises out of my downloading a podcast from a website, which I do not download through iTunes, and my iPod doesn't classify it as a "podcast." It just treats it like an hour long music mp3 file. So I try to come back to it, and I have to fast forward. It's no big deal, I was just wondering, and thank you so much for helping me see what I was missing.
    12-11-2009 05:27 PM
    hmm im not experiencing the same thing. my songs do resume where i paused it at...

maybe it's a time length limit. regularly, songs are less than 5 min so maybe your podcast is so long that the iphone cannot remember where you paused it.
    12-21-2009 12:18 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD