Why aren't my podcasts getting deleted from my PC?

alokeprasad

Feb 18, 2005
Visit site
I have a bunch of video podcasts of older episodes of an NPR program in iTunes, synced to my iPhone 3GS. The Podcast settings in iTunes is "Episodes to keep = All unplayed episodes", The settings in the Device's Podcast tab in Itunes is "Sync all unplayed episodes of all podcasts".

Now, I watch the episodes on my iPhone, and delete them from my iPhone as I get done watching each episode.

When I sync my iPhone, the pocasts that I watched and deleted on the device don't get deleted in iTunes or my PC. The blue dot next to them goes away but the files and entries remain in iTunes.

If I deleted the file(s) on the iPhone and synced, shouldn't they get deleted from iTunes as well?

Jeremy

Retired Moderator
Mar 27, 2005
www.iMore.com
No, when you watch them on your phone, do not delete them. When you sync your phone with iTunes they will be removed. If you delete them then sync they reappear on your device.

alokeprasad

Feb 18, 2005
Visit site
But it helps to keep track of what I have watched/heard if I delete them on the ohone as I get done. I have many many podcasts on my iPhone, haveing recently returnrd from an international trip.

By the way, is there a way to see a list of all podcasts (instead of them getting grouped by the show name) on the iPhone that I can sort by date, title or size or whatever?

alokeprasad

Feb 18, 2005
Visit site
No, when you watch them on your phone, do not delete them. When you sync your phone with iTunes they will be removed. If you delete them then sync they reappear on your device.

I tried what you suggested. I listened to 2 audio podcasts (MP3) on the iPhone, synced the device, and the entries are still there in iTunes (and the files are still there on my PC.

I hope this gets fixed somehow. Managing these things manually will be inconvenient.

Could this have to do with the fact that I have an Ipod Touch as well as an iPod sShuffle (even though they are not set up to sync podcasts.. only my iPhone is). Maybe iTunes thinks that I might need the files for use on my other devices?

Jeremy

Retired Moderator
Mar 27, 2005
www.iMore.com
Well they won't delete off of your computer automatically. You have to delete them if you want them gone. It is working normal.

alokeprasad

Feb 18, 2005
Visit site

Sorry, I musunderstood. By "When you sync your phone with iTunes they will be removed" you mean removed from the iPhone.

That's too bad. I want them removed from the PC and iTunes as well. Again, my solution to everything: make it a setting that we can control :)

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FMHPro