Is it possible to subscribe to podcasts with iPhone 3.0?
    06-18-2009 03:11 PM
    I recommend Mediafly (in the app store) for podcasts.
    06-18-2009 04:18 PM
    I think my question is similar to rich47's one this morning, so I'll just tack it on instead of adding a new thread.

I was never big on Podcasts, so it came as something of a surprise to me when I kind of accidentally started using Stitcher Radio and found that there was a lot out there that I'll actually listen to on a regular basis. Better than that, Stitcher downloads the new ones on the fly so I don't always have to connect to the computer to get new episodes.

Stitcher, unfortunately, skips a lot on Edge and has no way to mark things I don't want to hear just now as "Read."

I'd like to try the iPod section on the iPhone for my podcasts, but I don't know if it updates live. If I have to connect it to the computer to get the updates it's fairly useless. Does anyone here know?
    06-21-2009 09:20 AM
    I recommend Mediafly (in the app store) for podcasts.
    I just checked out Mediafly... looks like a non-starter for now:
    ****NOTE: This version is not compatible with iPhone 3.0 due to a bug introduced by Apple - A new version of mediafly will be available in the coming week(s) which supports iPhone 3.0 - Do not upgrade to 3.0 if you would like Mediafly to continue to operate - We understand if you are totally salivating over 3.0 and must upgrade the second it comes out and are trying our best to get a new version into you hands which will minimize your time without Mediafly. Thanks. The Mediafly Team ****

{initiate fanboy attack sequence}
    I like how they blame Apple for introducing a "bug" in iPhone 3.0 that makes their software incompatible. How long have Apple been saying that iPhone 3.0 was coming out? How long have they been distributing their betas to developers?

Anyone else remember back as far as the beginning of May when Apple announced that all new submissions had to be 3.0 compatible? That might have been a clue to start working on it. Naah, it's easier to blame Apple.

Maybe the issues that they're having could be solved by checking their code for instances where they've used hyphens where they should have used periods. If their warning is any indication, they seem to have a problem with that.
    {stand down fanboy attack sequence}

Sorry about that. I feel better now.
    Last edited by gary_gnu; 06-21-2009 at 09:35 AM.
    06-21-2009 09:27 AM
    I use RSS Player (RSS Player: Native iPhone Podcast Catcher)
    It requires you to use it's own built in media player, but it's similar to the iPod interface.
    The search feature does not list every podcast that is in iTunes, but it does allow you to manually enter a URL which is great for me. Many podcasts simply aren't listed in iTunes.

You can subscribe to podcasts. But they must be downloaded manually. Basically you fire up the app, it checks the podcasts for anything new. From there they can be added to your download queue. The podcasts download similar to iTunes. The app also remains running when the phone is locked.
    06-23-2009 12:43 PM
    i was wondering about this too. i used a program called podcaster on my bold, and for now have suscribed to the podcasts on itunes, and just synch up daily to get them on the iphone. this would sure make it all easier.
    06-27-2009 04:00 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD