Copying DVD Library

cjvitek

Jul 5, 2008
Visit site
I am just starting to look into copying some (or all) of my DVD's to my computer using Nero Recode 2. I was able to get the test one working (Iron Man), but I have some quick questions.

1) What settings would people recommend when using Nero Recode 2 to get the best quality (while still not having a 3 GB file! I created a H.264 Nero Digital file that was about 1.5GB for the Iron Man movie.

2) When using Nero Recode, is there any way to automatically import or fill the meta data (including movie art)? When using it, it simply created a blank movie, no information about it at all.

3) Within iTunes when I right clicked on the file, it had an option "create a version for the iPhone". What does this mean? I choose it, and it created a smaller version of the same movie. Should I use this to create versions to upload to the iPhone? What information is lost?

Any help is appreciated - thanks!

Chris

Rene Ritchie

Old Man Ritchie
Jan 12, 2007
www.about.me
1) Use Handbrake. It's free and that's what it was designed for. I've done hundreds of my own DVDs with it and the results were great.

2) I did similar to what I've heard Andy Ihnatko describe. I ripped everything to Apple TV quality, and then when I want an iPhone version, I do re-encodes for just those movies (often delete when I'm done).

Handbrake supports H.264 with presets for Apple TV, iPhone, iTunes, etc. Stereo, 5.1, or combined sound.

cjvitek

Jul 5, 2008
Visit site
I don't think I need to do Apple TV quality - I wouldn't be using these for anything other than putting them on the iPhone.

Does Handbrake automatically copy the metadata?

I am trying it now. I will be curious how it compares to Nero, since Nero Digital AVS is (from what I hear) one of the best formats.

Chris

Rene Ritchie

Old Man Ritchie
Jan 12, 2007
www.about.me
Nothing I know of automatically *copies* the metadata, since DVDs don't provide easy metadata to copy (likely on purpose -- they don't believe in "fair use").

However, you can use stuff like Boxee or MetaX to scan Amazon for the data.

Standard formats, IMHO, work best because you're not locked into any workflow or output. Handbrake will do most every standard format, provides handy presets for devices like IPhone, PS3, etc.

I'd recommend MP4 H.264 for everything going forward, however.

hotrod#AC

Jan 31, 2006
Visit site
I've had good luck with Handbrake. I mainly only use Nero Recode to compress my DVD9 movies to DVD5 for backing up onto DVD5 media. And Recode is solid at that.

cjvitek

Jul 5, 2008
Visit site
Thanks for the tips. I have to figure out what couple of movies I want to bring on the plane with me this weekend.