And here's a little something esoteric that works for so many things. If you are a) a theologian or theology student, b) really into Bernstein, c) or just have a biblical sense of humor. I've been using it as my morning alarm (God said "let there be light!":
    bcuz007 likes this.
    06-21-2009 10:39 AM
    Yeah, just copy the song to an aac format and then use the freeware MakeiPhoneRingtone to make a free ringtone out of it.
    You don't need to use freeware either. Everything can be done in itunes.
    bcuz007 likes this.
    06-21-2009 12:31 PM
    Anybody got some jadakiss, eminem, kanye?
    bcuz007 likes this.
    06-21-2009 12:38 PM
    Ok, the iPhone 3G is a pretty damned nice phone when you buy it, but let's face it, the ringtone selection SUCKS. You can always buy ringtone capable songs from iTunes and pay an extra $.99 to snip a 30 second ringtone out of it, but what if you want a movie theme song, a cartoon show theme song from your years as a kid, or some funky sound effects you found on the web?

Here's what you do if you have a Windows machine, or have a 10.4.11 (Tiger) Mac. (If you want to use a full song that isn't 45 seconds or less, you need to find software to crop the section you want. Any Mac can use GarageBand for this, and I am sure there are free Windows solutions as well. To ease the pain of this step, I just download pre-made ringtones in MP3 format and go from there.)

1. Find a ringtone. I personally get all mine from CrackBerry.com or TuneUsIn.com because they are already in short ringtone format and I don't have to edit or crop them (it has to be 45 seconds or less).

2. Download the ringtone to your desktop

3. Open iTunes and go to your Preferences (might be called Settings on Windows) > Advanced Tab > Importing sub-tab > Find where it says "Import Using" and set it to AAC encoder.

4. On a Mac, double click it and it will automatically add to your iTunes library and start playing. On a PC, it will most likely open WMP automatically, so just drag it to your iTunes library.

5. Find the rintone you just dragged to your iTunes library and right click it, then select "Convert to AAC."

6. It will create a duplicate of the ringtone in AAC format and should start playing it automatically.

7. Drag the file to your desktop. (Since the new AAC format ringtone starts playing automatically, it will have a speaker next to it, which makes it easy to determine which file you need to drag)

8. Delete the two copies of the ringtone from your general Music list (you don't have to, but I don't think you want ringtones randomly playing next time you do a song shuffle...)

9. See that ringtone you just dragged to your desktop? It should be "songname.m4a." Now, simply change the file extension to .m4r. You can leave the file name alone, or you can make it whatever you want, the important thing is that you change the extension to .m4r.

10. On a Mac, double click it and it will auto add to your Ringtones list in iTunes. On a PC, you may have to manually drag it to the list.

You're done. You now have custom ringtones on your iPhone for free, and they can be whatever sounds you can find... as long as they are shorter than 45 seconds.

I know it looks like a bunch of steps, but it isn't. The whole process takes maybe 30 seconds after you do it once or twice.
    For those that keep posting freeware and software to make ringtones, try the above. NO freeware. No software. All you need is itunes. Easy peasy.
    cravnair and beeray like this.
    06-21-2009 12:43 PM
    The first 4 steps of CrazEToons method (it's not his method, but was the first place I found it was written here) can be changed to just take music you already have, clip it and then make your ringtone from your own music. You don't need to search for ringtones on web.
    06-21-2009 01:04 PM
    I use audiko.net to get my ringtones.
    My current fave is the Sex & The City theme song.
    06-21-2009 01:08 PM
    You don't need to use freeware either. Everything can be done in itunes.
    Yeah, I know. But that freeware program automatically cuts it down to the right size and adds it to your ringtone section in iTunes for you.
    06-21-2009 02:11 PM
    Can you take your own music and do that? Because using itunes, you can take your own music, set it to the length required for a ringtone and then convert it to an AAC.
    06-21-2009 02:37 PM
    Yeah you can. That program has to have an aac file as the input file. But it works.
    06-21-2009 04:30 PM
    there is a thread for that. this thread is for sharing the ringtones. Please read the second post on this thread. THAT is where you will find your answers.
    Last edited by chobbs1; 06-21-2009 at 04:39 PM.
    06-21-2009 04:37 PM
    Looking for and Indie ringtone can anyone help?
    06-23-2009 12:48 AM
    I have CNN's In the Situation Room. If anyone wants it let me know. I love that beat.
    06-23-2009 01:25 AM
    For those video game dorks like me out there.

The codec ring from the Metal Gear Solid series.
    bcuz007 likes this.
    06-23-2009 02:26 PM
    trying to upload some now
    bcuz007 likes this.
    06-23-2009 03:15 PM
    If at first you don't succeed LOL

Sons of anarchy opening tune
    Song from eurotrip
    Song from lost boys
    Song from Lock up with stallone
    Song from Rocky 1v
    Theme from sopranos
    An old favourite
    Song from bullit proof monk
    cravnair likes this.
    06-23-2009 03:33 PM
    Some chart hits and various tunes, enjoy.
    bcuz007 likes this.
    06-23-2009 04:03 PM
    A few from the bottom of my stack....
    bcuz007 and TiscaN like this.
    06-23-2009 04:12 PM
    How exactly do you upload these to my iphone and then apply them? any help would be appreciated~chris
    bcuz007 likes this.
    06-23-2009 04:24 PM
    @clg82

Click on the file, open it follow it through to itunes (which you have open) attach your iphone and drag the songs from ringtones (were they should have landed, if your set up right) to your iphone.
    bcuz007 likes this.
    06-23-2009 04:34 PM
    @clg82

Click on the file, open it follow it through to itunes (which you have open) attach your iphone and drag the songs from ringtones (were they should have landed, if your set up right) to your iphone.
    Cool thanks man, so just drag the file from where I save it to, to the ringtones folder of my itunes correct?
    Last edited by clg82; 06-23-2009 at 05:29 PM.
    bcuz007 likes this.
    06-23-2009 04:36 PM
    @clg82

no ace; on the left hand side in itunes under library there will be a list one should say ringtones. Drag from there. If there is no listing go to EDIT through to preferanses and tick on Ringtones to show it under library...
    bcuz007 likes this.
    06-23-2009 04:44 PM
    This thread is bad A$$ everyone needs to post more ringtones so i can put them on my iphone, thanks to all that posted so far......MORE MORE MORE!!!
    bcuz007 likes this.
    06-23-2009 08:19 PM
    Here's my ringtone, has been for a few years. It's short, so it repeats, the way it should. If you're an MGS fan, you'll recognize this immediately. And when it rings in a room, you can always tell the fellow fans by sound of their snapping necks to see where the sound is coming from.

I have the (!) sound as well, if anyone's interested. Used to be my text alert sound...
    I'd really like to get the (!) sound from Metal Gear Solid if someone could give me a link to download it i'd really appreciate it. thanks in advance!
    bcuz007 likes this.
    06-24-2009 04:13 AM
    good call on the MGS sound, but dont think you can set as sms/email tone unless jailbroken.

apple are a bit retarded on that one by not allowing you to change. bad enough they dont let you make ringtones for free or songs you already own.

(apart from the workaround obviously)
    bcuz007 likes this.
    06-24-2009 05:18 AM
    good call on the MGS sound, but dont think you can set as sms/email tone unless jailbroken.

apple are a bit retarded on that one by not allowing you to change. bad enough they dont let you make ringtones for free or songs you already own.

(apart from the workaround obviously)
    I always wondered why they wouldn't let you change the tone that alerts you when you have a new email, or text. Besides the lame ones they already have loaded
    06-24-2009 09:09 AM
178 ... 23456 ...
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD