Hey ARKit developers or otherwise, Intro yourselves!

pkcable

Q&A Team Leader, VR Expert
Jun 16, 2009
Visit site
Folks,

I'm really excited about ARKit and AR/VR coming to Mac. My 2016 iMac 5K should be able to handle VR/AR with an external graphics card. So who all is developing VR/AR for Mac? Please introduce yourself to our community!

Last edited:

anony_mouse

Jul 21, 2014
Visit site
Is anything happening with AR? I remember trying it once in 2010 on my first smart phone. Seems to have been more or less dead since then with no new ideas or applications (meaning areas of use, not programs you download and install). I suppose you could call Pokemon Go "AR" but that seems to have run its course now.

pkcable

Jun 16, 2009
Visit site
Is anything happening with AR? I remember trying it once in 2010 on my first smart phone. Seems to have been more or less dead since then with no new ideas or applications (meaning areas of use, not programs you download and install). I suppose you could call Pokemon Go "AR" but that seems to have run its course now.

WELL now that Apple is interested, it's got a MUCH better shot! NFC and pay by phone wasn't really a thing until Apple "invented" it several years after it was on Android etc. ;)

anony_mouse

Jul 21, 2014
Visit site
WELL now that Apple is interested, it's got a MUCH better shot! NFC and pay by phone wasn't really a thing until Apple "invented" it several years after it was on Android etc. ;)

I have to disagree with this. NFC was used in many countries for many years, long before Apple got involved. More than a decade before in many cases. And Apple Pay hardly seems to be a resounding success.

Apple have been involved with AR for a while now. What has happened?

pkcable

Jun 16, 2009
Visit site
I have to disagree with this. NFC was used in many countries for many years, long before Apple got involved. More than a decade before in many cases. And Apple Pay hardly seems to be a resounding success.

Apple have been involved with AR for a while now. What has happened?

I was sorta joking, BUT in my opinion what Apple does with there phones EVEN if its well after others, DOES still seem to greatly influence the market. Notched phones being the latest example. Although you MAY be correct in your statements. :)

Well it's still in beta and probably should have been released by now, so again perhaps you are right? More than anything else I'm trying to spark a discussion on this topic as it is of interest to me!

anony_mouse

Jul 21, 2014
Visit site
I was sorta joking, BUT in my opinion what Apple does with there phones EVEN if its well after others, DOES still seem to greatly influence the market. Notched phones being the latest example. Although you MAY be correct in your statements. :)

Well it's still in beta and probably should have been released by now, so again perhaps you are right? More than anything else I'm trying to spark a discussion on this topic as it is of interest to me!

Happy to discuss. :) I am personally sceptical about AR because I didn't see any very interesting mass market applications for it yet, because I don't think that a smart phone is a good device for anything but the simplest AR applications, and because AR has been around for a decade or more without getting much interest.

The only successful AR application so far is Pokemon Go. That was quite a clever idea, and similar games may appear, but I suspect they will all end up being pretty similar and returns will quickly diminish.

A maps or guidebook application could be enhanced with a feature where you point your phone at something(s) and get told what it is, or you get help with navigation. This is not a new idea though, I used a similar app in around 2010 - but only a few times because in reality it was not very useful.

There are probably some niche applications for AR, maybe even on a phone, but to do AR properly, you really need something like Google Glass. You will remember how that turned out. There may also be some specific applications such as a car windscreen that warns of dangers ahead, but they are not phone based.

But maybe AR developers will prove me wrong!

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
smitty22d2