Champion
May 1, 2012
Visit site
Last edited:

krisguy

VR Expert
Sep 18, 2009
Visit site
It can be done but the major limitation as of now is hardware. Running VR on Mac requires as external GPU. For more information go here:

https://www.imore.com/how-set-your-mac-external-gpu

https://www.imore.com/vr-mac-first-...ro-egpu-and-htc-vive-make-dynamite-experience

Keep in mind this is not yet officially supported by Apple. We are expecting that to change at some point though.

This is why I still wish that Apple had a Pro box of some sort. It would be way easier than trying to get an external box to slap a RX 580 into and then messing with the drivers. High Sierra makes it a bit easier, but still...

pkcable

Q&A Team Leader, VR Expert
Jun 16, 2009
Visit site
The very top iMac 27inch 5k has the right card, and so does the expensive iMac Pro (that 4999.00 model). Also the top of the line 5K cost 2300, BUT it has the required hardware.

Rob Phillips

iPhone X & Apple TV Champion, Moderator
Champion
May 1, 2012
Visit site
The very top iMac 27inch 5k has the right card, and so does the expensive iMac Pro (that 4999.00 model). Also the top of the line 5K cost 2300, BUT it has the required hardware.

Maybe I should buy two iMac Pros so my wife and I can play together.

richiegore

Mar 23, 2018
Visit site
Cool thanks for all the info guys, it's early days yet I suppose. Maybe we will see some of the intel chips with Rx Vega fused on, that should be more than sufficient for vr i think.

badelhas

Dec 29, 2015
Visit site
I am very eager to see Apple get in the train of VR and AR. Because they are so big and have so many customers they will certainly give a big push to the technology, don't you agree?
Cheers

Rob Phillips

Champion
May 1, 2012
Visit site
I am very eager to see Apple get in the train of VR and AR. Because they are so big and have so many customers they will certainly give a big push to the technology, don't you agree?
Cheers

I think so. My only concern is, while Apple is all in on AR, they have so far expressed little interest in VR.

Rob Phillips

Champion
May 1, 2012
Visit site
My mistake, than. It's a pity, though, they could shake things up...

Apple can definitely disrupt things when and if they choose. They have a massive user base and more money than anyone. They’re just all about AR right now. Shoddy rumors suggest Apple is working on a Google Glass type of device.

badelhas

Dec 29, 2015
Visit site
Apple can definitely disrupt things when and if they choose. They have a massive user base and more money than anyone. They’re just all about AR right now. Shoddy rumors suggest Apple is working on a Google Glass type of device.
It's a start, at least... But yeah, they don't tend to be on the Verge of new tech since iPhone 1 to be honest...

Rob Phillips

Champion
May 1, 2012
Visit site
It's a start, at least... But yeah, they don't tend to be on the Verge of new tech since iPhone 1 to be honest...

Not at all. Apple tends to be more interested in making existing technology work better than inventing new technology. I think a big part of their innovation mojo died with Steve Jobs.

badelhas

Dec 29, 2015
Visit site
Not at all. Apple tends to be more interested in making existing technology work better than inventing new technology. I think a big part of their innovation mojo died with Steve Jobs.

Exactly. But even if they dont invent anything new, if they just use current VR technology, it would be a big help to the VR technology as a whole. We need more developers to get on the VR train, we lack content.

Rob Phillips

Champion
May 1, 2012
Visit site
Exactly. But even if they dont invent anything new, if they just use current VR technology, it would be a big help to the VR technology as a whole. We need more developers to get on the VR train, we lack content.

I agree wholeheartedly. The technology is readily available and Apple is really good at hardware. Seems like a match made in heaven to me! Apple has the ability to disrupt and push things forward as well.

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
smitty22d2