Best VR equipment for high school classroom

Robin Cain

Mar 26, 2018
Visit site
Hello, I am a high school educator from Columbus Indiana. I teach a class titled 3D Visualization and Animation. Teaching lots of different software 3ds Max, tons of Adobe products, Unity 3D. I am looking for advice on buying VR equipment to add to my curriculum. To this point, I have been using Google cardboard with older iphones but I have been given about $4K to spend on VR equipment. I would like to spend the money wisely hoping for advice and suggestions.
Thanks, Robin Cain
Columbus North High School
Columbus, Indiana

Last edited by a moderator:

pkcable

Q&A Team Leader, VR Expert
Jun 16, 2009
Visit site
Someone woke me up! ;) There are a couple ways to go here. You COULD stick with the cardboard and just buy better ones such as the MergeVR, which costs 50 to 100 each, but its been on sale on Amazon for a while for 35. Then you could have the students use their own phones, Android AND Apple phones work in it and the Merge is particularly Apple friendly. You could also buy a couple mid range (200 dollar) Android phones to have and use for that rare student that doesn't have a phone. Ok next you COULD go for Oculus Rift or HTC Vive. Those cost around 600-800 each so you'd only be able to get a couple. You MAY also need a better PC, OR an upgraded graphics card in your PC (which probably ARE good ones based on the fact that you are 3D modeling). I would think at 4000, you could afford at least 2 Oculus Rifts or HTC Vives, MAYBE 3. Ok last option, and this will require you to wait. FaceBook and Oculus (FaceBook owns Oculus) are working on a stand-alone VR headset, that will cost around 200 each and will be on par with Samsung's GearVR and/or Googles Daydream View. You would not need any PCs or phones. I feel this is the best option, BUT it's not quite out yet. It's expected soon....

https://forums.imore.com/e?link=htt...3A%2F%2Fwww.oculus.com%2Fgo%2F&token=Vp84bRj4

krisguy

VR Expert
Sep 18, 2009
Visit site
If you want something to use in an educational environment that is relatively cheap, Oculus Go would be my recommended choice. The Oculus team does have an educational sales department with sales engineers that would be willing to work with you, even for grant writing if you wanted to order quantity.

I would try to contact Oculus Business (https://www.oculusforbusiness.com) and they would get you to someone for education.

Rob Phillips

iPhone X & Apple TV Champion, Moderator
Champion
May 1, 2012
Visit site
As @pkcable and @krisguy said, Oculus Go might just be a great option for you. Supply chain rumors point to an early May release and most are guessing that it will launch during Facebook’s F8 conference taking place May 1-2.

krisguy

VR Expert
Sep 18, 2009
Visit site
At the retail price point, you can make your money go a long way with Oculus Go. It's the same specs and software/OS as Gear VR, but you don't need the high end Samsung to go with it.

Also, I have a Gear VR I'm willing to sell. *wink*

Robin Cain

Mar 26, 2018
Visit site
Thanks to everyone for the great advice and suggestions. The computers in my lab can run Oculus and HTC Vine. I will take a long look at Oculus Go. I could get into more than one platform.
Sorry to not respond sooner. The school blocks this forum so I have to respond from home.
Thanks for your help.
Robin

badelhas

Dec 29, 2015
Visit site
Owning the Vive I would recommend it but I know it can be expensive...but its the ultimate experience at the moment ;)

Cheers

Greenfire999

Apr 2, 2018
Visit site
I can easily narrow it down to either the Oculus or VIVE since other competitors aren't up to par yet.

For my school, our research is done on the Oculus. However, the reason we chose it was because we didn't have the funds to get anything better. Haven't seen any issues with it. If you want more accurate motion detection while standing up, you will have to purchase another tracking camera. Also, if you aren't into cable management, there might be wires all over the place since the cameras are connected through USB.

The VIVE is a bit more expensive, but it comes with many different convenient features. Many wireless features and upcoming receivers will make the experience a lot more enjoyable. I've heard rumors of better latency and tracking on the VIVE, but I haven't witnessed it myself.

pkcable

Q&A Team Leader, VR Expert
Jun 16, 2009
Visit site
One thing to consider if you're getting a headset that is going to be used by several students is going to be replacement facepads or disposable facepads. I know sometimes kids aren't very hygienic and you would want to keep the equipment nice and clean for each who used it. I saw these on amazon and thought they were a good Idea. (https://www.amazon.com/Hyperkin-Uni...ag=hawk-future-20&ascsubtag=UUimUvbUpU3056726)

Yea that product looks PERFECT for his needs! OR go to the local drug store, etc. for some anti microbial wipes!

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
smitty22d2