Folks,

Ok OK, it's Android based, BUT hear me out. Maybe of us like and use multiple platforms. Also the Oculus Go VR will be quality VR (like the midrange units from Samsung & Google, the GearVR and Daydream View), and MUCH better than cardboard. And the price is expected to be around 200, so much more affordable than an HTC Vive or Oculus Rift, which besides being more also require a beefy (read expensive) PC. And although the GearVR and Daydream View cost less than 200, THEY require expensive cell phones that the typical iOS fan does not own.

With an Oculus Go, we can still use our beloved iPhone, AND have VR whenever we want. And of a MUCH better quality then a Google Cardboard. So who's with me and ready to buy an Oculus Go when they release it?
    03-12-2018 12:59 PM
    I am curious to know how the Oculus Go VR compares with the Merge headset?
    pkcable likes this.
    03-14-2018 08:59 AM
    I am curious to know how the Oculus Go VR compares with the Merge headset?
    Oculus Go is designed to be a standalone headset, and does NOT require a phone. This is accomplished by it having components that allow it to run Android, it's sorta like have an Android phone inside, BUT you can't remove it or use it like a traditional phone. The Merge VR, which is google cardboard compatible requires a phone (and iPhones work great in it). HOWEVER the Oculus is supposed to be on par with GearVR and Google Daydream, which are a bit better than Cardboard. Merge is also MUCH cheaper, retailing for around 50 (Amazon has the purple one on sale for 35). Oculus Go will retail for around 200. HOWEVER you must consider the Merge requires a 500+ dollar phone, and the Oculus Go does not. I would say IF you are an iPhone enthusiast, AND new to VR the Merge might be best.
    Annie_8plus likes this.
    03-14-2018 09:55 AM
    Oculus Go is designed to be a standalone headset, and does NOT require a phone. This is accomplished by it having components that allow it to run Android, it's sorta like have an Android phone inside, BUT you can't remove it or use it like a traditional phone. The Merge VR, which is google cardboard compatible requires a phone (and iPhones work great in it). HOWEVER the Oculus is supposed to be on par with GearVR and Google Daydream, which are a bit better than Cardboard. Merge is also MUCH cheaper, retailing for around 50 (Amazon has the purple one on sale for 35). Oculus Go will retail for around 200. HOWEVER you must consider the Merge requires a 500+ dollar phone, and the Oculus Go does not. I would say IF you are an iPhone enthusiast, AND new to VR the Merge might be best.
    Thank you for clarifying! I will go with your advice! I think, at this point, the Merge is better suited for me... but the Oculus Go does sound fantastic!
    pkcable likes this.
    03-14-2018 10:03 AM
    Oculus Go is using the same setup as Gear VR. Same software, same SDK. Those of us that are Samsung users that love Gear VR will already have experience with this one. I'm just curious how Oculus or even if Oculus is going to allow your phone to pair with it for notifications like Gear VR does now.
    03-16-2018 12:44 PM
    Oculus Go is using the same setup as Gear VR. Same software, same SDK. Those of us that are Samsung users that love Gear VR will already have experience with this one. I'm just curious how Oculus or even if Oculus is going to allow your phone to pair with it for notifications like Gear VR does now.
    Yes if you already own a GearVR, then you probably don’t need a Go unless you rare nuts like me. . But it’s perfect for those new to VR with a phone that doesn’t support GearVR or Daydream. You get a premium expierence over cardboard.
    03-21-2018 02:27 PM
    I’ve been reading up on the Oculus Go and I love the idea of it. If it delivers a better VR experience than my Merge I’m all for it. $200 isn’t bad, even if it’s Android.
    03-21-2018 10:12 PM
    Whats the battery life? and is it removable or built in?
    03-23-2018 10:01 AM
    Since I read about oculus go is all I can think about. They still haven’t announced a release date, sadly. I can’t wait
    03-23-2018 04:40 PM
    Whats the battery life? and is it removable or built in?
    Hard to say at this point. We’re still waiting for a release date. According to Oculus it’s shipping “early 2018” so time is running up!
    03-24-2018 06:53 AM
    I am curious but that about it since I own the HTC Vive, which I believe to be a real complete VR solution. Looking forward for a iMore review about it, though...
    Cheers
    03-25-2018 04:43 AM
    I am curious but that about it since I own the HTC Vive, which I believe to be a real complete VR solution. Looking forward for a iMore review about it, though...
    Cheers
    Me too. I’m going to need an in-depth review before making a buying decision. Since Oculus was first to the consumer VR game I’m expecting a nice quality product.
    03-25-2018 06:15 AM
    Cheers
    Right now VR/AR on Mac is beta, and often you need additional equipment, an external video card namely. HOWEVER @Russell Holly one of our bloggers DID to a writeup about it.....

https://www.imore.com/vr

@Serenity Caldwell also did a piece about it....

https://www.imore.com/vr-mac-first-i...ite-experience
    03-27-2018 10:41 AM
    Right now VR/AR on Mac is beta, and often you need additional equipment, an external video card namely. HOWEVER @Russell Holly one of our bloggers DID to a writeup about it.....

https://www.imore.com/vr

@Serenity Caldwell also did a piece about it....

https://www.imore.com/vr-mac-first-i...ite-experience
    Thanks, I'll check it them out. Cheers
    03-27-2018 01:53 PM
    Yeah, battery life is a deal breaker. I would say about 4-5 hours per session.
    04-01-2018 08:13 PM
    Yeah, battery life is a deal breaker. I would say about 4-5 hours per session.
    I don’t think I could handle any longer than that without losing my lunch. 🤪
    04-02-2018 08:59 PM
    I don’t think I could handle any longer than that without losing my lunch. 🤪
    Me either. 2h is a decent time to be in VR, more than that is exhausting, in my case.
    04-02-2018 09:01 PM
    VR/AR is definitely a battery killer!
    Rob Phillips likes this.
    04-05-2018 03:30 PM
    VR/AR is definitely a battery killer!
    For sure. My iPhone X is always toasty when I use it for VR. I turn the brightness all the way up too.
    04-05-2018 04:18 PM
    I think it looks pretty cool but I wish it had the option of connection to the Mac/pc. I think inside out tracking would really open up the tethered be market.
    04-08-2018 07:31 AM
    The Microsoft ones are interesting as. They have inside out tracking but they aren't platform agnostic and I don't they will be properly supported. Also the ergonomics/quality doesn't seem to be quite at oculus levels...
    04-08-2018 07:33 AM
    The Microsoft ones are interesting as. They have inside out tracking but they aren't platform agnostic and I don't they will be properly supported. Also the ergonomics/quality doesn't seem to be quite at oculus levels...
    But there are many different brands manufacturing different models. Are they all uncomfortable?
    04-08-2018 08:57 AM
    They all seem to be based on the same Microsoft development kit and seem to prioritise quick usage over long term comfort and absolute light isolation etc. They're good, but not great like a rift. I can really get behind the quick usage priority but I think k they needed another 6 months of work. Hopefully they sell well enough the justify 2nd generation headsets.
    04-08-2018 09:26 AM
    I'll put it this way, I'm open to anything that is not tethered, that said the only reason I'm excited about the Go-VR is that I would expect other companies to follow Oculus and I foresee it being affordable for everyone in the the not too distant future, barring cheap knock offs I hope.
    04-10-2018 12:34 AM
    I'll put it this way, I'm open to anything that is not tethered, that said the only reason I'm excited about the Go-VR is that I would expect other companies to follow Oculus and I foresee it being affordable for everyone in the the not too distant future, barring cheap knock offs I hope.
    I hope Apple releases a kit for a full room VR experience
    04-10-2018 12:50 AM
33 12