Grandfathered UDP Questions

ItnStln

Apr 3, 2010
Visit site
I might do an assumption of liability from someone who has the older pre-2011 $29.99 grandfathered UDP which is now $49.99.
  • Is the data speed still throttled?
  • Is the data limit still unlimited or is Verizon Wireless terminating lines with high usage?
  • How much data is safe to use before Verizon Wireless terminates the line?
  • Is the $30 mobile hotspot feature still available? If so are there any restrictions?
  • Is Verizon Wireless throttling video streams to 720p like on the newer unlimited plans? If so is this something that can be bypassed with a VPN?
  • Are there any 2 year upgrades still available or is Verizon Wireless like at&t in that all upgrades are on device payment plans?

Last edited:

Quis89

Ambassador
Feb 6, 2012
Visit site
Is the data speed still throttled?

Data is prioritized after 22 GB. I've never experienced this prioritization and if I did, it didn't affect my streaming quality or have any noticeable affects.

Is the data limit still unlimited or is Verizon Wireless terminating lines with high usage?
To my knowledge this isn't happening. My son has consistently used over 80 GB for the last few months and i've heard nothing.

How much data is safe to use before Verizon Wireless terminates the line?
I haven't seen a number defined or a policy that says they do this.

Is the $30 mobile hotspot feature still available? If so are there any restrictions?
15 GB of free hotspot is included in their current unlimited plan unless something has changed. I've got 15 GB free high speed hot spot and after that it slows down to 3G speeds.

Is Verizon Wireless throttling video streams to 720p like on the newer unlimited plans? If so is this something that can be bypassed with a VPN?
I believe they now have two plans. One with lower quality video streams and one with higher.

Are there any 2 year upgrades still available or is Verizon Wireless like at&t in that all upgrades are on device payment plans?
Payment plans.

ItnStln

Apr 3, 2010
Visit site
Data is prioritized after 22 GB. I've never experienced this prioritization and if I did, it didn't affect my streaming quality or have any noticeable affects.

To my knowledge this isn't happening. My son has consistently used over 80 GB for the last few months and i've heard nothing.

I haven't seen a number defined or a policy that says they do this.

15 GB of free hotspot is included in their current unlimited plan unless something has changed. I've got 15 GB free high speed hot spot and after that it slows down to 3G speeds.

I believe they now have two plans. One with lower quality video streams and one with higher.

Payment plans.

Are you referencing the grandfathered $29.99 now $49.99 pre-2011 UDP or one of their 2017 plans? I know the 2017 plans are deprioritized but the older pre-2011 had no throttling or deprioritizing unless something changed in the three years since I changed carriers. Unfortunately there are too many changes to even the plans that were out last year for me to remember.

Almeuit

Trusted Member
Apr 14, 2014
Visit site
The old 2011 plans technically don't have a throttle but if you use a high amount of usage they will disconnect you. To me those plans aren't worth it since they can snatch them at any time.

ItnStln

Apr 3, 2010
Visit site
The old 2011 plans technically don't have a throttle but if you use a high amount of usage they will disconnect you. To me those plans aren't worth it since they can snatch them at any time.
Thanks! Do you know what Verizon is considering "a high amount of usage?" I'm just wondering if they've come out and said.

Almeuit

Trusted Member
Apr 14, 2014
Visit site
Thanks! Do you know what Verizon is considering "a high amount of usage?" I'm just wondering if they've come out and said.

Nothing has been said in stone from Verizon but from what Reddit gathers anything around 150-200 GB seems to be the max. Others who used to use a ton got the "You use too much either move to a new plan or we will terminate you" letters.

Closingracer

Sep 24, 2014
Visit site
I might do an assumption of liability from someone who has the older pre-2011 $29.99 grandfathered UDP which is now $49.99.
  • Is the data speed still throttled?
  • Is the data limit still unlimited or is Verizon Wireless terminating lines with high usage?
  • How much data is safe to use before Verizon Wireless terminates the line?
  • Is the $30 mobile hotspot feature still available? If so are there any restrictions?
  • Is Verizon Wireless throttling video streams to 720p like on the newer unlimited plans? If so is this something that can be bypassed with a VPN?
  • Are there any 2 year upgrades still available or is Verizon Wireless like at&t in that all upgrades are on device payment plans?

Just putting in my 2 cents into this. I have the Prepaid Unlimited which is similar to the basic unlimited plan and I used 32GB this month and never noticed any throttling at all honestly for me it isn't worth all this work to get one of these plans just to be kicked off at who knows when. Save the time and energy and just get the new beyond unlimited plan which is basically the same thing,

ItnStln

Apr 3, 2010
Visit site
Just putting in my 2 cents into this. I have the Prepaid Unlimited which is similar to the basic unlimited plan and I used 32GB this month and never noticed any throttling at all honestly for me it isn't worth all this work to get one of these plans just to be kicked off at who knows when. Save the time and energy and just get the new beyond unlimited plan which is basically the same thing,

But the problem with the new plans are they don't have an unlimited hotspot feature like the pre-2011 UDP.

Almeuit

Trusted Member
Apr 14, 2014
Visit site

Definitely will depend on location here. Some on the "Go" unlimited users have no issues wheras others report crap speeds during the day due to congestion.

While 600 kbps may be fine for you on hotspot I prefer 15 GB of LTE before I am put to that. I have home WiFi (Gbps internet at home) so I am fine in that aspect but the times I do use hotspot it is nice to get actual LTE speeds... especially since I don't use 15 GB often on the hotspot.

ItnStln

Apr 3, 2010
Visit site
Definitely will depend on location here. Some on the "Go" unlimited users have no issues wheras others report crap speeds during the day due to congestion.

While 600 kbps may be fine for you on hotspot I prefer 15 GB of LTE before I am put to that. I have home WiFi (Gbps internet at home) so I am fine in that aspect but the times I do use hotspot it is nice to get actual LTE speeds... especially since I don't use 15 GB often on the hotspot.
I rarely use a hotspot, but when I do I use more than 15GB.

Closingracer

Sep 24, 2014
Visit site

I live in NYC which is why I originally was on the Verizon unlimited plan ( what is now beyond unlimited). I would go over 22gb and I noticed I never got throttled. After realizing this I decided to just go to prepaid since I bought my phone in full. Now I'm spending $82 with taxes

Almeuit

Trusted Member
Apr 14, 2014
Visit site
I live in NYC which is why I originally was on the Verizon unlimited plan ( what is now beyond unlimited). I would go over 22gb and I noticed I never got throttled. After realizing this I decided to just go to prepaid since I bought my phone in full. Now I'm spending $82 with taxes
Definitely not bad for a single line. I have the February Unlimited plan .. basically Beyond Unlimited at the cheaper rate. My line costs me 33 bucks a month (taxes and all) for all the benefits of Beyond Unlimited.

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
smitty22d2