Verizon Hotspot Limit -- Enforcement to begin on Sept. 6th

Almeuit

Trusted Member
Apr 14, 2014
Visit site
Well it wasn't recording it all this time since the February Unlimited plans but it looks like they have fixed whatever it was so now it will be enforced at the 15 GB threshold then hard throttle the hotspot down. This will begin on 9/6.

Attachments

• vzw_hotspot_enforce.png
    vzw_hotspot_enforce.png
    21.2 KB · Views: 23

nikkisharif

Ambassador
Jun 2, 2011
Visit site
Re: Verizon Hotspot Limit -- Enforcement to being on Sept. 6th

Well it wasn't recording it all this time since the February Unlimited plans but it looks like they have fixed whatever it was so now it will be enforced at the 15 GB threshold then hard throttle the hotspot down. This will begin on 9/6.

I can’t see your screenshot but we shall see! I’ve noticed some slower speeds a few times but nothing too bad.

Almeuit

Trusted Member
Apr 14, 2014
Visit site

I can’t see your screenshot but we shall see! I’ve noticed some slower speeds a few times but nothing too bad.

Well this is for hotspot only. Since the start of unlimited people basically had unlimited hotspot. It never counted against the hard cap. They're basically just fixing that glitch and making it count now.

Ledsteplin

Ambassador
Oct 2, 2013
Visit site

Well this is for hotspot only. Since the start of unlimited people basically had unlimited hotspot. It never counted against the hard cap. They're basically just fixing that glitch and making it count now.

Here's your image. It appeared broken on TapaTalk.
007bda766144d662ba41aa58a4955305.png

Ledsteplin

Ambassador
Oct 2, 2013
Visit site

I'm not concerned with this. I don't use Hotspots much at all. 15 gb sounds better than 10. If 10 hasn't been enforced, it would have been at some point. If you get throttled, maybe it won't be as bad as you think.

Almeuit

Trusted Member
Apr 14, 2014
Visit site

I'm not concerned with this. I don't use Hotspots much at all. 15 gb sounds better than 10. If 10 hasn't been enforced, it would have been at some point. If you get throttled, maybe it won't be as bad as you think.
Yeah I'm fine with 15. The throttle though is really bad. It basically makes it useless.

Quis89

Ambassador
Feb 6, 2012
Visit site

I hardy, if ever, used my hotspot. On occasion I'd tether my daughters Kindle Fire to my hotspot. That's literally the only thing I use it for since I've got cellular service on my iPad Pro. This enhancement is cool though.

nikkisharif

Ambassador
Jun 2, 2011
Visit site

That's what I was speaking of. Not sure if the throttling will be any worse but we'll see next week.

Thank you!!

Almeuit

Trusted Member
Apr 14, 2014
Visit site

That's what I was speaking of. Not sure if the throttling will be any worse but we'll see next week.

Oh if you go over 15 GB on hotspot now it will definitely be worse. Way way way worse then any minor slow down you may have seen so far. The only slow downs you would see now or before Sept 6th would be due to congestion. After Sept 6th using 15 GB means a hard throttle for the whole cycle of 600 kbps on the hotspot (not KB/sec but kbps). It will be very noticeable.

Almeuit

Trusted Member
Apr 14, 2014
Visit site

I hardy, if ever, used my hotspot. On occasion I'd tether my daughters Kindle Fire to my hotspot. That's literally the only thing I use it for since I've got cellular service on my iPad Pro. This enhancement is cool though.

Well it really isn't an enhancement -- more of a bug fix to enforce the 15 GB cap. Before they decided to fix it everyone basically had unlimited tether.

I simply made the post to let people know. I know a few people who have been using their tether a bunch so just getting the word out that they're fixing this glitch so unlimited hotspot won't be a thing anymore :p.

Quis89

Ambassador
Feb 6, 2012
Visit site

Well it really isn't an enhancement -- more of a bug fix to enforce the 15 GB cap. Before they decided to fix it everyone basically had unlimited tether.

I simply made the post to let people know. I know a few people who have been using their tether a bunch so just getting the word out that they're fixing this glitch so unlimited hotspot won't be a thing anymore :p.

It is an enhancement because by design we were only supposed to get 10 GB. The bug didn't allow everyone unlimited hotspot as my brother uses hotspot and definitely noticed reduced speeds when he went past his 10 GB. But it's an enhancement because now he's getting 15 GB rather than the 10 GB that the plan previously included.

Almeuit

Trusted Member
Apr 14, 2014
Visit site

It is an enhancement because by design we were only supposed to get 10 GB. The bug didn't allow everyone unlimited hotspot as my brother uses hotspot and definitely noticed reduced speeds when he went past his 10 GB. But it's an enhancement because now he's getting 15 GB rather than the 10 GB that the plan previously included.

The 15 GB was done before this was ever posted. That isn't part of the "enhancement" ;).

nikkisharif

Ambassador
Jun 2, 2011
Visit site

Oh if you go over 15 GB on hotspot now it will definitely be worse. Way way way worse then any minor slow down you may have seen so far. The only slow downs you would see now or before Sept 6th would be due to congestion. After Sept 6th using 15 GB means a hard throttle for the whole cycle of 600 kbps on the hotspot (not KB/sec but kbps). It will be very noticeable.

I get that but we still won't know for sure until after Sept. 6. I'll report back once I've tested it out.

Quis89

Ambassador
Feb 6, 2012
Visit site

The 15 GB was done before this was ever posted. That isn't part of the "enhancement" ;).

I think you're reading this wrong. This isn't saying that people were getting unlimited hotspot. The plan is called Verizon Unlimited. This is saying that those of us on the Verizon Unlimited plan will get our 15 GB of hotspot on the 6th. Until then, we are stuck with the 10 GB that our plan included. Anyone who signs up for Verizons Beyond plan is already getting the 15 GB. That is the "enhancement". The Verizon Unlimited Mobile Hotspot cap enforcement is moving up to 15 GB on the 6th. Until then, it remains at 10 GB.

Quis89

Ambassador
Feb 6, 2012
Visit site

The note you post literally says "Mobile Hotspot Enhancements". Thats not how a bug fix would be titled, lol.

Almeuit

Trusted Member
Apr 14, 2014
Visit site

I think you're reading this wrong. This isn't saying that people were getting unlimited hotspot. The plan is called Verizon Unlimited. This is saying that those of us on the Verizon Unlimited plan will get our 15 GB of hotspot on the 6th. Until then, we are stuck with the 10 GB that our plan included. Anyone who signs up for Verizons Beyond plan is already getting the 15 GB. That is the "enhancement". The Verizon Unlimited Mobile Hotspot cap enforcement is moving up to 15 GB on the 6th. Until then, it remains at 10 GB.

And I think you're reading what I said as wrong lol. I didn't mean for this to be a huge argument .. Just trying to help people out.

I have Verizon Unlimited. The 15 GB was already given to everyone on that plan. Don't believe me? Log in to your Verizon account on the Website and go to usage. Select a line and you will see a 15 GB hotspot limit versus 10 GB. Hence me saying this was implemented already and doesn't have anything to do with the Sept. 6th thing.

As for people on the Verizon Unlimited -- A LOT of people have been getting unlimited tethering. I follow carriers very closely and plenty of people on reddit have used 30,40,60,80 + GB on hotspot without the hard throttle kicking in (this is when it was 10 GB and with the 15 GB as it is now).

This "enhancement" fixes those people that were getting that "unlimited" hotspot without the hard throttle. The 5 GB bonus for us on the February Unlimited plan was already granted to us the day they announced the "Beyond Unlimited" plan. Hence why I said what I said.

I hope that helps clear it up.

Almeuit

Trusted Member
Apr 14, 2014
Visit site

The note you post literally says "Mobile Hotspot Enhancements". Thats not how a bug fix would be titled, lol.

Then how can they enhance something on Sept 6th when they already gave it out the day they changed the plans? ;). They're just fixing so that red text about throttle actually kicks in. Example of my account below.

Attachments

• vzwusage.png
    vzwusage.png
    34.9 KB · Views: 1

Quis89

Ambassador
Feb 6, 2012
Visit site

And I think you're reading what I said as wrong lol. I didn't mean for this to be a huge argument .. Just trying to help people out.

I have Verizon Unlimited. The 15 GB was already given to everyone on that plan. Don't believe me? Log in to your Verizon account on the Website and go to usage. Select a line and you will see a 15 GB hotspot limit versus 10 GB. Hence me saying this was implemented already and doesn't have anything to do with the Sept. 6th thing.

As for people on the Verizon Unlimited -- A LOT of people have been getting unlimited tethering. I follow carriers very closely and plenty of people on reddit have used 30,40,60,80 + GB on hotspot without the hard throttle kicking in (this is when it was 10 GB and with the 15 GB as it is now).

This "enhancement" fixes those people that were getting that "unlimited" hotspot without the hard throttle. The 5 GB bonus for us on the February Unlimited plan was already granted to us the day they announced the "Beyond Unlimited" plan. Hence why I said what I said.

I hope that helps clear it up.

Ok gotcha. The wording of Verizon's announcement and the title of it just seems odd and confusing.

Almeuit

Trusted Member
Apr 14, 2014
Visit site

Ok gotcha. The wording of Verizon's announcement and the title of it just seems odd and confusing.

I am glad that helped. I knew we were just mis-understanding each other :).

Verizon doesn't like to admit bug fixes, issues, etc. so they try and spin it off. Just like if you open your "My Verizon" app you will see on the front page they say "We have upgraded your hotspot" and talk about the 5 GB extra they gave per line. If you notice they never mention the 720 P max for HD video limit. They don't like to talk about bad things. If they do they try and spin it off to not sound as bad.

That said I still love their service and to be fair most carriers like to spin "bad" things into something that doesn't sound so harmful. Just have to dig in and see what they truly mean.

Quis89

Ambassador
Feb 6, 2012
Visit site

I am glad that helped. I knew we were just mis-understanding each other :).

Verizon doesn't like to admit bug fixes, issues, etc. so they try and spin it off. Just like if you open your "My Verizon" app you will see on the front page they say "We have upgraded your hotspot" and talk about the 5 GB extra they gave per line. If you notice they never mention the 720 P max for HD video limit. They don't like to talk about bad things. If they do they try and spin it off to not sound as bad.

That said I still love their service and to be fair most carriers like to spin "bad" things into something that doesn't sound so harmful. Just have to dig in and see what they truly mean.

As with all carriers. They always brush the negatives under the rug lol.

And yes, all a misunderstanding. Sorry about that!

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
forwardsmychoice