Verizon Brings Back Unlimited Data, what are you going to do with it all?

robertk328

Jun 7, 2010
Visit site
The thing to remember is it's 22 GB per line. I'm not sure about your usage, but no single line on my account was using more than 20 GB. So if your combined usage on the previous plan never really exceeded 25 GB, I don't see you noticing the prioritization of the 22 GB per line.

That is what my favorite part of this is. When the rep explained that it's not 22 GB for the entire account, instead it's per line.

22GB per line is a huge difference. If we were getting close to our 24GB (total for all 3) it might be worth it but the $35 increase in cost isn't.

Ledsteplin

Ambassador
Oct 2, 2013
Visit site
22GB per line is a huge difference. If we were getting close to our 24GB (total for all 3) it might be worth it but the $35 increase in cost isn't.

22gb is not a restriction or limitation that automatically occurs each month. The prioritizing would not happen very often, and when it did you wouldn't notice it as you might when throttled.

Chuck_loads

Sep 3, 2016
Visit site
I went to Verizon from sprint in late 2012 missed original unlimited an always went over my data cap. Roll around 2014 went to T-Mobile an hated it reception was almost none but it improved vastly over the last couple years in central Texas an finally was happy with them overall. But as soon as I get outside of a highway corridor or city area no service. Back on Verizon now unlimited an vet discount paying about 7$ more a month single line but i bet I can get service on the moon it feels like an I'm happy with it.

Quis89

Ambassador
Feb 6, 2012
Visit site
22gb is not a restriction or limitation that automatically occurs each month. The prioritizing would not happen very often, and when it did you wouldn't notice it as you might when throttled.

This. I feel like I've read a lot of people discussing this plan across the internet and this 22 GB is being positioned as a limit. It really isn't. It just means there is a possibility our data will be placed at a lower priority. We probably wouldn't even notice it as you said. I think people are hung up on that caveat. But honestly, every unlimited plan offered by every carrier has something just like that. Sprint is 23 GB, T Mobile is 28 GB and AT&T is 22 GB. It's really nothing new.

Spencerdl

Apple Watch Champion
Jan 10, 2013
Visit site
I must admit that the Verizon Unlimited Data plans are not for everyone, but it sure is for me. I ended up saving $42.50 monthly, yes almost unbelievable, but after doing the math myself and then with three different Verizon reps...this savings is indeed correct. It doesn't get to much better than that.

Quis89

Ambassador
Feb 6, 2012
Visit site
I must admit that the Verizon Unlimited Data plans are not for everyone, but it sure is for me. I ended up saving $42.50 monthly, yes almost unbelievable, but after doing the math myself and then with three different Verizon reps...this savings is indeed correct. It doesn't get to much better than that.

That's insane. Really can't pass that up!

Almeuit

Trusted Member
Apr 14, 2014
Visit site
The original question was concerning throttling vs prioritizing and how Verizon Unlimited Data plan is using a prioritizing effect instead of throttling. I'm not sure how Sprints unlimited plan works nowadays, but years ago when I had Sprints unlimited plan in NJ, I never had any type of "slow downs" so Sprint could be using the same method. That also makes me wonder why other carriers use throttling.

All carriers do the same thing -- de-prioritization. Due to your traffic being de-prioritized it makes it slower. AT&T, Sprint, T-Mobile, and now Verizon all do this if you are over (X) amount of GB on that line and the tower is being slammed -- once it calms down your speed returns to normal.

The older plans of "Use (X) amount and be throttled 100% of the time" have been undone.

Spencerdl

Apple Watch Champion
Jan 10, 2013
Visit site
All carriers do the same thing -- de-prioritization. Due to your traffic being de-prioritized it makes it slower. AT&T, Sprint, T-Mobile, and now Verizon all do this if you are over (X) amount of GB on that line and the tower is being slammed -- once it calms down your speed returns to normal.

The older plans of "Use (X) amount and be throttled 100% of the time" have been undone.

So what your saying is that "Throttling" and "Prioritizing" is the same thing and Verizon just choose to use a different word?

Almeuit

Trusted Member
Apr 14, 2014
Visit site
So what your saying is that "Throttling" and "Prioritizing" is the same thing and Verizon just choose to use a different word?

In a way yes but mainly when people think of throttling they all think of the old school "Use (X) amount of data and be throttled to 2g the rest of your cycle" -- What Verizon and all of them are doing is de-prioritizing during congestion which basically means their traffic goes first before yours. This could have the potential to cause some speed reduction or it could just maybe take your request a few extra seconds to get through to start loading a webpage (or whatever).

Basically it is like going to a park and you are in the normal line and people pass you because they have the Express Pass. You still get to go on the ride but at a slower rate since you don't have an Express Pass -- or in the case of data you went over their 22 GB limit and the tower is being rocked. Unlike the Express Pass you get to be back on even footing as soon as you get on a less crowded tower (or the one you're on gets less traffic on it).

Hope that helps :p.

Spencerdl

Apple Watch Champion
Jan 10, 2013
Visit site
In a way yes but mainly when people think of throttling they all think of the old school "Use (X) amount of data and be throttled to 2g the rest of your cycle" -- What Verizon and all of them are doing is de-prioritizing during congestion which basically means their traffic goes first before yours. This could have the potential to cause some speed reduction or it could just maybe take your request a few extra seconds to get through to start loading a webpage (or whatever).

Basically it is like going to a park and you are in the normal line and people pass you because they have the Express Pass. You still get to go on the ride but at a slower rate since you don't have an Express Pass -- or in the case of data you went over their 22 GB limit and the tower is being rocked. Unlike the Express Pass you get to be back on even footing as soon as you get on a less crowded tower (or the one you're on gets less traffic on it).

Hope that helps :p.

Oh I understand that concept. Just curious as to why the other carriers consider using the word "Throttling" vs "Prioritizing" if there one and the same. I was under the impression with the other carriers that once you go over the allotted gb your data services speed will be reduced until the cycle starts again and with Verizon it's more of the standing in line concept.

Almeuit

Trusted Member
Apr 14, 2014
Visit site
Oh I understand that concept. Just curious as to why the other carriers consider using the word "Throttling" vs "Prioritizing" if there one and the same. I was under the impression with the other carriers that once you go over the allotted gb your data services speed will be reduced until the cycle starts again and with Verizon it's more of the standing in line concept.

They don't -- They used to use the term "Throttle" or "throttling" back in the day but they don't anymore. Verizon is just saying what they all say. I will quote what each carrier says from their fine print.

T-Mobile
top 3% of data users (>28GB/mo.) may notice reduced speeds due to prioritization.

AT&T
Data Restrictions: After 22GB of data usage on a line in a bill cycle, AT&T may slow the data on that line during periods of network congestion for the remainder of that cycle.

Sprint
Data deprioritization applies during times of congestion

Verizon
After 22GB/LINE/MO, we may prioritize your data behind other Verizon customers during network congestion.

As you can see they all say the same thing :).

Spencerdl

Apple Watch Champion
Jan 10, 2013
Visit site
They don't -- They used to use the term "Throttle" or "throttling" back in the day but they don't anymore. Verizon is just saying what they all say. I will quote what each carrier says from their fine print.

T-Mobile

AT&T

Sprint

Verizon

I see/read. You must admit Verizon has a way of putting it so you think you're getting something better. The word "Prioritize" sounds so eloquent. ❤️

Almeuit

Trusted Member
Apr 14, 2014
Visit site
I see/read. You must admit Verizon has a way of putting it so you think you're getting something better. The word "Prioritize" sounds so eloquent. ❤️

Haha. Sounds nice but always the same -- I am a fine print reader all day. I always ignore the big letters that scream "DEAL HERE LOOK AT THIS" since the fine print will tell me all I want to know.

That said I am still swapping tomorrow from T-Mobile to Verizon. Pricing wise we will pay the same and I can apply my military discount. We will just gain a free phone for my GF and my friend on my account -- and just gain coverage.

Quis89

Ambassador
Feb 6, 2012
Visit site

T-Mobile

AT&T

Sprint

Verizon

Put much better than I could have. This is what I meant when I said all carriers are doing the same thing. :yes:

TLD1

Retired Moderator
Jul 19, 2008
Visit site
I was extremely tempted to jump to the Unlimited Data plan, since I have both an iPhone 7 Plus and a Verizon iPad Pro...until I read that Verizon makes you dump your employee discount, which is the only reason I jumped from AT&T (well...the biggest reason anyway) two years ago. The discount by being a General Motors employee (Sales Manager at a GM dealership) saves me 22%...and that's pretty substantial. The 22% saves me more than an Unlimited plan would, at least by my calculations.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
smitty22d2