Verizon Brings Back Unlimited Data, what are you going to do with it all?

Quis89

Ambassador
Feb 6, 2012
Visit site
So...my tablet would be unlimited to it's capping point, and my phone would be unlimited to it's capping point? Basically 44 GB of data? If that's the case I'm swapping and moving my iPad into my truck for the kids.

Screen Shot 2017-02-15 at 3.51.04 PM.png

I give up...lol
The guy I spoke with over the phone yesterday said it was per line. This guy on the chat says it's per account. I'd be interested in what others have been told.

Quis89

Ambassador
Feb 6, 2012
Visit site
Me too, because I'm looking for a legitimate reason to jump on board and pay $10 more a month! I know it's just $10, but it's my $10 lol

https://community.verizonwireless.com/thread/927508?q=Is the 22GB p

There is a lot of confusion around this apparently. I'm assuming/hoping it's 22GB per line. I couldn't imagine them releasing an unlimited plan and placing a soft limit of 22GB on the entire account when they had a plan that allowed for 24 GB shared LTE data. And the guy that I spoke with specifically told me it was per line. He of course could be wrong...but I couldn't imagine it being based on the account.

Spencerdl

Apple Watch Champion
Jan 10, 2013
Visit site
Just got off the phone with a good friend of mine who actually works for Verizon and it's 22gb per line on The Verizon Unlimited Data plan.
He just informed me that as hard as he's been working the past couple of days, it seems like the whole world is switching. LOL

Ledsteplin

Ambassador
Oct 2, 2013
Visit site
Just got off the phone with a good friend of mine who actually works for Verizon and it's 22gb per line on The Verizon Unlimited Data plan.
He just informed me that as hard as he's been working the past couple of days, it seems like the whole world is switching. LOL

Did you ask your friend about the 22 gb prioritizing? Is there a difference between that and throttling? Verizon has said it could slow data a little, but won't happen much and you won't likely notice.

Spencerdl

Apple Watch Champion
Jan 10, 2013
Visit site
Did you ask your friend about the 22 gb prioritizing? Is there a difference between that and throttling? Verizon has said it could slow data a little, but won't happen much and you won't likely notice.

Exactly. Verizon isn't using the "throttling" effect, but instead a "prioritizing" effect, which means that if someone or some people are using the same tower at the exact same time as you and hasn't reached the 22gb allotment they would have priority. I'm curious how that's going to work and I guess I will see near the end of my cycle if I go over 22gb for the month.

Last edited:

MizWylie

Champion
Jul 2, 2015
Visit site
Exactly. Verizon isn't using the "throttling" effect, but instead a "prioritizing" effect, which means that if someone or some people are using the same tower at the exact same time as you and hasn't reached the 22gb allotment they would have priority. I'm curious how that's going to work and I guess I will see near the end of my cycle if I go over 22gb for the month.

Oh Lordy. I live in Montana. This is the plan for me!

Spencerdl

Apple Watch Champion
Jan 10, 2013
Visit site
I apologize for leaving a very important part out of the "prioritizing" effect comments, "it's only if that tower is at maximum capacity at that time" which is indeed rare. Ladies and Gentlemen...Verizon did it right.

Quis89

Ambassador
Feb 6, 2012
Visit site
I apologize for leaving a very important part out of the "prioritizing" effect comments, "it's only if that tower is at maximum capacity at that time" which is indeed rare. Ladies and Gentlemen...Verizon did it right.

Isn't that how all the carriers handle their network prioritization? Or is there a difference among the carriers in this regard? I recall working at Sprint and that's how it was explained to us in the way Sprint handled it.

Spencerdl

Apple Watch Champion
Jan 10, 2013
Visit site
Isn't that how all the carriers handle their network prioritization? Or is there a difference among the carriers in this regard? I recall working at Sprint and that's how it was explained to us in the way Sprint handled it.

The original question was concerning throttling vs prioritizing and how Verizon Unlimited Data plan is using a prioritizing effect instead of throttling. I'm not sure how Sprints unlimited plan works nowadays, but years ago when I had Sprints unlimited plan in NJ, I never had any type of "slow downs" so Sprint could be using the same method. That also makes me wonder why other carriers use throttling.

Last edited:

nikkisharif

Ambassador
Jun 2, 2011
Visit site
The pricing structure isn't something that will compel me to switch providers. It's just an annoyance. And you're right that companies shouldn't have to coddle to us based on what another company is doing. But they should consider it if they want to remain competitive. Otherwise this thread wouldn't have been created because Verizon would have never brought unlimited back. They didn't do it because they want to...they did it because they had to. Thanks to T Mobile.

Different strokes for different folks. I'm loyal to what works and don't necessarily shop around especially when it comes to mobile carriers. It's too much of a headache. Yes t-mobile got all the carriers to add unlimited data but I honestly don't think any of them would have gone bankrupt if they hadn't....maybe Sprint LOL. For me, t-mobile would be 30% less than what I pay for 5 lines on Verizon, but it's not worth switching if the service sucks in about 80% of the places we go. The day Verizon stops working in the various cities I travel to, is the day I'll switch service. Can't risk it lol

nikkisharif

Ambassador
Jun 2, 2011
Visit site
I totally agree with you Nikki. It's been my experience that Verizon is one of the best if not the best mobile phone companies out there. It seems as though all other carriers are playing catch up with all different types of gimmicks to get you to come to their business. I feel that Verizon is very good at having many different options as a carrier. Verizon's unlimited data plan is definitely a game changer....again.

I refuse to switch...even if my bill never goes down!! I gotta have service in BFE

nikkisharif

Ambassador
Jun 2, 2011
Visit site

They do the same with Safety Mode & I've never had any issue with speed when I go over my allotted data & I was in Boston last time I went over. So either everyone was over their allotment and I was prioritized ahead of the pack or Verizon's slow speeds are just the bomb.com It's pretty nice

cwbcpa

Trusted Member
Mar 23, 2011
Visit site
Different strokes for different folks. I'm loyal to what works and don't necessarily shop around especially when it comes to mobile carriers. It's too much of a headache. Yes t-mobile got all the carriers to add unlimited data but I honestly don't think any of them would have gone bankrupt if they hadn't....maybe Sprint LOL. For me, t-mobile would be 30% less than what I pay for 5 lines on Verizon, but it's not worth switching if the service sucks in about 80% of the places we go. The day Verizon stops working in the various cities I travel to, is the day I'll switch service. Can't risk it lol

This. Exactly this. I do price shop but mostly just out of curiosity. I'm not sacrificing service to save a few bucks on my bill.

nikkisharif

Ambassador
Jun 2, 2011
Visit site
This. Exactly this. I do price shop but mostly just out of curiosity. I'm not sacrificing service to save a few bucks on my bill.

Right...Sacrificing isn't an option!! I do like T-mobile's "fees" commercial LOL..it's hilarious because it's accurate but it doesn't make me want to switch. It just makes me want to watch the commercial again

Quis89

Ambassador
Feb 6, 2012
Visit site

I hear you. At the end of the day service is what matters. Pay for what works in the places you frequent. Lower prices mean nothing if you're not gaining. That's where the value comes in. But if T Mobile worked in all the places Verizon does AND they were a fair amount cheaper....I'd definitely make the switch. As consumers I feel we have to speak with our wallets. And if the competition is offering equal for less...I'll at least give them the chance to prove themselves. Otherwise, these companies would take advantage of us. Competition is great. If it were just AT&T and Verizon...we'd all be paying outrageous prices for these phones lol.

None of the companies would have gone bankrupt...but it's no surprise that T Mobile and Sprint were the only two carriers who posted gains in the 4th quarter last year. People are waking up. The race for the best network is closing and Verizon won't hold that lead forever. I'm personally excited and I love whats happening in wireless right now. In the end...we all win. Better plans, better data options, lower prices. Whats not to like about that? So long as Verizon has the network advantage...they've got my money. But once another carrier takes that top spot...I'm out if Verizon prices aren't competitive lol. It's not a hassle at all. I switched 4 lines from Sprint to Verizon earlier this year. Took me all of 10 minutes and a restore of my iPhone.

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
smitty22d2